What's new

Things You Just Don't Understand, Part 2? (1 Viewer)

E

Eric Kahn

One last one: how come traffic lights always seem to turn red just as I'm approaching them? I know about sensors and traffic patterns and such, but it doesn't seem to matter where or when, if it's green when I'm approaching it, it's red (or at least yellow enough that I have to stop) before I can get through it. I think it's a conspiracy by the brake pad manufacturers. I swear, I hit lights green less than 20% of the time.
some cities make it impossible to go from one light to the next without it turning red, they do it with timing on the mistaken thought that they are improving safty by breaking up the flow of traffic

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Why do so many people (or anyone, for that matter) like Bruce Springsteen? Can't they tell that he can't sing?

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
Why is it that every time I rewind or fast forward a VHS tape looking for something -- regardless of the length, whether it has been rewound or not, whatever -- that when I stop it and press play, I always hit a commercial? It happens every time.

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
If the tv stations are so concerned with identification that they must run those damned bugs, why don't they run the bugs during commercials? Hmmmm?

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Steve, yours runs hand in hand with Stacy's, sort of. If you're looking for a channel the chances are that you're doing it while a commerical is showing, which doesn't help you at all!

Glenn

Will K

Screenwriter
There's a TV show called "Cooking Live," but still can't figure out...Cooking Live what?

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I go to McDonald's and they ask "Is that for here or to go?" Every time I say, "It's for here." Every time, they stick it in a bag.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
How about the saying "You can't have your cake and eat it too."
Well, what the hell good is a cake if I can't eat it???

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Why are there floatation devices on planes instead of parachutes?
I think Billy Connolly summed it up best in an old stand-up routine about air travel:

"This is your personal flotation device. In the event of an emergency please place it over your head and pull the cord. This device will do you no good whatsoever. But after we slam into the mountain, archaeologists will find our remains thousands of years later, and think there was a river here!"

One of the funniest comedy routines ever.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Why do people who have no reason to be out in 10 inches of snow insist on joy riding in 10 inches of snow? I HAD to be at work today (driving 30 minutes in 10 inches of snow in an area that is not use to this amount of snow) and coming home this afternoon you would not believe the amount of cars on the nearly impassable roads just joy riding! I am fairly sure that 80% of them did not HAVE to be out in it. But there they were...slip sliding away.

Ike

Screenwriter
Wow, I didn't realize it, but the thing about balloonists was almost word for word a George Carlin thing. I just watched his comedy special on HBO Comedy, and was surprised to hear what I'd typed before. Not bad spouting George Carlin lines. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Why until the 20th century - i.e. for most of human history, did battles consist of outright slaughter - e.g. the "gentlemanly" battles of the war of indpendence in which each side first took turns at blowing the shit out of those in front! If I was there I would have at least lied down to fire, and dodged the incoming shots! Sheer stupidity on the part of generals and soldiers alike!
From what I've read and speculated, the reasons soldiers stayed in formation or "held" the line was for disciplinary and tactical reasons.
The disciplinary reason comes as a show of not being fearful and keeping the soldiers from panicking.
The tactical reasons had to do with the muskets or rifles themselves. They are difficult to shoot and require a high reload time. That's why soldiers are always bunched up like that. When you group together soldiers in a bunch, the likeliehood of hitting your enemy was significantly enhanced. One comment I heard was likening a volley of musket shots to one huge sheet of metal coming at you at high speeds. Ducking and hiding wouldn't help much at all.
Things I don't get:
1. Why people complain about other people liking Britney Spears, girl acts, etc. Hello, what's wrong with superficial appeal here? :D
2. PETA
3. Why movies never take the extra step towards an R rating (too many family-friendly PG-13 movies out lately).
4. Why college football never had a tournament in the first place.
5. Why Asians are never good at sports (Ichiro's a robot). :b

RobR

Second Unit
Why people say "He got her pregnant," but not "She got herself pregnant?" It takes two to tango.

Dave Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Why don't people use turn signals?
Because by identifying your desire to move into another lane of traffic, you give the vehicles in said lane the opportunity to prevent you from doing so. Everyone has to be first, you know.
:frowning:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't realize it, but the thing about balloonists was almost word for word a George Carlin thing. I just watched his comedy special on HBO Comedy, and was surprised to hear what I'd typed before. Not bad spouting George Carlin lines.
Ike,

Was that the "Diseased Mind" special? I heard that on CD, and must say that while it was often funny, George was a little off in his opinions about airport security and terrorism! (Which obviously were recorded prior to 9/11.)

Ike

Screenwriter
It could have been on the CD, but I saw the Complaints and Grievances special, but I believe I've heard the thing your talking about. (There's too much security at the airport, and that riding on the plane should be a bit of a fun life gamble?)

E

Eric Kahn

The tactical reasons had to do with the muskets or rifles themselves. They are difficult to shoot and require a high reload time. That's why soldiers are always bunched up like that. When you group together soldiers in a bunch, the likeliehood of hitting your enemy was significantly enhanced. One comment I heard was likening a volley of musket shots to one huge sheet of metal coming at you at high speeds. Ducking and hiding wouldn't help much at all.
Untill the invention of the minnie ball (hollow based bullet) muskets were hard to load with the proper diameter bullet so all the armies adopted the practive of using a smaller ball than the bore, usually a 69 caliber ball in a 75 caliber bore, in battle, the balls were not patched, just dumped down the bore, so when you fired the musket, it kinf of bounced up the bore and never left in a straight line from the musket, if you were to put 2 soldiers about 25 yards apart and have them shoot at each other in this manner, it would be sheerest luck for them to hit each other, but is you put someone on either side of them, they would be hit in short order, thus the long lines of soldiers standing shoulder to shoulder, with the officers riding behind them on horses, did not want to lose the officers in battle now, did we

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks