What's new

Things You Just Don't Understand, Part 2? (1 Viewer)

E

Eric Kahn

Why, when times are tough, do companies lay off the underpaid hardworking peons instead of the morons that were responsible for the company's problems to begin with?
becuase the morons are the ones doing the laying off, and since they are morons, the truth would never be considered

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
People who press the elevator button more than once, as if that will bring the car down or up to them faster. Just press the button once; the elevator will arrive.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Also--

* motorists who fail to yield right-of-way to motorcyclists (my right leg is forever hurt as a result of a moronic 16-year-old girl's failure to do this back in 1972);

* people who blindly diss the space program while not knowing a blessed thing about it;

* the philistines who would foist pan-and-scan transfers upon all of us;

* selfisnhess as practiced in Los Angeles.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I don't understand where they find the people who work at McDonald's and Wendy's. Seriously, do they deliberately hire the stupidist people.

I go to Wendy's and as for a Junior Burger with Cheese and they ask, "Do you mean a Junior Deluxe with Cheese." Are there any others?

I go to McDonald's and they ask "Is that for here or to go?" Every time I say, "It's for here." Every time, they stick it in a bag.

----

I don't understand why garbagemen are forced to retire at 65, but you can practice medicine or be the leader of a nation when you're 80 (and beyond).

E

Eric Kahn

I have a question myself: why are morning radio hosts so goddamn obnoxious and stupid?
this is the main reason I have a CD changer in my car, I hate morning shows and all the stations have a couple of stupid morons (except the public radio station, good thing I also like classical music) that pollute the airwaves in the morning

Bob and Tom being the worst offenders on the face of the planet

what I do not understand is why they have to use canned laugh tracks? do they assume that their audiance is to stupid to laugh without a cue??

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Why do companies (still) think that making people wear uncomfortable clothes makes them better workers
This is my favorite. I work at a consulting firm, and it pisses me off so bad. I think that it is the "I look important, therefore I am important" mentality of old men who dont understand how much more work tech people could get done in jeans and a t-shirt than a tie thats choking us. And the argument that we need to look good for our clients pisses me off too. A simple button up shirt and casual dress pants would do fine. It would be like making construction workers wear a suit in case a rich taxpayer drives by and sees them.
Also, for my thing I dont understand: Why dont we have cordless extension cords, or decaffinated coffe tables ;)

E

Eric Kahn

I have always called a tie "The Corperate Noose", they choke you with it to cut off the supply of blood to the brain so you do not have any ideas about leaving;)
Also, I think if you check history, the tie was a labor and time saving device during the dark ages, it was made out of leather and had a big grommet at the end, you walked up on the platform after putting it on, the executioner hooked the grommet over a hook and pulled the lever, no time wasted fitting the noose and it was reusable, so of course a big company would make you wear one:D

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Why are there floatation devices on planes instead of parachutes?
Something about the fact that you're travelling at 600 m.p.h. at 30,000 feet. Parachutes would be suicide. And since planes free-falling into the ocean tend to disintergrate on contact, floatation devices are useless as well.

Bruce

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Something about the fact that you're travelling at 600 m.p.h. at 30,000 feet. Parachutes would be suicide. And since planes free-falling into the ocean tend to disintergrate on contact, floatation devices are useless as well.

the speed is a big part yeah, if you were to jump into a 300 mph plus blast of wind it would likely break your arms and legs at the joints, the altitude would also be a big problem since you have less than a few minutes of consciousness at 30,000 feet, and seconds above 45,000. And hell how many people know how to operate a 'chute? I don't..

