Things I've noticed about HTF since returning.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jack Briggs, Jul 20, 2010.

1. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Hi Jack!

For some reason the movie Airplane comes to mind every time i see that? Hmm...

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Thankfully, Mike you're always kind ;)

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Dave, I think your observation hits the point precisely. May I suggest a slight variation of the metaphor?

"Tortured" metaphor or not, this is the thought I took away from all that spaghetti.

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Has anyone mentioned silica yet? You can't have HTF nostalgia without silica....

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Michael, that'll work too :)

My specific experience is peole don't want to "talk" , they want to make quips. And perhaps be affirmed in followups from "friends" but they don't want to "discuss".

That's simplistic, but typing on an iPhone doesn't lend itself to much more. And that might be part of the puzzle too :)

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

But in a case of irony, you really can't have HTF nostalgia with silica because it sucks it all up.

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, sir. I work at California largest newspaper for the legal profession. I am an ... editor!

9. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    Yes, I do admit I’ve noticed a change of late; I can’t quite place when. In fact, Parker recently posted in a thread with a dirty word (“rip”) that previously would have had those guys in Brazil dropping through the ceiling. But that doesn’t change history. Many people went to that other place (they don’t mention us, I’m not mentioning them). For others, the whip left a lasting impression and they just don’t bother.
    I didn’t mention the high-def war as a current complaint - I agree it’s long dead - but as an example of where it really went south. Some people replied that those threads were shut down when people got out of hand. But that’s not accurate, as even objectively comparing the two formats was prohibited. I only point this out in hopes that we don’t make the same mistake if we ever get the good fortune of another technology showdown. (And BTW, I’m all for zero tolerance of abusive entries.) Let me open the aperture a bit - in general I think people like to debate, and maintaining the site on the edge of chaos will drive more participation that keeping it tame. Here’s a thought, maybe we need topic moderators (I’m thinking shills, but being polite). People to start threads and keep them going on trendy technology and film topics. Find those old trouble makers, get a few that have matured just a bit, and put them to good use. P.S. One last point, I meant what I said, but I was also just having fun on a Friday. Remeber when Friday's would bring an avalanche of posts as everyone was avoiding real work?

10. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    I disagree on some of your memories about the format war. I think we for a time encouraged people to objectively compare the two formats, the problem was an objective thread like that wouldn't stay objective for longer than 2 minutes before a horde of unobjective people from both sides would descend on it, turning it into just another format war thread. I also want to thank Parker for a lot of his comments in this tread and not to take away from Jack at all, but I noticed Tim Glover has resurfaced recently too. As to the traffic slowdown in some areas, HTF owners are open to suggestions. As some have noticed, things have loosened up a bit with moderation, you still have to have a first name, not do personal attacks and not talk politics, religion or bootlegging which are all reasonable and are hopefully lead to a positive forum experience for everyone. Its created the culture where studios feel comfortable posting again. We have been working hard to get more studio involvement. Fox is frequently on the boards posting and always listening. We are working with Paramount on posting more, but they read the forum daily and what you say is sent up the line on daily and weekly reports. Shout Factory currently has their toe in the water as well.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Why limit yourself to Friday? Let's have some fun on a Monday. [/url] I didn’t mention the high-def war as a current complaint - I agree it’s long dead - but as an example of where it really went south. Some people replied that those threads were shut down when people got out of hand. But that’s not accurate, as even objectively comparing the two formats was prohibited. I only point this out in hopes that we don’t make the same mistake if we ever get the good fortune of another technology showdown. (And BTW, I’m all for zero tolerance of abusive entries.) [/quote] Since, as you say, the format war is dead, let's use it as an example. Now, I largely sat that one out until the very end, but I remember it well, and I remember how it went. The pattern was typical, and we still see it on other issues today (though, thankfully, not on the same scale). Let's imagine that you, Al, and another member -- we'll call him "Bob", so that we have "A" and "B" -- want to have a serious discussion "objectively comparing" Blu-ray and HD DVD. Off you go, everyone's polite, and it's a wonderful thread. But you're not alone for long. Very quickly you're joined by a couple dozen other participants. There are C through N, who are Blu-ray partisans ("Blu Bois", as their opponents like to call them). And then there are O through Z, who are HD DVD partisans ("red ants", as the Blu Bois say). These folks are not interested in objective comparisons. At best, they're like DaveF's spaghetti-throwers and quipsters; at worst, they're angry, vicious attack dogs who make talk radio sound like Miss Manners. That nice little thread you and Bob started quickly swells to multiple pages, and most of the posts are from C through Z. It's almost entirely recrimination and name-calling. Reported posts are pouring in to the owners as each side complains about the other side's conduct -- and as non-participating members complain about the whole darn flame-war -- and the owners say to the moderators, "Didn't we hire you guys to prevent this sort of thing?" The above not only could happen, but it did happen. (Adam posted while I was finishing this post, and he remembers it too.) So now, imagine you're the moderator. What would you do?

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Michael's example was better than mine. That's exactly how I remember it. We were one of the few sites that were trying to encourage objectivity by aggressively moderating and worst case banning the worst "partisans" who engaged in continual personal attacks on both sides in an attempt to try to keep things objective. Other sites would ban you for expressing your desire or even objective info about the "wrong" format from the perspective of the site. I was a moderator at the time and we discussed the possibility of a "war talk" area, but were afraid that any disputes in that area between members would just follow them to other areas, and it would be a bad precedent to set. At the end of the day quality over quantity was the winner. While I'm sure it cost us members and traffic I think it was the right call (although I might not of at the time....I can't remember what my position was).

13. Jack Briggs

It was at the very beginning of the format war that, for a number of other reasons, I had to cease posting here. And what is being described sounds like so many other thread attempts gone bad from the days of yore. I am sort of glad I missed out on the Blu-ray-vs.-HD-DVD mess.

14. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Ban with extreme prejudice. Bwaha-ha-ha. [snarls and twirls moustache].

Mostly joking. Mostly.

- Walter.

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    ArsTechnica has a "BattleFront" forum specifically for arguing these technical 'religious' wars. It's separate from the main forums, which are moderated free of such business. Perhaps that would be appropriate here.

I've been going back and forth in am Android phone thread about iPhone vs Sndroid phones. The back and forth is fun and it's all good natured. But ihave worried that it might keep people away from having more productive discussions about buying and using their android phones. A clear 'battlefront' would allow for these sorts of arguments while keeping main threads free for more productive uses.

16. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Welcome back Jack. I too have significantly cut back on my posting activities over the last few years mostly because I hardly go to the movies anymore.

But seriously, two pages welcoming Jack back and not one mention of the word "Kubrick"!? Something's just not right...

Rob

17. Jack Briggs

Not only that, Rob, but I have another director's film featured in my avatar. Go figure.

18. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons

But isn't that where your office is?

Cees

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Hey Jack! Glad to see you around these parts once again. Was a bit busy last week with a high school reunion, but back in the saddle now.

20. Jack Briggs

Cees, great ro see you. Although you were joking, I'd say that my office is about ten miles south and a bit to the east of Mulholland Drive. Back in my motorcycling days, I loved riding on Mulholland Drive but even more on Mulholland Highway, which reaches past the Santa Monica mountains and is truly a road that inspires roadracing fantasies among those who ride on two wheels.

Mulholland Drive, however, is iconic -- at times you can see deep into the Los Angeles Basin as well as into the San Fernando Valley. A beautiful, beautiful road -- it's something that most people conjure in their minds without realizing it when they think about Los Angeles.

BTW, just how many mods are there now at HTF? Just curious.