What's new

Things I wish I would have done differently in my project (2 Viewers)

Levesque

Supporting Actor
Wow! Nice thread.
My contractor is starting to build my dedicated HT next monday, and it's getting scary to plan everything!
Glad I came by, because I was forgetting the stupid central vacuum piping! (LOL)
Keep them coming. Reeally useful. :D

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
planned for a projector (i built it with RP in mind... now i'm thinking projector)

run cables through PVC pipe... didn't even think of that. now have to figure out how to rewire when the time comes.

use better wire or biwire.

this IS a great thread!

Robert

Grip
I would have moved EVERYTHING out to do the construction!!

It really pays to do that before you start.

Otherwise you are working around stuff.

At this point I am 2 to 4 weeks away from the first screening. I still must get carpet installed.

I've been reading and maybe i should put down subfloor first

I don't know

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I would have done a few of things differently.

although I ran cable for 4 speakers in the rear area I wish I had run at least 2 more.

spent more time on the screen lighting. perhaps a couple of recessed lights on either end of the screen pointing down and on wireless.

my HT is a room convert so I still have the swinging door. I should have installed a pocket door at the entry to save space

I think I should have looked closer at in-wall speakers versus free standing. The subs would have stayed out though.

Rich Sk

Grip
I have just about finished a basement with a family room with a 7.1 system installed.

I am glad I:

1. Framed in a space in a wall and built a simple in-wall entertainment center (27 inches wide, floor to celing) to hide the components. Paid a cabinet shop to build a face frame for it, looks sharp, required minimal finish carpentry skills.

2. Kept the components in the wall cabinet and buried all cables going to the RPTV and speakers in the wall.

3. Brought home my components first and hooked everything up before I put the last piece of sheet rock up behind the TV and buried the wires for good. If I hadn't, I would have been one coax cable too short. I thought that I was going to be able to rely on the HD DirecTV receiver to decode everything for the TV, but it won't pass a marginal signal so I needed another coax from the attic antenna to use the DTV antenna input to watch some local OTA HD channels. I had the whole room taped, mudded, and primed with the exception of one piece along the floor where the cables were. If the components would have been out when all the sanding was going on, none of them would be in working condition now. Sanding makes a huge mess!!!

4. Installed an antenna in the attic.

5. Installed a little sound proofing. I have 24 inch deep floor trusses in the ceiling in my basement. To keep the theater experience from bothering people upstairs, I put bats of 16" deep fiberglass insulation in between the trusses throughout the basement. Doing research on this and other forums, it sounds like there are other more complicated ways to insulate, but considering the budget I worked under, the 16" fiberglass really does a good job keeping the sound from escaping upstairs.

6. Borrowed a variable speed rotozip to cut out the boxes in the sheetrock.

I really wish I hadn't:

1. Framed the whole basement two years before we decided to finish it for good and hang sheet rock. I ended up tearing out about 2/3 of the studs because they had warped so bad.

2. Bought such a large TV. When the TV came home, the door jambs were not installed in the basement. We are building another house now, and I don't know if the damn TV will come out the basement now when we move.

This is a great thread. Good idea. I could to on and on about this topic.

Tom Rosback

Stunt Coordinator
I would have run more cabling for butt kickers and game controllers, etc, into my rear seating riser.

If I ever build a new house, I'm going to run a conduit from the media room up to the attic for antenna wiring, satellite, etc.

darron Z - thanks for the tip on the helper fan.

Sean_avnut

Grip
I would have built a room within a room so to speak. This would reduce sound transmission and help with acoustics.

Demetrius

Agent
I am designing a ht for my sister. This HT is a serious undertaking for me. I did attend the ISF/HAA seminar and am still moving forward although I am going to get as much help as possible. The HT will be on the second floor of a new structure (40'X 28'). I plan on creating an isolated theater double-wall (21'X 24') with a 2' area around the theater. The whole theater will be resting on isolation material between the theater and the blank flooring. There will be seating for eighteen across three levels. I plan on using a front projector housed in a box (isolated from the theater) in the ceiling. My goal is a noise floor of 15dB - 17dB, I may not acheive this goal but I want to maximize the dynamic range. I plan on a 9'6" - 10' wide screen. The air ducts will be a dedicated zone with large diameter duct/registers, with a "S" shape path from the AHU to the theater (about 40' of duct for each vent). I haven't decided on specific equipment but my budget for the electronics and speakers is ~$30K to $40K. The structure (not including the theater) and furnishings are my sisters responsibility. Any thoughts or comments are certainly encouraged and welcomed.

Thanks,

Demetrius

P.S. I certainly don't want to get into this and make a mistake that will comprimise the quality in any way.

P.S.S. I am considering using tactile transducers but am not convinced of the return of investment.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
As I begin my new HT dedicated room, this is one thread I'll certainly refer to.

Being in the remodeling business, I feel I have considered the important things but am aware it's the small things that become a problem later on. At least I have my oldest son to help with wiring ideas as he is a phone tech and his home is wired to the max for anything! He even has ethernet jacks in the wall at his couch for playing his x-box online.....and all this was wired 5 years ago!

One thing I do intend to do is "arch" or "dome" my ceiling and rim it with indirect lighting and do some wall treatments.......

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
How far did you space them apart....I would like to learn from your experience before installing mine.
Jason D, sorry it took me so long to respond... I don't check this thread too often.

Anyway... for recessed lighting, I've been told that you figure each light will project a circle of light with a diameter equal to the height of your ceiling. I have a pretty low ceiling (6'9"). I was thinking I wanted an even coverage of light, so, I spaced them about 4' in two rows going down the sides of my room. I chose this distance also because I have a drop-ceiling with 2X2 tiles.