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have a question myself: why are morning radio hosts so goddamn obnoxious and stupid?
How pleasant and intelligent do you think you'd sound if you had to leave the house at 3 AM to be at work by 4? :)
Re: Parachutes and "misuse" on airplanes. Forget about terrorists using them (hell, if they really felt the need they could just smuggle them aboard along with the box cutters, C4 explosives and loaded handguns that are still getting past our "beefed-up" security.) Do you seriously think the people who pay no attention to the safety lecture are going to learn how to don and use a parachute in 90 seconds or so? They don't even have enough sense to complain that the in-flight movie is in the wrong aspect ratio for Pete's sake! :)
Regards,
Joe

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Rain--Well, you could've meant the Junior BACON Cheeseburger.:)
I've never understood why people flick cigarette butts out of their car windows instead of putting it in their ash trays. Besides not understanding it, it really ticks me off too! Jesus, there are cigarette butts everywhere! I can't tell you how many times I have been tempted to get out of my car and walk up to the person that just flicked a butt out of his car window and say to him "excuse me, but I am pretty sure you have a freakin' ash tray in your car that you can put this in!" Why?! WHY!? WHY!?

Ike

Screenwriter
Mine:

Millionares who think we care that they are trying to ballon around the world for the 10th time. Guess what? We saw the movie Around the World in 80 Days. This ain't 1600, and no one's impressed by the fact that you can, gasp, fly. Don't put this dummy on the news, especially until he does it!

John Travolta's self hate

Why Wynonna Ryder stealing something is a breaking news story?

How people who are so hated in the media are still in it. Carrot Top and Geraldo are the butt of everyone's jokes. So why do the companies think they will make me want to use 1-800-Collect or watch Fox News?

Jay Leno

Anaylists for news stations and the damn ticker! Get it off. No one can watch a ticker, a changing title with name's and headlines, and the show! It's not humanly possible. You are putting more things on screen than we have eyes. If it was possible to train one eye to read the text, the other to watch the show, you'd still have the name tag changing! It's not possible. So I sit there, and I constantly get the tail end of stories. When you see tail end of "...anthrax warning...." you go, well, I wonder what the full story was!

Commercials

And why there's no spell checker any more.

Whew, thanks.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Why dont we have cordless extension cords, or decaffinated coffe tables
I'm still waiting for that cordless extension cord, so I have something to plug my corded flashlight in to! :D
How about cordless cable TV? Oh yeah, that's called satellite. :)
How about decaffeinated espresso? Or sugar free Sugar Daddys?
Why do people order a double cheeseburger, large fries, and a DIET coke?
Or why you can get a remote keyless entry system for your car, but not your house? That would be so handy when carrying in 50 lbs. of groceries. Well, I suppose a garage door opener would qualify but my house doesn't have a garage.
(Ok, now I'm dating myself), why did turntables in the 60s and early 70s have a 16 RPM speed when there were no 16 RPM records?
KJP

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
I have good news for you Kevin! :) Now you CAN get remote keyless entry to your home. Here's how!
As for what I don't understand...I don't understand why some studios insist on making their DVD's almost impossible to get out of the cases! I'm afraid to watch about 90% of my DVD's for fear of breaking them.:frowning:
Dan Hine

RicP

Screenwriter
push it again! said:
Actually there were. They were the LP equivalent of Audio books. Virtually all of them were spoken word and because the speed was so slow, they could fit more content on the LP.
I've only seen 3 or 4 of them, but my Grandfather had one that was a reading of Shakespeare, it was pretty interesting. :)

Kevin P

Screenwriter
As for what I don't understand...I don't understand why some studios insist on making their DVD's almost impossible to get out of the cases! I'm afraid to watch about 90% of my DVD's for fear of breaking them.
I think the studios felt it was TOO easy to remove the discs, so now they have stickers on all three sides of the case. Someday someone's going to get the "bright" idea of adding a sticker to the fourth (hinged) side! :)
One last one: how come traffic lights always seem to turn red just as I'm approaching them? I know about sensors and traffic patterns and such, but it doesn't seem to matter where or when, if it's green when I'm approaching it, it's red (or at least yellow enough that I have to stop) before I can get through it. I think it's a conspiracy by the brake pad manufacturers. I swear, I hit lights green less than 20% of the time.
KJP

Brian Mansure

Second Unit
I'm kinda stealing this from the Howard Stern show but...
Why are men responsible for putting the seat back down!?!
Women are able to put the seat back down. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks