What's new

Thinking about buying a motorcycle... (1 Viewer)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I recently decided that I would like to get a motorcycle to get around town during the summer, so I can save on gas, and have something fun to ride around on. Im not a newbie, Ive got plenty of experience riding. I grew up on a farm, and rode a dirt bike everyday.

Im 26 now, live in the city, so now its time for a street bike. I dont want to do anything japanese, mainly because Im not looking for that affiliation. Im not a racerboy.

-edit- What I mean is, this isnt for streetlight racing, its for spirited short rides on the backroads. I have nothing against Japanese bikes, Its just not what Im looking for.

What I want is a Ducati. ( A little different than a dirt bike, but I have the patience and self control to work my way into it, skill-wise.) This isnt for showing off or racing, its just for me to have fun, and do mostly moderate cruising. Im trying to stay in the $2500-$3000 range, so its going to be something about 10 years old, which is fine.

Is there anyone out there with experience in these situations who can offer insights into what I might be looking for? Something like a 7xx or 9xx supersport, maybe?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
:confused:

that's really all I can say, you want something for 3k but won't buy an old jap bike because of some sort of stereotype, yet want a duc?

I really don't know what to tell you man.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Then why post at all?

I didnt mean to imply anything negative about Japanese Motorcycles, its just that I see enough of them around here, and I like they way Ducatis look. Ive done some looking and see plenty of of 1998+ models going for $4-5k... Im sure I can find what Im looking for if im patient. I have a buddy who got a 1995 with 9k miles for around $2k.

I want a Ducati, do I need to justify it?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

makes no sense. jap bike would be cheaper, more reliable, and easier to get parts for after you drop it.

E

Eric Kahn

I just bought a Honda pacific coast for 2000 dollars (bike number 3) it definitely looks different than the norm and has storage space in the rear

ducati's are wonderful sport bikes but they are expensive and difficult to maintain

Bruce N

Second Unit
Yep, buying a Ducati is fine. If you want one, buy one. However, you will not save money. Don't try to convince yourself that you will.

Bruce (Motorcycle Mechanic)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Lets just assume that the Eurobike vs Japbike thing has been well covered... can we skip to the part where people give me information on Ducatis?

BTW, thanks Linda.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
you've already made your mind up, what info are we to give you exactly?

How about we skip to the part where you go research the models yourself.

never had a sportbike get over 30mpg

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

The Japanese can't build a cruiser now?

Anyway, I've not personally owned a Ducati, but I have gone riding with people who do own them. Ducati, Much like any specialty vehicle, is not a mass-produced product in the quality-control sense. Nobody drives a Maserati as a grocery getter either. People buy them because they are sexy, because they are expensive, and because not everybody has one. You don't buy them to save money.

Expect the following mechanicals SNAFUs:

*Valve adjustment. Even if they work correctly, expect to take the bike in for valve adjustments every 4500.
*Part cost. Buying parts for a 10-year old Honda is expensive ($800 for a Cm400 fender!?!?). Buying parts for a 10 year old Ducati could easily costs as much as the bike did used for rarer pieces.
*I like the Monster series, but if you're really going to buy a Supersport series expect to hurt your back if you weigh more than 150lbs!

They are nice looking, fun bikes, but you wont save any money with one.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Garrett, thank you. very helpful.

I have not made up my mind. Did you not read my first post? I want a Ducati, and am wondering what model Ducati might suit my needs best, and what to be on the look out for. Garrett gets it, but you seem to be having trouble in that area.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

You just don't get it, none of them suit your needs. Eric gets it, Bruce gets it. But hey, ride around town on your torture rack, you'll look cooler than you would on a japanese bike, right?

Go to a duc forum if you want people to tell you what a wonderful commuter an older supersport will be, I don't think anyone else will.

In the meantime look at something like a honda hawk GT or a suzuki SV650 if you want something that actually suits your needs.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jeez, everybody, please calm down. Kindly educate Jeremy about the pluses and minuses of his marque of choice, Ducati. (I've ridden them, Jeremy -- fine bikes, but maintenance-intensive not to mention all-out sportbikes. Also, you'd be very lucky to find a used Duck in your price range.)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Thanks Jack. Ive ridden them too. Im well aware of all the pluses and minuses, im just looking for advice on certain models, thats all. Ive done some looking, and I know what i want can be had. (Linda's links prove this) I know it will be tough to find something in my range, but thats why I was asking for advice.

Philip, in your first post, you clearly stated that you have nothing to add this thread...

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I didnt ask for reasonable suggestions on other bikes. I was looking for information on Ducatis. Im not sure why youre so pissed about the whole thing.

Somewhere along the line, people took the implication that I didnt want to go fast... that I was looking for a practical commuter. Not at all.

I want a fast bike to take on drives outside of town. I dont want to do any streetlight racing, or downtown cruising. I WANT a project bike. I WANT to maintain it. I want this as a hobby.

Sorry if that offends so many of you.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
Hey Philip, your're more than welcome to recommend a bike for me. :) But after looking at those prices I realize I probably can't afford anything more than a Big Wheel. :)

My one and only bike was a 1971 Yamaha R5B; something about that size, performance, but 4 stroke & disc brakes would be nice. And under a grand.

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
Jeremy,

You should check out Cycle Forums (look under the sport bikes section, there's a euro bike sub-section there).That site has TONS of good info and helped a lot when I purchsed my bike earlier this year (I got a Honda though).

As mentioned above, you'll find that maintenance on the Ducs can get pretty expensive. The desmos need a valve adjustment every 6k miles which costs about a grand, at least from what I've read. That aside, have fun and go for it. Take a look at an older Monster, those will probably fall in your price range and are a blast to ride.

Bob

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy

Maybe people are confused because in your orignial post you said:

>>>I recently decided that I would like to get a motorcycle to get around town during the summer and save gas...>Somewhere along the line, people took the implication that I did not want to go fast, that I was looking for a practical commuter...I want a fast bike to take on drives out of town...not downtown crusing

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to try to talk you out of a Ducati. I've talked with enough Harley owners (and wanna-be Harley owners) to know that attachment to a cycle brand is well outside the realm of reason and can come before anything else in life (I've seen the "Harley mentality" break-up marriages & families).

If you're going to buy a Duc, I'd buy a Monster. No bodywork to damage. Cheaper, Cheaper to insure, and they are all "new". The only thing worse than servicing a new Duc is servicing a 20 year old Duc! (or Motto-Guzzi, Harley, BMW, whatever). Plus the monster looks cool, and even the 600 will still outrun every car on the road (every car that sells for under $65k anyway).

One more thing. Don't expect your Ducati to impress women. In general Women are impressed with motorcycles but couldn't tell the difference between a chopper, a Harley, a Ducati, or a Goldwing. And the few who do know what bike you have are already with someone else. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks