Theme ideas: Retro Movies

Discussion in 'Movies' started by TheLongshot, Mar 17, 2005.

1. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I'm looking to do a theme party in the near future, and I'm looking for ideas to fill it out.

Basically the theme is "retro movies", meaning that I want a 'modern' (as in, when it was made) film that imitates an older style of filmmaking.

For example, "Down With Love", which is made to look like a Hudson/Day film, or "Sky Captian", which imitates the feel of serials of the time, or "The Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra", which is a tribute to all those bad Sci-Fi films made in Bronson Canyon.

Those are what I have so far. I'm looking for additional ideas to fill this list out. Any ideas out there?

Jason

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Guy Maddin's films are generally informed by the early-talkie era, as well as a variety of other seminal styles. Check out "Careful" for a mix of the early-talkie and German mountain film, or screen the short "The Heart of the World" for a contemporary take on silent-era expressionism mixed with Soviet montage.

Also, "Far From Heaven", an update on Douglas Sirk's "women's weepers" (particularly "All that Heaven Allows").

Woody Allen's "Shadows and Fog" for German Expressionism, but it's not a particularly good film IMO (and I'm a Woody fan).

3. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Hudsucker Proxy imitates films like His Girl Friday.

And the Coens have also done a couple of film noirs, one in color and one in B&W with Blood Simple and Man Who Wasn't There. Even Miller's Crossing is pretty noirish though its also a gangster flick.

4. glen_esq

glen_esq Stunt Coordinator

Silent Movie except for a "Non!" is silent, and tries for the slapstick style of a 1920s Buster Keaton comedy.

5. MitchellD

MitchellD Agent

Movie, Movie imitates the serials of yesteryear.

6. glen_esq

glen_esq Stunt Coordinator

Hairspray is a send-up of early 60s teen films.

Along the same lines, Young Frankenstein for classic 30s horror Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, etc.

7. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Some interesting choices.

"Silent Movie" would be a great idea, except that it isn't out on DVD.

I'm trying to avoid spoofs whereever possible. I like to see films that take the concepts at least half seriously. That's why none of Mel Brooks films are on my list.

"Hairspray" is definitly a possibility, tho. Not sure if "The Hudsucker Proxy" really fits, tho.

Jason

8. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Interesting idea. I was going to mention "Far From Heaven", but somebody already beat me to it.

There have been tons of people make Hitchcock-esque movies, probably the most obvious being Depalma's "Obsession" (This may be too old to meet your criteria) which is very similar to Vertigo. I've never seen "What Lies Beneath", but I seem to recall a lot of people comparing that to some Hitchcock movie.

I like the idea of "Hudsucker Proxy" as it has the fast talk dialogue ala "His Girl Friday".

Cameron Crowe is a big fan of Billy Wilder and many of his films contain similarities, I'm not sure if they're as obvious as some of the other ideas listed but it's worth a shot. "Jerry Maguire" & "Say Anything" have many striking similarities to classic Wilder and "Almost Famous" does to a lesser degree.

9. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

Tarantino's Kill Bill Volume 1 , it imitates and pays tribute to HK's Martial Arts & Kung fu, Japanese anime and blaxploitation classics.

If you need one made outside Hollywood, how about Bad Education?, it is Almodovar's homage to Hitchcock. [Of course, if you want a frame by frame Hollywood Hitchcockian remake, you could always take Gus Van Sant's cinematic blasphemy, Psycho [​IMG]]

10. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

Psycho Beach Party mirrors 60's beach movies and 70's slasher movies, and very much looks from the time period (thought it was released in 1999(?))

11. Alex F

Alex F Stunt Coordinator

Arman just mentioned Kill Bill, so I'll go with Jackie Brown, Tarantino's other blaxploitation flick. It's a very underappreciated movie.