theater dimensions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Phil P, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Phil P

Phil P Agent

What do you think would be the minimum size of a room(length, height, and width)for a dedicated home theater that could comfortably seat about 6-8 people with a 100 inch screen?

2. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

I would say a minimum would be 20' long by 15' wide by 10' high. That's about what mine works out to be and I think 6 would be very comfortable, 8 would be very tolerable.

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Just make sure you don't have any dimensions that are the same or multiples of each other. This will help minimize standing wave problems.

4. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Minimum?

For a 100" 16x9 screen (49" x 87") and with adequate space on each side for speakers, I would have a minimum width of 11ft. For height, and that size of screen, and considering projector mounting, 8ft. The length of the room can depend on what type of seating you want, the type of projector and how long its throw is etc. Your first row of seating should be no closer than 10ft (11 is preferrable but this is slightly subjective too). You could decide to do something like a U-shaped sofa assembly that would fit all 8 people with minimal space taken away from the length of the room. You could also decide to go with 2 sofas, one behind the other, one on a riser, which would require more room length. But since we are dealing with minimums, I would have a minimum of 13ft.

So my final numbers are 11' x 13' x 8' (width, length, height)

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

7. Phil P

Phil P Agent

Thanks for all the input.
    Phil

8. Jeff Engel

Jeff Engel Stunt Coordinator

Jay, here is a link to some photos I took of my setup.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=232084
    I have a marantz vp12s2 and first row of seating is about 11ft away. My screen size is 123" diagonal, not sure about exact width. I like to oversize my screen to really simulate the theater. I see no screen door from 11ft away, squinting at 10 ft I do but not from where I sit. The screen is large enough that I can have 2 rows of up to 8 people and nobody has a bad view.
    I also have floorstanding speakers which intrude a little into the space. You are correct that between row space is at a premium. There is barley enough space for theater style recliners. It puts the second row too close to rear surrounds for my taste, but I'm in the front row anyway,[​IMG]
    That is why I said 20 ft would be a minimum, 22 would be ideal. Let me know what you think after you look at the pictures.

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Hey Jeff
    F'ing A. Some questions and observations...

10. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jay,

Your dimensions are very similar to the HT I am just starting to build. My finished dimensions for the "theater proper" will be approximately 22'L x 17'W x 9.5'H.

I will have two rows of seating, three single Berkline 090's for the front row and a pair of Berkine 090 loveseats in the rear. Front row seating should have eyeballs at about 11' or so with the second row at about 17'. Current plan is a Sanyo PLV-70 firing onto a 96"W x 54"H (1.78:1) Stewart Greyhawk microperf.

If you'd like to get an idea how this will look please take a look at the "design" and "gallery" pages on my HT site. (link below) All furniture and equipment is drawn to manufactures' spec dimensions which allows me to get a pretty good picture of how things will come together. I did similar drawings for my home before it was built and they were remarkably accurate compared to the final product, so I'm fairly confident this will turn out the same.

Obviously this isn't an exact science, and as the room takes shape I will most likely need to modify my plans a bit, but having the room more or less laid out in advance certainly helps.

If you have any questions after viewing my setup please don't hesitate to ask.

11. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Chip

Really, really cool. How did you do those renderings?!! I would love to "pre-vis" what I've drafted.

I really like the way the front section has been designed. Sexy yet functional. What rationale was used for speaker and seating locations?

12. Scott_Vonhof

Scott_Vonhof Agent

My room is 22 1/2 feel long, 15 feet wide in the front, 13 in the rear. It would have been nice to have a full 15 feet all the way, but the house facade does not allow that. That said, I seat six very comfortably, in three reclining love-seats. Also, depending on door location, you could have plenty of width with only 14 feet of width if you used chairs like the Berkline recliners with four seats per row and three arms per row, one on each end and one in the middle, giving you basically two connected love seats. Do two rows and you have seating for 8.

BTW, when you look at the spec sheets for Stewart, Draper and Dalite, their sheets show the main dimension in diagonal, for the screen size. I have a 100" diagonal screen.

13. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Nice pictures Chip!
    Jay,
    Chip used Punch! Home Design Architectural Series
    for the renderings on his website.
    He also uses SmartDraw Professional Plus v6.0 and Broderbund 3D Home Architect v4.0
    http://theater.c5design.com/software.html

14. Chip_Slattery

Chip_Slattery Stunt Coordinator

Jay,
    As Glenise mentioned I initially used Punch! for the renderings and SmartDraw for the floorplans. If you take a look at the "Archives" section at the bottom of the "gallery" page you'll see these initial renderings.
    The most recent renderings on the main "gallery" page were done with a program called Revit. This is more of a professional architectural program and pretty expensive:
    Autodesk Revit
    I found the Punch! software to be the best of the "consumer" (i.e. under $150) programs and highly recommend it. It will do pretty much everything you need.
    The speaker locations were actually determined by Dennis Erskine (www.designcinema.com) who I contracted for the design, and they have remained consistent with the original plans with the exception of the subs. Since I'll be going with dual SVS's I figure I'll run my setup by the folks over there to get their input on optimal placement, then play with their location until I find what works best in the room.
    I've modified the original seating plan a bit, but I've tried to stick to the "1.5x screen width" theory as much as possible for the front row.
    A lot of this project is fluid, meaning as things progress there will be little tweaks (and maybe some major ones!) to the design. I wanted to get the room itself right which is why I hired Dennis. The other items (seating, speaker locations, etc.) can be tweaked rather easily later...the room cannot.
    I'm going to try and document the whole project as complete as possible so check back to my site for updates. If you have any questions on the project or the software mentioned previously don't hesitate to ask.