What's new

Thinking about getting a projector... (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
IKEA is the way to go if you want nice looking and inexpensive. Snag a couple Pello armchairs and you're there. You could probably mount a cup holder in the wood armrest. :)

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10114*10292

If there's no Ikea nearby, Target has the same kind of chairs (just saw them on the shelf yesterday) for around the same price.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'd spend the extra bucks and get the Poang chairs. I have a couple in my home theater, and they are great.

Jason

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks for the suggestions on the chairs guys. I'll definitely go with one of them. So, you think the Poang is worth the extra $140?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Nevermind. I don't have an Ikea near me, and the Poang is only available in the B&M.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The price of the Poang varies in price depending on the type of pad you buy. Basic black cloth pad puts it at $99.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Nice looking chair at target. BTW, screen did arrive...now "this is where the fun begins..." :D I actually mean the fun of installing it. I'm not very good with tools. ;)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Looks good to me!

I have the cloth one. The chairs actually recline a bit, which is actually pretty good for movie watching; not so great for reading. But that's nothing a pillow can't solve.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Sweet deal, I bought it. Thank you for all the help guys! I couldn't have found that nice chair without you :)

BTW...mounted my screen last night. I've been taking pictures documenting my process. I'll be sure to post them after I get everything done. It'll be interesting, because I'm putting the theater right where my Star Wars collection used to be (pics in the sig).

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It's still in the same area, it's just organized differently. I'm sure you'll find the pics interesting :)

It was a real bitch to move the stuff too. I think I threw out my back :D

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I have one more question. I don't have too much ambient light down there, but there is a window that I need to cover. Is there any place that sells black-out curtains online?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I've always had problems with creating a dark room. I went with drapes, but they are so 70's and bulky...I just bought some room darkening blinds at Home Depot.

They are the Bali "Midnight" collection. I haven't put them up yet, but my parents have them in their bedroom and they are SWEET! They are the 'cellular' (i.e. double honeycomb) type and they make the fabric extra thick so no light penetrates.

I can't WAIT to get them up in my new place.

They aren't the 'cheap' way to go, but the prices weren't bad either (for what you get). Home Depot has a 15% off Bali 'special orders' through the end of this month. Since the midnight collection was special order, I got the discount. My windows are like 35x60 and they were like $130/each after the discount. :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I may look at that for a long term solution, but in the meantime, I'm pretty cash-poor :)

...and I don't mind tacky :D

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Matt I have a corner window that was pretty hard to hide that early evening Sun. Brutal in fact. But with some nice blinds, 2 round of curtains....no light AT ALL comes in. Ever. My only issue is my front door will leak a little light during the day eventhough I used weather stripping. :frowning: Bummer. Not a biggie since I'm usually at work during the day. Even so, the light from the door is very small.

Plus, with the 4805 you're getting, the contrast is really good so a little light will be ok. I even keep a lamp on in the kitchen so I can see a little. :)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, I'm not worried about blacking everything out entirely...just decreasing the ambient light.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Got my screen installed Tuesday night. It's a little hard to get used to since the one in the pics down below in Club Timobi Wan was so much wider with the 8-10 inch black borders. But that was also overkill and kind of dominated the room when not in use.

I am going to make some type of wider black border though. Also, I thought this baby had 4 black borders, but it has only 3. The sides and the bottom. The top is just white with no real stopping point.

Still, it's great and I don't mean to sound negative. One great thing that I shouldn't take for granted is how flat the screen is. My previous DIY job began buckling and curving in the middle. Kind of cool to now see the image flat. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks