What's new

Think there will be enough X-Boxes to go around? (1 Viewer)

Paul Cole

Agent
That's bout it...between launch and Christmas will they be shipping enough of these things or should I worry?

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that you have anything to worry about. I know at one of our local EB's here in Ontario they have not sold out all of there pre-orders yet.
I read an article today that stated the Xbox factory cranked out 27,000 units on Friday! More than the PS2 was puting out in a week.
They're confident they'll meet demand.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
If I remember correctly, the official word from Miscrosoft is 1.2 million Xbox's by the end of the year. Sony planned for 1mil PS2's at launch but were only able to deliver 500,000 on the first day.
If anyone knows any other numbers please post em. As for me, I got off work Nov 15 to ensure that I get one. Still not sure if I have to wait in line overnight like me and a buddy did with the PS2. And you know how hard it was to find one of those after launch.
edit- IGN has a nice little article on the best places to get your Xbox from on luanch. Link Removed
It seems Best Buy is their champion. At my local BB, they had 144 PS2's at launch. The 24-hour Wal-mart had ~25, the Target had 25-35, and the Toys R Us had 3.
[Edited last by Scott L on November 12, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also remember that when PS2 came out, it was the only new system in town - what else was anyone going to buy for the holidays? But now you're getting the XBox and GCN within a week of each other, plus some people who bought PS2 aren't going to be in the market for one of the new game systems. Couple that with the slowdown of the U.S. economy, and you can bet that if you look around, you'll be able to find a GCN or XBox at a local store, and without the gouge that EB tried to run last year on PS2s (don't get me started).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Well MS supposedly has 300k units at launch and Nintendo has 700k at launch. MS has 1.2 million by the end of the year (or so they say, but I doubt it will be that high) and Nintendo has 1.1 million. I think it will be easier to get GCN because from the start, there are more available. There will be around equal numbers by the end of the year, but it will probably still be easier to get GCNs.
I don't think there will be enough to go around of either console until next year.

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I just got back from the store I preordred my XBox from. They have 130 units in stock, with enough to cover preorders by about 7 (and they don't know if that 7 is for people that bought more than 1).
Number of GameCubes preordered: 27.
That's right. 27. Pathetic. 123 XBox preorders vs. 27 GameCubes.
And they won't have enough GameCubes for their preorders.
Whoever tells you that Nintendo is making enough is definitely dead wrong.
Mike
------------------
Windows XP Resource
Listen to my radio station - Starman's Neverland
Link Removed

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I think that both systems intially will be hard to get,so if you have a bag of tricks, I suggest that you use them..
Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The GameCube has been spread around to a lot of stores, but the bigger ones get more. The X-Box was focused at a lot of big stores, but isn't going to be in many (if any) smaller ones. Expect to find both at places like Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, but not many other places will have enough for people to just walk in and buy them.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
There were only 16(!) at my local WalMart. Luckily I got one :) so I don't have any input on other stores...
-Dave
------------------
DVD List
"The page you are looking for is here no more. Quoth the Raven, 'Nevermore.'"

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
There are 400k XBs at launch. Bill Gates confirmed this on Fox News. GCN is starting with 700k.
I would say there are enough total consoles to go around if everyone gets just one of either (not one of each). Otherwise, your best bet for getting one is GCN.
Nintendo is producing enough GCNs. They might not be making them in Mexico like MS is, but they are making them steadily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks