What's new

Theater Drapes and Curtains (1 Viewer)

trupro

Auditioning
Real Name
trupro
Hello all, new member here, love the forums and the great articles all around!

So now that I have found you, perhaps you can help in my search for soundrated drapes?

Really have an urgent need hang serious sound dampening curtains in front of 3 sets of doubledoors (bedroom, roomates room, livingroom) in order to separate the home theater in livingroom from our bedrooms, and to keep my musicmaking in my bedroom out of the hometheater etc. Any advice on where to buy or fabricate heavy pro stage drapery for this application at a discount is also much appreciated...

Was thinking we need serious weight, but Im rather uneducated about drapes. Obviously I wanted 21oz. velour all around, but I cant afford that. Theres a fellow who wants to sell me 16oz. commando cloth, but from my experience on stages I was thinking thats too thin.

Am I just missing the mark here? For instance: does typical matte black commando cloth come double-sided and filled, and hence would be fine for sound dampening?

If anyone has a link to some sort of sound rated per fabric type or ounce wieght chart sort of thing, that would be awesome.

Thank you kindly and happy friday!

trupro

Auditioning
Real Name
trupro
UPDATE: theater curtain gurus, tell me if this sounds right:

16oz Velour @ $10 per yard

Cotton Filler fabric @ 5$ per yard

lightweight backing @ 3$ per yard

(all fabrics above come in a standard 54inch width, so those are all 1yard high x 54" wide)

Velour + filler + backing, all 3 yards high, 9 panels of each material, in order to create soundrated drapes covering a total of 3 doublewide doorways, which is a

total area of 9ft high x 36ft wide

fabric = $513

labor to construct = $150

mounting hardware tbd

if this sounds nutty to you, chime in. Maybe Im doin it wrong.

What say you experts?

thanx!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks