What's new

Things you read even though you KNOW they’ll just upset you (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else have these? I thought of this because I was reading the latest issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction on the train to work this morning, and there on page 94 was Lucius Shepard's latest Film column. Now, I strongly suspect that Shepard has never seen a science-fiction film he actually liked, but he always seems to come off as arrogant, as if us idiots who liked Solaris and A.I. should be thanking him for telling us not only why they're bad movies, but why we’re idiots for liking them. And yet I read the entire thing, and know I will the next time, too.

Then there's almost all of www.moviepoopshoot.com. I have no idea why I keep going over there – the news articles are available at less snarky outlets, and there's just no reason to read Jeffrey Wells. He's the epitome of a guy with a column for no good reason. At least with Shepard, I've got the excuse that I bought the magazine and intend to read the whole thing, but Wells...

Still, it's not entirely hopeless. I've reached the point where I will not read Dan Shaugnessey's column in the Boston Globe sports section, no matter what baseball site links to it or how prominently it's placed above the fold, referring to an exciting game or player. I consider that progress.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, I WATCH the O'reilly factor fairly often... simply because I believe that you don't really know where you stand if you never listen to the other side.

--
Holadem

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Threads where I know someone is going to comment on something they shouldn't be commenting on (because it's against the rules) and then not being able to respond for the same reason. :angry:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And I *have* to go places where I know my blood pressure will push its limits, such as in "Movies" threads about "Great Movies You Hate." I always know what to expect in them.

(I also wish I could converse intelligently in those Enterprise-related threads without having actually to watch the episodes.)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Ain't-It-Cool-News Talkbacks. I hate them! I think your IQ is automatically lowered by 20 points if you read them, and 60 points if you post in them. Still, every now and then, my better judgement turns to mush and I have to see what they're saying. As usual, people are idiots. People are just no-damned good idiots! Even articles about small, obscure, non-mainstream movies are taken over by 9 year old jerks who think they're clever as hell. Then I swear to never read them again. Until I, sigh, am drawn there again the next time.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not really. Knowles's main fault is that he's overenthusiastic. The folks in the talkbacks just seem to enjoy being nasty.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Just reading this thread is making me seeeethe, but I can't help it, I must read on...
I dunno we're all masochists at heart, like watching a documentary on fungi, you know you should be flicking channels but something is holding back, the exquisite boredom of the program is mesmerising, you're transfixed, eyes are glazing over, your hand is jerking towards the remote, but you keep jerking back, your mind is going, you can feel it, but you keep watching....:D

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
The Family Circus

(This might be an appropriate place to reference dialogue from Go, but I won't be that predictable. Let's just say that dialogue is funny because it's true.)

Brad

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
CNN.com and anything related to current world events

Stories about bad things happening to children (they're hard when you're a parent yourself)

Jason,

'Shank' Shaughnessy drives me nuts but he's not as bad as Ron Borges, IMO. Borges has an obvious agenda against Bill Belichick and it influences his writing. It gets pretty old in a hurry.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I used to read my ex girlfriends online journal on a daily basis but after a while it became clear that she was beyond hope so I deleted the link and haven't been back since. First she doesn't know why she's depressed then she talks about how she's sleeping with a grown ass man who's unemployed and has to get permission from his mom if he wants to stay out after dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks