What's new

They Were Expendable coming from Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
THEY WERE EXPENDABLE
BD50
NEW 2016 1080p HD MASTER
1.37:1
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, Francais & Espanol
135 Min
Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Supplies are dwindling. Troops are hopelessly outnumbered. But even in defeat there is victory. The defenders of the Philippines – including PT-boat skippers John Brickley (Robert Montgomery) and Rusty Ryan (John Wayne) – will give the U.S. war effort time to regroup after the devastation of Pearl Harbor.

Director John Ford’s World War II tale knows its battle-scarred topic firsthand. Montgomery was himself a Pacific PT-boat commander and a valorous Bronze Star recipient. Ford filmed the Academy Award-winning documentary The Battle of Midway. And Wayne creates a portrait of patriotic resolve as only he can. They Were Expendable salutes all who expended themselves during some of the war’s bleakest hours.

Last edited:

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
THEY WERE EXPENDABLE
BD50
NEW 2016 1080p HD MASTER
1.78:1
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English Mono
Subtitles: English SDH, Francais & Espanol
135 Min
Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Supplies are dwindling. Troops are hopelessly outnumbered. But even in defeat there is victory. The defenders of the Philippines – including PT-boat skippers John Brickley (Robert Montgomery) and Rusty Ryan (John Wayne) – will give the U.S. war effort time to regroup after the devastation of Pearl Harbor.

Director John Ford’s World War II tale knows its battle-scarred topic firsthand. Montgomery was himself a Pacific PT-boat commander and a valorous Bronze Star recipient. Ford filmed the Academy Award-winning documentary The Battle of Midway. And Wayne creates a portrait of patriotic resolve as only he can. They Were Expendable salutes all who expended themselves during some of the war’s bleakest hours.
5d63803721e23bad33a48cff220542d7.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A wonderful film, and possibly Robert Montgomery's finest hour on screen. Certainly Jack Pennick's.

They Were Expendable was one of the first films I bought on DVD. I hope this Blu-ray disc is up to Warner Archives' usual exemplary standard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That 1.78 aspect ratio can't be right! Another John Wayne title to cross off my list of unreleased BD titles.:)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Fan-bloody-tastic! I never thought this would be released on Blu-ray, as I heard (read somewhere) that the elements weren't in great shape. The Warner DVD never looked that good (but it is quite old now). The Duke is doing really well this year, & the more John Ford the better. Reading the John Ford bio, this film was set to have Robert Taylor in the lead (& he would have been great, just see Bataan), but they couldn't get him late on, so John Wayne was cast, who is magnificent in the roll.

It's full steam ahead for the Warner Archive this year!

Last edited:

Mark VH

Second Unit
Haven't bought many WAC discs, but this is one I'll spring for. The best war film ever made IMO.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Now I can turn my WWII Warner's obsession towards Destination Tokyo, Desperate Journey, and Back to Bataan getting a BD release!
I'm surprise about Back to Bataan not being on Blu-ray as I've seen a HD presentation of it on Warner Instant.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That 1.78 aspect ratio can't be right! Another John Wayne title to cross off my list of unreleased BD titles.:)
I would actually consider HATARI! an "unreleased title," as the Blu-ray Paramount gave us looks so crappy. But that's another thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks