What's new

The year is almost a third over and what has Warner given us? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
From WAC's Facebook post today There are several guesses but I go with HIT THE DECK.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 35

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Matt Hough said:
That's as good a guess as any (Hit the Deck), and while it's a fluffy, entertaining Cinemascope musical, I sure can think of a dozen others I'd rather have.
Yep me too. BRIGADOON, THE UNSINKABLE MOLLY BROWN, SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS and even the VistaVision of HIGH SOCIETY.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I can't imagine anybody getting too exiting over Hit the Deck. I'd love to see Harvey Girls myself.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
A lot of those other titles people are listing seem to be ones I can't see Warner Home Video handing over to Warner Archive, especially Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and High Society.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Is one of those complaining about complaining posts?
Complain away, but that doesn't mean others can't dispute such complaints when a contrary point is to be made. By the way, I'm not happy with the pace of Warner's catalog BD releases either. As a film buff, I wish they were many more of them.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
There are several fifties movies that Warner own that I'd love to see released, but if they're not, I can't really complain (but I probably will!), I can't expect Warner to release poor selling titles just to please me, but...I think there are important films that should be released in HD, films that are part of Americans cultural heritage (if that's not putting it too strongly), films like: The Bad & The Beautiful, Bad Day At Black Rock, Mister Roberts, Lust For Life, & I'm sure a few others. That's what I'm disappointed about, the no show of films like this.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
One thing that seemed to indicate a faster path from DVD to Blu-ray for Warner catalog was the DVD with multi-disc editions (note the recent releases of the James Dean films and The Right Stuff, as well as the upcoming releases of The Big Red One and The Outsiders). Taking a quick look I only see the following 2+ disc DVD releases that are not yet on Blu-ray:

Around the World in 80 Days (1956)
The Band Wagon (1953)
Bringing Up Baby (1938)
The Cardinal (1963)
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (1970)
O Lucky Man! (1973)
Pat Garret and Billy the Kid (1973)
The Philadelphia Story (1940)
Prince of the City (1981)
Ryan's Daughter (1970)
Selena (1997)
Sergeant York (1941)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1954)
This Is Elvis (1981)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)
Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)

Now, barring element issues or much lower sales for the DVD than they had anticipated, one would think most of these titles would make it out to Blu-ray eventually, whether through regular WHV release or WAC.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
The Hepburn movies would be awesome, especially Philadelphia Story and Bringing up Baby. "Holiday" was released through Columbia, so is that one a possible candidate for Twilight Time?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Any Sony catalog is apparently in play for Twilight Time (or Criterion, for that matter). The main factor seems to be if Sony has gone through their excellent remastering process.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
trajan said:
Would love to have THE CARDINAL on bluray
I forgot, but how did Warner get video ownership of this title as it wasn't a Warner theatrical release? The DVD cover says it was a Gamma Production film distributed by Columbia.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Have I mentioned that I would like Warners to release High Society next? My next musical choice after that would be Three Little Words.

Non musicals would be The Narrow Margin or The Three Musketeers (1948).

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
AnthonyClarke said:
Warner should bring us Fred and Ginger this year, and the long-promised Show Boat trilogy. Sadly, 'should' just reflects my optimism....
Considering that the 1936 "Show Boat" just received an Archive release, I'm not sure if we'll ever see that 'Trilogy' set... :(

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Matt Hough said:
That's as good a guess as any (Hit the Deck), and while it's a fluffy, entertaining Cinemascope musical, I sure can think of a dozen others I'd rather have.
An important CinemaScope title for the period, it sadly marked the end of the line (or quite close to it) for many of its stars. It was Jane Powell's last MGM film, certainly. I could think of several musicals I'd love seeing on Blu-ray ahead of this ("Silk Stockings", "Love Me or Leave Me" and "Seven Brides..."), but I'll probably still pick this up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks