What's new

Thinking about getting my very first tattoo, does it hurt much? (2 Viewers)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
As I'm pretty much sleeved; it does depend on were you're getting it. Notice these big-buff cats with a tribal band around their bicep and more times than not the band stops just as you get to the tender underside of the arm. Hahahahaha The fill-in is less painful as it's several needle(s) doing the fill. An answer to the original query; yes it hurts! it's a needle going into your skin. And a few sips of alcohol will not make much of difference and most guys slinging don't care. You just don't go in tanked off your ass or they just won't work on you.

John, the upper-bicep is a really cake spot. Now the stomach, the tops of your feet, or the crease of where the bicep meets the forearm... smarts!!! Slap that shit on yer chest.... be a man JEEZ!! LOL :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
A very good friend of mine who has an EXTREMELY high pain tolerance got real light headed in the middle and was advised to eat so he pounded some McDonald's...

AaronMg

Stunt Coordinator
I have a polynesian tribal around my ankle which took just over 4 hours to finish. I was pretty nervous before-hand as i hate needles, but the pain wasnt all that bad. As others have mentioned, the first 1-10 minutes are somewhat rough, but after that you get accostumed to the pain. Areas on the bone feel a little akward, as the vibrations from the needle vibrate all the bones in the surrounding area. If I were to describe the feeling, I would say it resembles a hot razer vibrating on your skin.

Hope that helped. Good luck and enjoy your new tattoo!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I got mine (around the ankle) when they hit the bone, it felt almost being ellecrocuted...the vibrations rang out through my leg and my muscles started to cramp a bit. It wasn't painful as it was freaky.

Actually, that was the only point when I said "ouch" outloud. Dem' bones! Ugh!

Kyle McCabe

Stunt Coordinator
Tattoos hurt, period. Especially on thin skin. But I've found that the pain turns into something more like some obnoxious "numb" feeling that somehow makes the experience more enjoyable. Weird.

It also depends on the artist. Some guys have heavier hands than others, and some are just less experienced artists who haven't developed a good sense of their needle depth.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Keep in mind that they are like Lays Potato Chips. It's hard to have just one.

I still fantasize about getting rippling muscles tattooed all over my body. Then when I'm 80 and flabby I'll still have a six-pack.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
A few bits of advice from a very inked friend of mine:

1) Don't sit on your wallet for this one. Pay for a good artist.
2) Have the artist draw out on paper what you want. If it isn't right, SAY SO.
3) Take two Aleve 1/2 hour before your appointment for the ink, and two more once you are there. It should dull the pain to a tolerable level.
4) If you suspect something is going wrong with the ink, stop the artist and look at it. Don't wait until it is done.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - Tell me about it! After my first one, the artist said "I'll see you back here for your next one" and I was like :eek: (sarcastically) "YEAH RIGHT!!!"

Well, I'm on my 3rd one and I really want to do more. :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Thanks. :emoji_thumbsup: But, isn't taking 4 Aleve tables in the space of a half hour dangerous? Would extra strength Tylenol work?

And trust me, this will be my first and last tattoo. Like I said, i'm just not a tattoo type of guy, but I want at least one in my lifetime and the Superman shield really is the only thing that I like enough to get a tattoo of. Well, that and Star Wars, but I don't plan on getting any SW tattoo's.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
John, I would avoid taking any kind of pain medication unless you research it first. I forget, but doesn't tylenol thin your blood? That might be a poor choice considering most tattoos bleed a bit.

The link from Dougs post is very helpful. :emoji_thumbsup:

As far as after treatment, this is highly recommended: A+D Ointment

Buzz Foster

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I don't know about the dangers of Aleve, but I am relaying what my friend does. Definitely research it for yourself. i should have put that disclaimer in to begin with.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That should probably read 'maximum safe dosage' and not recommended. :) Although now with that study that will probably be rethought.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
LOL. I haven't gotten it yet, i'm waiting until the next time I go down to MD to visit my best friend, she agreed to go with me for moral support. ;)

That'll be the weekend of August 18th.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks