What's new

Thin Man Collection Finally (1 Viewer)

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Other series? Well, we know the Bowery Boys are on their way. I'd love to see the Three Mesquiteers. Jungle Jim (with Johnny Weissmuller). Definitely more Andy Hardy, and the Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland musicals.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Ann Sothern was a wonderful actress, mostly forgotten today. So I would love to see the Maisie series.

Also, the Dr. Kildare/Dr. Gillespie collection would be great to watch.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Has there been any advance reviews for this set yet?

It is kind of odd, I couldn't find any weeekend advertisements from Best Buy, Circuit City, or Target which showed it was coming out this week.

Paul

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Herb Kane is working on an extensive review that hopefully will be up soon.

I'm very happy with the dvd presentations of "After the Thin Man" and "Another Thin Man". Since, "The Thin Man" is the same dvd packaged in a new dvd case, I'll skip that title to watch "The Thin Man Comes Home" and "Song of the Thin Man" next. I'm saving the "Alias Nick and Nora" bonus dvd for last.

Crawdaddy

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I just want to point out that one of the extras in this set is presented in truncated edited form...

The bonus 1941 MGM cartoon, "The Goose Goes South", which runs only 6:14 long in this box set is a heavily edited version from the original 7:44 run time.

Here's an example from one of the missing sequences:

I'm hoping that this was simply an oversight since this short has been circulated as such for years and WB just sourced a wrong print without doing their homework, but I hope that they take more care in future and that this was not done intentionally. In fact, it would be nice to get confirmation that this was simply an oversight, (even though it's not the end of the world as it was simply included as an unrestored bonus), just so that we can feel more secure that this will not become a common practice as we have seen in WB's animation department as of late. I also hope that this cartoon in all its original glory, turns up on a proper collection of MGM cartoons in the near future.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Any other Canadians having difficulty tracking this set down?

I was told it was postponed until the 16th (next Tuesday)... Am I the only one unable to find this in Canadian retail?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
still waiting for Barnes & Noble to get this in stock, and Borders was sold out of it as well. No sign in Best Buy either- and more than a week after its release it's still well within the top ten over at Amazon (#6 the last time i looked). a memo that the clerk got at B&N seemed to indicate that the lack of sets at that store had to do with a delay w/ Warner getting out more stock.
i would not be surprised at this point, if Warner was completely caught off guard with the popularity of this set and didn't manufacture enough to fulfill intial demand.

i hope the apparent success of this release will lead to another non Thin Man set of Powell & Loy material...maybe next year.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Wow! I finally ordered my set about 2 weeks back. I just received a notice from Amazon that they won't be able to ship until at least the end of September. Apparently, this sold a much larger quantity than even the WB experts thought. This is great news for classic movie lovers, since it's only more evidence that the market exists.

Now if only, some of the other studios would get a clue!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Marco, have you found this in the stores yet? I've seen it at Future Shop for $55 (one copy, not in the DVD area, but ontop of the CD shelves)) and HMV for $65. I order it on line for $48.99, it's shipped Aug 23, I'm still waiting for it from Amazon.ca (I think the price went up th $55.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone can confirm this error for me... but when I just popped in my "Song Of The Thin Man" DVD, I saw what appeared to be aqn interlacing error on the main title menu.

I'm talking about the animated menu when the musical notes fly around the screen... they break up into horizontal lines as does the cursor to select a playback/menu option.

Is this just on my projector setup or does anyone else notice this as well?

I can't speak for the film itself, I just watched the Tex Avery short "Slap Happy Lion" and it appeared to be fine (albeit in need of restoration), but the menu screen itself looked funky.

Can I get some verification here, I just want to make sure it's not just me and if it is... why it's happening.

If I could get a screen grab I would, but basically as I've said before, the musical notes which move around the animated menu screen seem to be composed of flickering horizontal lines that just don't look right.

Thanks for any help.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Marco, I own it but don't know where it is. I love the first 5 Thin Man films, but the last one doesn't do it for me, so it's been discarded somewhere (my wife takes dvds I don't like but have picked up in boxsets, etc., or older dvds I've upgraded, and gives them away as gifts to undiscerning relatives).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks