What's new

Thinking forward to next week (cell Qs) (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Snow Leopard rumors are interesting. Taken at face value, it seems odd that a full step forward, from 10.5 to 10.6, would be nothing but stability improvements. I'd like to see bugs vanquished and stability improved -- I find the Mac no more stable than WinXP.

But making users pay solely to have things work the way they're supposed to work is bad mojo. I've already paid for a product, Leopard, that is supposed to work. Expecting me to pay twice, once for cool features, and then for cool features that actually work properly, doesn't sit well.

I'm looking forward to seeing what develops for 10.6.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I have a theory on why I think 10.6 will be day and date for next week, tho it scares me a bit: HDCP. Apple is way behind supporting BluRay disks and HDMI. Everyone expects a huge new selection of product refreshes, but if these are to contain either or both of these features they will have to support HDCP from the OS on up. Delivering stability, security and High Def all rolled into one. OSX does not support HDCP in any form at this time.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Jonathan, congrats! Please abuse this forum by asking us any
questions you may have. I am confident you will not miss your
PC anytime soon.

Jonathan_

Second Unit

I spent most of last night and today getting all of my stuff moved off my pc to my Mac. The only thing I can't move is DVD Profiler since it's not Mac supported. :frowning:
I know I can use Bootcamp or Parallels but I hate to put Windows on this beautiful machine. :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
What I'm hearing is that Snow Leopard is more than just a security/stability release. It's a transition release. Supposedly it will be Intel-only, all 64-bit, and there are also rumors that it will be all-Cocoa - the old Carbon APIs are being left behind. If this last is true, it affects a lot of important apps. Apple's own pro apps are Carbon (I believe), as well as Microsoft Office and Adobe's CS3 suite (although Adobe has already said CS4 will be Cocoa).

This sounds like Apple has decided to ditch all the legacy code which is no doubt contributing to the problems with the OS and go forward into the future with a clean 64-bit Intel baseline. My belief is that Leopard and Snow Leopard will exist in parallel, much like the regular & 64-bit versions of XP/Vista do (the name is no coincidence). I'm guessing that Steve will announce the Apple pro apps will be "Cocoa-fied" by the time Snow Leopard is released in 2009. There will be a transition period during which developers will be encouraged to write to the new base. Users who have shed themselves of PowerPC hardware and Carbon apps will be able to step up to Snow Leopard (likely for less than the normal $129 upgrade fee), otherwise you can stick with Leopard and not feel like you're missing out on snazzy new features. The break will be complete sometime in 2010, when 10.7 (or maybe they leap to 11?) arrives as a more tranditional Apple OS release with new features, etc., but will be 64-bit Intel Cocoa only.

Most of the above is complete speculation on my part, but it really makes sense to me. Apple is nearing the end of a pretty painless transition to Intel hardware; now it looks like they're ready to take us into the 64-bit future the same way. We should find out on Monday.

Jonathan_

Second Unit

The problem is I don't have a copy of XP to install on the Mac. I wish there was a way to move my copy off of my pc to my Mac.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've heard the same. But as a user, I don't care. Not unless must-have applications are released that then require this new environment. But on its own, there's no value. Certainly not $129 worth.

But we'll see. Apple's not had significant missteps lately, so they'll do something sensible with 10.6 It'll be worth the money in some manner.

Well, the one upgrade I wish for the most is VIDEO_TS playback on AppleTV. If that were available, I'd buy an AppleTV and a 1TB drive the next day, build my media center, and get all these DVDs and CDs out of the living room.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Oh, agreed. If there's no reason to upgrade, don't (relatively few users have bought the 64-bit version of Windows).

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Nothing on order for Monday. It's looking less likely that the new iPhone will be out on Monday. I still think it will Friday at the earliest.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If memory serves me correctly, Jobs has a history of announcing things in his keynote at WWDC but having them available later that week/month. He'll say things like "it's available today (through the Apple online store) and shipping to stores today" so that perhaps by Thursday or Friday after his keynote they'll appear in the brick and mortar stores. So the lack of something on order for Monday doesn't alarm me too much. We'll all know in about 30 hours :D

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Get DVDPedia (from Bruji.com) -- it will import your DVDProfiler data. A lot of us swear by it. No Bootcamp/Parallels needed.

The only thing I ever used Bootcamp for was ESPN360, and now it's Mac compatible.

iPhone: Anyone know of TMobile's early termination policy (for my wife)? And I wonder how AT&T will handle the upgrade iPhone to 3G iPhone and then give old iPhone to family member? Well, I guess we'll know soon enough.

Release date: I think Apple will pre-announce a day (I'd guess this coming weekend) so they can repeat the lines and publicity of last year's original release.

Me: It won't be .me, it will be me.com or mobileme.com Frankly I always hated .Mac (.NET anyone). Bring back iTools! ;)

Ted

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Just saw a brief story on Macworld about a program I've long been pining for...SlingPlayer for the iPhone. I still frequently use the SlingPlayer software on my Treo, especially during baseball and hockey season. It will be nice to finally ditch it when my contract expires in July.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well the vacation to NYC and Boston is costing me quite a bit (which I anticipated) so the extra time to save up for the 3G iPhone is appreciated.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Well tonight I got my Razor2 to USB cable and used the Motorola tools that shipped with it to slurp my contacts off the phone and put them into a standard format, then used the export tool on several gmail accounts and made one monster address book and then spent 3 hours weeding out the ones I didnt want, the duplicates and other junk. Tough but worth it. Never again will I have this data in a proprietary format.

The bad news is I did it on my windows box and the address book tool kept getting corrupted every time I tried to change a default email address, no idea why that was happening and google was no help, so I plan on exporting that and brining it into something else to make some final edits... But its done and it feels so good and looks so cool scrolling through em all on the touch, cant wait till its on the iP3G!

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks