What's new

Theater updated! (PLVZ1) (1 Viewer)

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys I have been busy the last couple days playin tennis and working. but I finally got around to taking some pics of the new upgrades! Im gonna need some input as it is not totally done yet just a couple things here and there to change.

Just couldnt wait to share. Please suggest away! while I tweak with stuff. Right now I am enjoying this sooo much.

Clcik link in signature and your there!

sean_pecor

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, big improvements! If you have friends over to watch movies then I hope you have them take their tennis shoes off before hopping on your bed with their bowl of popcorn :)

You asked for input and I have a creative suggestion. You mentioned some sort of cloth mural cover for the screen, so it made me think about how something like that would look in the current room. My first thought was that it would be nice to tie everything together somehow, so it's not just a speaker here, a speaker there, a screen here, a pillow there etc. Here is a quick mock up:

The gray border on the back wall, rising through to the ceiling and shifting to a brighter gray matching the screen, and then returning to the current ceiling color would look very nice in that room. You could maybe border the entire circumference of the ceiling in this way, or just the wall with the screen. You could use paint, or a tightly woven cloth material that wouldn't show the ceiling color through the material, and would be tight enough not to catch as much dust over time.

I think something like this would look sweet!

BTW, I like your dream catchers. My mother, who is a Mik Maq native from a reservation in eastern Canada, would approve :)

Sean.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Nice components. Did you stretch blackout fabric and paint the screen gray?

andre-k

Agent
Just wondering, how is the picture quality? I am in the process of building a theater and have been throwing around the idea of a front projector such as yours instead of a rear projection set. My room is 11 by 14 so I could use the extra couple of feet that the front projo allows me. I have heard that the sub 2000 dollar projectors werent very good for home theater, Im hoping you can prove me wrong or least tell me your experience with it.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
I myself work for a dealer and sell no projector less then 5500 bucks being the Yamaha LCD LPX500. (w/c I may upgrade to in the not to distant future)

right now even at my cost and patience, they are out of my price range.

Why would I invest in a sub 2000 projector, rather a 1500 dollar projector? Because it looks great! Given you put it in as best a possible environment as you can. I know a good picture when I see one. For under 2000 dollars there are so many amazing options.

Let me just say that I have thrown some difficult material at this projector before purchasing. My favorite being Minority Report. (good combination of dark and bright scenes along with kubrick graininess) I was absolutely caught off guard by the picture and light this sub 1500 projector gave me. Better than most commercial venues and a 6 foot wide screen in the comfort of home.

Geez just look at the surge of projector posts in this forum!

sean- wow that looks awesome thanks ... that and my mural cover would look great .... I wouldnt use paint though maybe felt? My Goal is to ultimately clean things up
but maintaining the rooms identity as a BEDroom. Focal point will be bed ... not screen.

Neil- I did plain Blackout and then eventually painted it silver. ALOT of potential for the silver. But failed at getting even coats. will try later. But what im using now is stretched grey nylon that has a sheen to it. I found it while picking up more blackout cloth. cheap too 8 bucks for like 4 yards! picture looks great!

Thanks guys...... I will update and actully do links to each picture for bettr view...

Erik Congrats on featured theater. Well deserved!

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Mark acouple of questions:

How do you like your Monster power center (looks like that anyway)?

For the screen did you try white versus grey and if you did what are your thoughts?

Seems like a saw a previous post where you talked about that.

Just a note. I bought a roll of cable from partsexpress plus coax RCA connectors and made my own 40ft component cables. Unfortunately the roll was 1000ft (but was on sale cheap). I have cable for the next 50 years

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
OH I love it! Very intuitive and very easy to program. So far I attribute the perceived increase in performance to the upgrade in cabling and interconnects. I will a/b with and without when I get a new amp/receiver. I hope though to see as much of a difference in my LCD Projector as I did when we a/b'd it on the sales floor with 2 60" grand vegas
(one open box exchanged by customer for smaller 50" and our demo floor model) I know so far it has gotten rid of the audio drop-outs that plagued my system whenever someone switched lights on or off and when I changed speeds on my electric fan. - mphtps7000 signature series balanced power line conditioner.

I initially had plain blackout cloth then 3 day later painted it silver. Great potential for PQ but failed at getting even coats onto screen. Paint even followed stretch of blackout over frame. I WILL DEFINATELY TRY SILVER AGAIN WITH MDF! I am currently using a grey nylon I came across at jo-annes when picking up more blackout. it has a nice sheen to it and is cheap! This will more than do for now as blacks are indeed black and it still is bright due to the sheen and tight thread count.

still awaiting Monster Video 3 ISF 50ft component cables.
Had a great deal on all my monster stuff for my company.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah I coul not stnd the pictures I initially took of the updated MartheaPlexx. On this P.O.S. Dell camera that came with my comp daytime pics look way better!

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Looks like a really nice HT. Those Energy speakers look very clean and classy, and I have to say I love your posters too! Where did you get them?

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
prints plus places like that...... stuff ive picked up over the years.

my favorite of course is the bebe poster Yamila Diaz Rahi is one of my "10's". I happened to walk past a bebe and got
them to call me when they took the posters down from their show windows. I have 3 versions and you can see each one in the evoluton of the theater.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Yep, those are the ones I meant. Good score. When I was back at school we used to have an awesome Drew Barrymore Guess ad, but it got a bit trashed. Ah, the hazards of university housing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.