What's new

Theater Placement advice (1 Viewer)

Mike<> C

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few ideas for the room size and shape please take a look at all three and give me your opinion on which you think would be best. Im considering the Polk series 60,CS2,40, and 30's the 30,40 will be on mounts of course.

You will note there is two differant closet pics, those are two differant configurations of the room, I believe the room WILL actuallybe the one marked "closer closet"

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
My preference would be for either of the second two (the third I like the best, just because bigger room = bigger display). I think you're better off getting a bit more distance between the side/surround speakers and the seating position. Also, even with good blackout curtains, I'd be concerned that there would still be some glare (from the edges of the curtains) on the display if it's opposite the window.

Good luck with the project!

~Jason

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's a lot of space between the couch and the TV (assuming this will be for video). How big is the screen? Moving the couch closer (number 2 or 3) will help a bit with the rear surrounds as well.

Also, the location of your sub may change with experimentation. Try to find as many places as you can to locate it and try them all.

Mike<> C

Stunt Coordinator
thats a lot of good advice...the TV is a 50' Panasonic plasma, I think the configuration I will have to go with is the second one and I dont have a lot of play with the surrounds as you can see there is a window and the rears will have to be placed above the closet door. I think the sub will be up front or possibly in the closet but Im not really any good at balance of a sub .

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Originally Posted by David Willow

That's a lot of space between the couch and the TV (assuming this will be for video). How big is the screen? Moving the couch closer (number 2 or 3) will help a bit with the rear surrounds as well.
I have to agree that their appears to lot of space between the couch and video. I have a 52" LCD and my prime viewing seating is between 8' to 10' from the screen. Although I have more space to the rear I wouln't want to be any farther back from the screen.

As Dave says I would experiment with as may speaker configerations as possible. The use of a system like Audussey which is built into most recievers these days will allow you to fine tune your speaker outputs to your viewing area.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by CB750

As Dave says I would experiment with as may speaker configerations as possible. The use of a system like Audussey which is built into most recievers these days will allow you to fine tune your speaker outputs to your viewing area.
Just keep in mind that Audyssey (or any EQ) is not a substitute for placement. First you find the best placement and then fine tune it.

Mike<> C

Stunt Coordinator
well as you can see I have issue moving the rears so how much differance would it make if I did move the couch forward and the rear speakers were then about 50 degrees, what do you think, I may add another seating position too if room permits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks