What's new

Theremin fans? (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Anyone huge fans of Theremins? I've loved their sound for decades and have had fun farting around with Theremin apps like Bebot on iPhone, but since I have zero musical skill I've never thought about buying a full sized one.

Fortunately Moog has seen the market for fans like me and is set to release a smaller, noob friendly Theremin, their Theremini:

http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-sound/product_demo/theremini-dorit-chrysler

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/etherwave-theremins/theremini

It was introduced a few months back but still seems to be unreleased, hope to get mine as soon as they ship!

One of the folks whose enthusiasm for Theremin got me jazzed about messing around with one of my own is Kip Rosser, he has a ton of tutorials about how to get started:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157604958800004/

http://kiprosser.com/

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I've always loved the sound of the Theremin going back to Day The Earth Stood Still and other 1950's sci fi movies. The The Beach Boys used it on Good Vibrations . I play a little guitar, so this interests me .I didn't notice a price for this mini version.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Whenever this subject comes up, I always suggest this DVD to people interested in the history and musicality of the instrument.

51KO4nM77OL._SY300_.jpg

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lou,I too loved it in The Day the Earth Stood Still (and by extension, Lost In Space). And it's use in The Outer Limits (original series) is chilling and in many cases so appropriate to what we see on the screen in select episodes.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Elvis Costello's keyboard player Steve Nieve often uses one during their concerts and it's a pretty cool effect. I can't imagine owning one as I have zero musical instrument playing ability but I'm wholeheartedly in favor of more people having them!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I love the theremin, and have one.

I assembled a Moog Etherwave kit over ten years ago, and I'm ashamed to say that while it's been a lovely fixture in my "music room", I've only played around with it a few times. It works fine, I think, but you really have to make sure there aren't things in close proximity that will interfere with it. And I've always been bugged by the fact that in spite of what I thought was meticulous care, I must have soldered something wrong because one of the control knobs was working in reverse...and I really don't want to go ripping it apart.

I forget now. I'll have to go back to the instructions and get it up and running again to see what's what.

Of course what I should really do is go back to the instructional video tapes, re-familiarize myself with the basics, and practice, practice, practice!

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Oh man, that current one shown in the links above looks fantastic, with range adjustments and presets and all. That puts it way ahead of mine, for someone who really plays a lot of stuff. And all for the same price as my old-fashioned basic one with the nice oak cabinet! :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have a limited edition cherry red Theremin and an electric piano amplifier. I have not played it in awhile but it's good to have.

mylan

Screenwriter
One of my favorite blues rock guitarists, Joe Bonamassa, has used a therimen in concert. He waves his hand near the thing and makes all kinds of cool noises, at the last concert I went to he had taken to using the guitar neck to similar effect. I'm on my phone at the moment but search Joe Bonamassa "Who Killed John Henry".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks