What's new

Think we'll get more Starsky And Hutch? (1 Viewer)

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I've had so much fun watching this childhood favorite again after so many years! With S.W.A.T season 2 seemingly not coming, and Charlie's Angels season 2 almost not making it, I'm wondering what the chances are of seeing more Starsky And Hutch? I know it hasn't been out long but any ideas on how well it's selling or if Columbia is happy with sales so far? I hate to think if they do release more that it might not be for another full year or so! But I'd be happy just knowing it's coming too.

Deb Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I really want this, too. I'm getting Charlie's Angels as they come out, but Starsky and Hutch is a much bigger favorite for me. I haven't gotten SWAT yet, since it wasn't a show I raced home to see, but I'm seriously considering it for Robert Urich. I'm hoping for Vegas, too, which is the series he was best remembered for before Spenser.

I suspect the economy and the sheer volume of releases lately (what a thing to complain about!) are forcing people to make decisions about what they buy - and to buy in chunks rather than all at once. S&H was a no-brainer for me, but then again I wanted to paint my old Volkswagon red and put a white stripe on it. Some of the other vintage series (like Baretta, for example) just aren't as important for me to buy.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Please, more S&H! I hope the movies lackluster performance won't hurt S2's chances, but it might. Cursed movie cross-promoting grumble grumble...

Did S2 have the Tom Scott title music? That is still some funky, funky TV show music.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I'd say it all depends on how well S1 sells. If it sells phenomenonly well, I'm sure we can be assured more. If it only sells okay, or abysmally, they'll assume the purchases were just movie tie-ins and won't bother with the rest.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Thanks Greg (and Gord)! Awesome news, I was afraid the movie might hurt the chances of S2, but apparently not.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I was a bit surprised that they're doing the second season so soon after the first. The interest in the first season must have been really, really good.

Gord

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Or they simply got better at planning things out in regard to how to release these tie-ins.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I am disappointed in Columbia Tri-Star, S&H was a flop at the box office yet they are already releasing the second season to tie in with the release on dvd, yet SWAT was a hit at the box office and they didn't release the second season of SWAT when they movie came out on dvd.

This kind of reminds me of the fact that SWAT was cancelled by ABC because Spelling had to choose between S&H and SWAT and he chose S&H. Once again SWAT is the big loser to S&H.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I love both shows, and I do want SWAT season 2, but I imagine that the first season of Starsky and Hutch must have sold a lot more or we'd have seen SWAT by now. I'm not sure if the S&H movie is considered a flop yet either. I checked IMDB and it's total gross was somewhere around $80 million a few weeks ago with it's budget at $60 million. Since it's still playing, it's gross will end up higher than that and I'm sure with DVD sales that it will turn a profit. I haven't even seen the movie since it really didn't seem interesting to me, but I'm really psyched to get more of the series on DVD!

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
I wasn't a fan of the movie but a $85 million dollar take at the US box office plus nearly £12 million pounds at the UK box office is hardly a frikin flop. Its also performing well in europe. Check your facts Peggy. Starsky and Hutch is one of the most popular TV shows ever made hence why its selling well on DVD all over the world. It would sell with or without the movie tie-in. More respect must be shown Peg. I agree SWAT: Season 2 should be released though. :D

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't disrespecting Starsky and Hutch, I use to watch the show, however if it was one of the greatest show why did it take them making a movie to get it released on dvd?
Before you say anything, I realized that SWAT would have never been realized on dvd if it hadn't been for the movie.
All I am saying is I am disappointed that they rushed the 2nd season of S&H out when there are so many others waiting for 2nd seasons of things that have been out a while. However I am happy for those folks who were wanting a second season of S&H, nice to know that some people get their wish.

Oh and btw- I only said the movie was a flop because that is all I have read about it and have been told about it, I wasn't quoting sales figures. Nice to know there are such nice people on this board ready to jump on you for your opinion.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Don't count SWAT out yet. C/TS is pretty wacky with their release schedules. S&H:S2 came out of the blue. So might SWAT.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Columbia TriStar doesn't care what the movie does, only that the season set sells well. I would say it's obvious that Starsky & Hutch season 1 did better than SWAT season 1 since we're seeing Season 2 of S&H before we're seeing SWAT S2.

Next time I call Columbia I'll ask about season 2, but I don't think it's on their schedule (at least nothing I know of).

Gord

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I will have to agree that S&H must have sold well since I know you know a lot more about this than I do.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think I'll recant my above statement about SWAT. I hadn't read the Starsky and Hutch season 2 press release, which directly states that that set is being released to capitalize on the release of the movie DVD. So, it wasn't out of the blue, and I am not too hopeful about a SWAT season 2 release.

Of course, if the first S&H set had been a failure, they wouldn't be pouring money down the drain a second time. I'm guessing SWAT just didn't do as well.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator
I seriously doubt we will ever see the second season of S.W.A.T., a group of us, once a month sends an e-mail to CTS requesting it and we always get back the same form e-mail, but we keep trying.:)

There was suppose to be tv show in the fall of 2004 based on the S.W.A.T. movie and we had our hopes pinned on the fact that they would release the second season in relation to the new tv show, however the new show didn't make it into production so that pretty much ruled that out.

Without something to tie it into, I don't see them ever releasing the second season of S.W.A.T. especially since I am sure it didn't sell as well as the first season of Starsky and Hutch.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It took in around $88M and cost around $85M to make and market. It was never number one at the box office.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks