What's new

This Is A Bit Scary... (DC Sniper merged thread) (1 Viewer)

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Another depressing thought is that if the killer stopped right now and destroyed his gun, there would be absolutely no way of catching him (there is no evidence or witnesses).

Chris Knox

Stunt Coordinator
He wouldn't HAVE to destroy his gun. He'd just need to buy a new upper assembly and keep going. The investigators would view it as a second gun...

Chris

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Last night on nightline they were talking to some gas station workers. One guy put a huge fan blocking off the view to his pumps so people will feel a little safer (he picked a big white van which I thought was a little strange). Another worker said she's notice people crouch down behind the pumps and the cars while they pump. Other people have been seen zig zagging and running to pay and get out as fast as possible. And kids have been seen running back and forth zig zagging when they are outside. People are wearing less bright colors outside and more darker colors to blend in with the surroundings. This is no way to live.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Disclaimer: I heard the following information quickly, so I may not have heard it exactly correct.
I just heard Dan Abrams on MSNBC report that Baltimore police have a suspect in for questioning in regards to the Washington, DC area sniper attacks. Abrams said that Baltimore police were investigating a domestic dispute in which a woman shot her boyfriend. During the course of their investigation, they found a white Chevy Astro van, presumably at the scene of the dispute. In the van was a rifle, a piece of paper marked "Jihad", and a book on sniping. Abrams also said that the person is a former military shooting instructor and is now a repairman of some sort. His repair route includes Washington, DC and the surrounding suburbs. At this point, the police are seeking a federal search warrant.
Did anyone else hear this story? I found nothing about it on msnbc.com cnn.com foxnews.com or Yahoo!.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Yes, I heard it, but I did not hear this part:

Abrams also said that the person is a former military shooting instructor and is now a repairman of some sort. His repair route includes Washington, DC and the surrounding suburbs. At this point, the police are seeking a federal search warrant.
I only heard that the boyfriend was not a suspect but had agreed to be questioned by police. Heard nothing about a warrant...

CharlesD

Screenwriter
HEre's a link: http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Da...ngs021014.html
They found him in a white Astro Van, apparently wounded following a dispute with his girlfriend. They found maps and police scanner in the van. The searched his apartment and found guns and books on sniping. One gun was an AR-15 which apparently is consistent with the gun used in the killings. They test fired it and it is NOT the gun used in the murders. They do apparently think he has another similar gun.
I hope this is the guy and this madness is over. But how many people out there have white vans and an interest in guns? If he is a delivery guy, the maps and even the police scanner are not out of place.
It does seem that this guy is a good suspect though.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
It seems there's been another shooting in Fairfax VA at a Home Depot. That's the city where my college is, and I've been to that Home Depot before. This guy has to be stopped.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
My sister-in-law just drove home to her home in N. Virginia and had to go through a police "stop" to get off of Route 95. Haven't seen any news on the websites other than what's posted above.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Seeing as how no other news source is reporting about the guy in custody I'm kinda thinking its wrong information. I wish it were true but with another shooting tonight I think its not. We'll know more in the morning though (thats not very helpful for those living in the area though).

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
said Louise Marthens, a Montgomery County police spokeswoman.

Baltimore police say the white van's owner, a 37-year-old former Marine, was shot by his girlfriend over the weekend in his southwest Baltimore apartment.
(Italics added)

Evidently Marthens was right, given that there's been another shooting in Falls Church while this guy is still in custody. There's been some speculation that either the suspect or his girlfriend may have been planning to kill the other and make it look like another sniper shooting, given the coincidence of their already owning an Astro van and the right kind of guns. The sniper manual may have been a recent acquisition.

Regards,

Joe

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping against all hope that the guy they caught is "the guy," and the shooting in Fairfax is unrelated, but it doesn't seem too likely.:frowning:

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Maybe the police agencies are just inundated with leads and haven't been able to follow-up on them all, but I find it incredulous that this guy or guys has managed to avoid suspicion from family, friends, neighbors, co-workers etc. Someone has to know a person that drives a truck or van like this and who hasn't been home at the times of these shootings. Really disturbing.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it looks like the Baltimore police had the wrong guy in custody. The psychological profile of a serial killer often indicates, among other things, that the person is a loner. So, this person may have no one around to notice behavioral changes or disappearances coincident with the times that the murders have been committed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least 3 people in on the sniper operation. One to shoot, one to drive, and one to act as a lookout.

Eyeswitnesses (from the latest shooting last night at a Home Depot) reported that the vehicle was a cream colored Astro van, with one of the tail lights (the left one, I think) not working.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
My wife and I were driving home on the highway last night when all Hell broke out. Cops were blocking all the major on/off ramps. They literally stopped traffic around the entire beltway but it still took them 30 minutes to do it. I'm very familiar with the Home depot where it took place and that location has very easy access to go in a number of different directions very easily. 30 minutes from that location and you could be half way into DC or easily into maryland. Hope they catch the person(s) soon.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks