What's new

Thinking of buying Collateral 'blindly'.... Worth it? (1 Viewer)

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
The Grisham element is interesting. But it didn't take place in Mississippi and involve a cynical young/rookie lawyer. :)

It was a great movie up to the end. Then it went hackneyed and cliched, which is a shame. Jamie Foxx was amazing. Tom Cruise was... Tom Cruise. He has three facial expressions, and used them all.

The documentary is nice, as is Mann's commentary. And the gunshots are as ferocious as Open Range. The movie's ending was the only real downer for me.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
Forever true. Jada P, same thing, although there was a moment there when she softened a bit where I thought, "Wow, she does have a fourth facial expression!" I thought Jamie Foxx was the best -- now I can't wait to see RAY.

zomgjon

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan Chu
I enjoyed this movie a lot at the theatre. Mann's composition and photography was just outstanding. Eagerly awaiting my Amazon package. :)

A little disappointed that reviews of the DTS track say that it is a little front loaded.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
IGN said this had some great gunshot effects...anyone care to comment on that? I cant wait to spin this with DTS on.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I guess it's gonna be a Tom Cruise Tuesday with this and Top Gun: SE not too mention various promos on Cruise catalog titles at Best Buy. New release "Cruiseday?"

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
This was one of the best films of the year. I can't wait to see it again.

I think the use of DV added a lot to the film. It's a very different look and it matches the situation very well.

Bo M

Auditioning
Technically it's superb. Cinematography, performances, and the structure of the first half of the movie are awesome. The last portion of the movie is conventional but acceptable; keep in mind this is disappointing only because of the brilliance of the first half. I had the same feeling with Training Day; it almost seems to straddle the line between something a cineaste would go nuts over and something Joe Average-Moviegoer might enjoy. As a result, it's a slam-dunk for a fairly small group.

It's still better than most everything out there.

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel
I saw this movie last night. I think the negative comments in the posts above are too favorable. If I knew what I know now, I would neither buy nor rent it.

Keith E

Stunt Coordinator
I did a blind purchase on this one and am glad I did. Highly recommended viewing.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor

I also 'blind bought' this the Monday after Christmas. Absolutely loved it. :emoji_thumbsup: :) :emoji_thumbsup: I don't recall seeing Jamie Fox before, and I thought he did a wonderful job.

Tom Cruise was ... Tom Cruise - what can I say.;) :D

Carl_G

Stunt Coordinator
Jamie Foxx was stunning. I had no idea he could pull off acting like that.

Visually, it puts you right into the cab with them in a way you really don't see very often.

Also, any pistol enthusiasts out there, be sure to check out Cruise's work with his HK USP 45 in the alley. Some solid training behind those moves.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
I wouldn't hesitate buying this. Great movie even though I'm not a Tom Cruise fan. Foxx is amazing.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
A rental for sure - no replay value though.

BTW anyone interested in a drive to purchase some quality rechargeable batteries for the Writer's Guild? The fading cell phone battery must never rear its ugly head in cinema again!

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Saw the movie tonight. I have to say that now I’m officially afraid of the future digital cinema. I just simply hated the “digital” look of the movie. It took me out of the movie. Never felt like a “real” movie.......well, except the 35mm scenes! Only if they had shot the entire movie on 35mm. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks