thinking of new project using AL1804 driver

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Brock, Apr 14, 2004.

1. JulianS

JulianS Auditioning

im no expert on this, but wouldn't there be organ pipe/port resonance issues with such a long port? looking in unibox a 38 " long/deep port will resonate at about 160 hz

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Yes, ports will resonate at certain frequencies. If they become too long that frequency can dip too low and cause problems.

3. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

I might actually just end up going with an single 8" port. like the one in the XXX box above. that driver has a ton a displacement so if he has no problems with noise then i dont think i would. plus going with the slot port i would loose alot more internal airspace so the box would have to be larger.

4. JulianS

JulianS Auditioning

will a slot port with a bend in it have the same resonance problem?

5. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Julian that is a good question. I've heard people say yes, and people say no.

The people who say yes reference a tuba. It's all bent up but still plays low notes.

The people who say no say that the a folded port is broken up and less prone to resonate.

I tend to lean towards the yes, it will still resonate camp, but I really don't know a firm answer.

6. JulianS

JulianS Auditioning

Interesting, i think as long as you cross the sub over low enough the port resonance won't be a problem, the only thing is the resonance might support harmonic distortion, but even then I wonder if it will be noticable.

7. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I just got a few of the AL1804s I am starting off with a 6 cuft net sealed box , i'll play with it awhile with my QSC 1850HD bridged for 1800 watts and my BFD then go from there.

8. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I ended up using my 2 1804s in an IB, my wall is moving nearly 1/2" , see the video in this thread over at HTT.
    http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/viewtopic.php?t=6686

The 1804s are sweet, sweet ..snatch these up because they kick some serious tail! I can clip my QSC 1850HD and still I cannot get these drivers to bottom whatsoever! My meter don't read higher than 126dbs but I know I have been up in the 130s for a short time..this is the first time I have ever achieved these sort of SPLs.

9. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

man!! this is really making me ancious to hear mine. i have my BFD and my XA-900 ready to go now. All i am waiting on is the 1804!! then it will be time to hit the table saw!!

10. Chris Brock

Chris Brock Second Unit

well when i finally get my driver I think I have decided on an enclosure. I think I am going to go with about 17.5ubes internal tuned to 15hz with a port that will be 3" x 28.5". Here is a quick drawing I did of what I have in mind. Any opinions would be greatly appriciated!!

[​IMG]

p.s. this drawing does not show the internal bracing. there will be alot of it!

11. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Boy, thats a lot of room for that driver! I have mine in 10 cubes and its flat to about 18Hz.