But, now, I'm wishing I would've just placed them over points of interest in my room. ie: bar, coffee table, entranceway. Luckily I have the drop ceiling, so it's not a big job to change 'em around.

I would say, if you're planning on doing these in a more permanent drywalled ceiling... get them wired up before your drywall goes up (obviously) and take a really close look at the overall effect before you go ahead and seal them up.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
We spent so much time on the contruction of the room that by the time we go to what should have been the most important thing, we slacked off. This is the access to where the equipment is wired up. I had planned to do access panels but that never materialized, making access to my equipment rather difficult. Starting over again I'd work on this aspect first.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
I would have done a few things differently.

1) Designed in some sort of hush box for my projector. It's mounted on the ceiling and while not too loud, I sometimes find the fan noise distracting.

2) Run DVI cable to the projector. When I finally get around to doing this it is going to be real pain.

3) Run an additional interconnect and set of speaker wires through the wall to the back of the room. Someday I'd like to add a third sub and possibly mount bass shakers under the couches.

Peng

Auditioning
LOVE IT...Great ideas. If you put the sub on a stand of sand why put the chairs on a wood riser?

Dont forget to run Cat 5 cable or conduit to run it in the future. You will see...

Jens Raethel

Second Unit
Real Name
Jens
I wish I could get my lazy but off the recliner and build the hushbox ive been planning for a couple of years now!:frowning:
All thats really missing is the front of the hushbox...man Im lazy.. :b

Eddie L

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I was hoping to never reply to this thread, but......

I thought I was being really smart: One flick of the lobby switch it would turn on my ceiling lobby light, lobby poster lightbox, and in the theatre itself: 2 exit lights, rope lighting under riser, and 2 front row seat lights. Last night I turned it all on, walked inside the theatre and shut the door. Inside was perfect. Just enough light to see where you're going in case you need to get up. Then I opened the door, pretending like I needed more refreshment. TOO MUCH LIGHT IN THE LOBBY COMING INTO THE THEATRE! Why didn't I put the lobby ceiling light on a separate switch? I ended up cutting sheetrock and doing it. Not too big a deal. The lightbox lighting is more than enough to see by. Whew, that was a close one!

Robert Keeler

Auditioning
Most of what I'm about to write here has been mentioned, but it'll affirm some of those items to bear not repeating.

Things I do differently

1) Wait to install PJ/Screen

1a) Installed PJ/screen first so no walls for 9 months

1b) reinstalled PJ/Screen after rock went up so no painting for 3 more months

2) Put in LARGE diameter conduit to PJ

I can barely get one coax and one svhs to PJ

3) Pay someone to tape/mud

4)Move ALL junk out of work area

putting up the walls would have been so much easier with all the junk removed.

5) put up the four walls Then put in stage

My stage is now part of the walls as it stretched from wall to wall prior to actually building the walls. For me, it's really no big deal, but if someone got tired of the stage and wanted it out, out comes part of the walls as well.

Good luck in your endeavours,

Robert

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I'm almost done, so......

1) What I should have done:

Run power to projector and outlets at the front stage from the dedicated 20amp line coming into the equipment closet.

What I did:

I have 20 amps running to my equipment closet and 15 amps running the lights, projector & subwoofer.

The Problem:

While dimming the lights, the projector flickers. Fortunately, I seldom adjust the lights while watching a movie and the flicker stops when the dimmer is set to a specific level.

What problems could have occurred? :

Taxing the power in the room and creating load problems.

Ground loop feedback with the sub.

I had planned on using a passive sub so I didn’t run a dedicated line to the front stage. Now I use a powered sub and draw power from the 15 amp circuit. Luckily, the sub doesn’t feedback.

2) What I should have done:

Tested the wire runs within the walls before putting up sheet rock.

What I did:

I ran speaker wire through the walls but didn’t pull it completely through the outlet.

The Problem:

After my drywall was up, I tried to pull the speaker wire through several locations and it bound up after only a couple of feet came through.

The Fix:

I had to cut out a small 3”x3” section on the opposite side of the wall and free up the bind. This worked for the two problem locations but if it had occurred on an outside wall or a section that I couldn’t cut open, I’d be in big trouble. Now I have to patch, mud and sand those outside sections again too.

3) What I should have done:

Placed my equipment closet in a better location.

What I did:

My closet is parallel to the first section of seating.

The Problem:

Now it’s cramped when I open the door.

4) What I should have done:

Set a budget and stuck to it.

What I did:

Spent my $5,500.00 in construction and then another $3,000 in equipment that “I just had to have”.

5) What I should have done:

Paid someone to install the insulation. Apparently, it’s cheaper to pay an insulation company to do it. Although, that’s just what everyone says.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
5-6 years ago I took one of those bedroom closets with the big sliding doors (interior dimensions 9 1/2' W, 2' D, 7' tall. The door is 7' W X 6 1/2' tall), gutted it, removed the doors and built an awesome ET center in it. Lots of custom molding from Home Depot. Made mostly from 3/4" Birch plywood, stained in Maple. Wish I could post pictures but I have no web site. Anyway, I designed the tv section for a 35" 4X3 GE. Wish I had prepared it for a 16X9. Back then they were $4-5000 and I thought I would never get one. Boy, how things change. I also wish I had installed better cables/wires. Will be upgrading them soon. Should have made the holes for the cables larger as well. Will be doing that too. But biggest mistake was installing the front speakers behind the wall and building the ETC around them. Can't get them out without cutting big holes in the walls! Oh well. Could just push them in farther, cavity is two feet deep, and buy speakers that would fit thru the grill opening. But with a little fore-thought and planning, these problems would not exist. Has anyone mentioned fore-thought and planning yet! :laugh: Never thought I would upgrade. What was I thinking?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks