What's new

The year is almost a third over and what has Warner given us? (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
bruceames said:
Warner has BY FAR the largest classic library, and not only that, they have probably 75-80 percent of all the best movies from the pre-1960 era. I agree with the OP and their lack of activity in that regard is alarming. Blu-ray is not getting any more viable for classics, and the Warner Archive for Blu-ray is practically a non-starter (don't think they've released a single movie from the Hollywoods Golden Age.)

Universal hasn't released much from that era because the overall quality of their movies from that time is not very good. They're known for their horror films, serials and B-movies, but not much else.
Universal ALSO has MOST of Paramount's pre-50's catalog in their film vaults...when are THEY gonna start ponying up with THOSE TITLES, bruce???

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
lukejosephchung said:
Universal ALSO has MOST of Paramount's pre-50's catalog in their film vaults...when are THEY gonna start ponying up with THOSE TITLES, bruce???
Probably when Warner starts ponying up some of theirs. Never. I wonder though what kind of condition those are in. Could be they don't know themselves until they "open up the cans" and it becomes a case where it's not worth the effort.

trajan

Screenwriter
Real Name
lar
I just read that Warner is having a year long celebration of Batmans 75 anniversary. . I guess thats where all their money is going. Good luck on the rest of the year on catalog titles. Maybe they will come up with yet another reissue of ALL THE PRESIDENTS MEN.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Well Im looking forward to the Time Machine...as for the Women not so much..I wish they would have released The Damned Dont Cry or Mildred Pierce instead.
I really hope they do some classic Noirs and Gangsters this year....

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
There's been a healthy amount of Warner output so far this year and, yes, the first 3 or 4 months of the year are traditionally slow, but what I find frustrating the most is that they're not doing much with the Paramount acquisitions. Plus, the Warner Archive BDs have pretty much been non-existent. Why take on another studios' library if you're barely doing anything with your own catalog?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
lukejosephchung said:
When the devil is up to his armpits in snow.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
trajan said:
I just read that Warner is having a year long celebration of Batmans 75 anniversary. . I guess thats where all their money is going.
Considering that Batman comic books/trade paperbacks, Blu-ray/DVD/downloads, shirts, toys, etc. are going to generate millions of dollars for them this year (and every other year), you're probably right in thinking that they will focus on that highly profitable property.

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
bruceames said:
Probably when Warner starts ponying up some of theirs. Never. I wonder though what kind of condition those are in. Could be they don't know themselves until they "open up the cans" and it becomes a case where it's not worth the effort.
IMO that's the bottom line in determining what gets released - "what kind of condition" are they in. I'm sure many of the classic titles, especially from the 30's, 40's and 50's are in serious need of major restoration to be good enough for Blu-Ray release, to say nothing of UHD release. Unless the cost to restore can be made back, they won't bother. And if they decide to restore, then they need to do it so it can be good enough for UHD otherwise they'd have to do it again. And that prevents them additionally from investing the funds and time. It's not that the person's involved in the video area of the various studios don't want to get the titles out there, it's getting the corporate bigwigs in charge of the money to give them the budget to do it.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
moovtune said:
IMO that's the bottom line in determining what gets released - "what kind of condition" are they in. I'm sure many of the classic titles, especially from the 30's, 40's and 50's are in serious need of major restoration to be good enough for Blu-Ray release, to say nothing of UHD release. Unless the cost to restore can be made back, they won't bother. And if they decide to restore, then they need to do it so it can be good enough for UHD otherwise they'd have to do it again. And that prevents them additionally from investing the funds and time. It's not that the person's involved in the video area of the various studios don't want to get the titles out there, it's getting the corporate bigwigs in charge of the money to give them the budget to do it.

That's very true. However I suspect that the Warner and MGM films are in relatively better shape that the Universal-owned Paramount films, so I hope that Warner at least will be less throttled by that constraint and will start releasing some of their beloved classics sooner or later. It hasn't slowed Fox down one bit though, so I hope Warner still has some sense of pride and still wants to be known as the studio with the greatest classic vault in the world.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cineMANIAC said:
There's been a healthy amount of Warner output so far this year and, yes, the first 3 or 4 months of the year are traditionally slow, but what I find frustrating the most is that they're not doing much with the Paramount acquisitions. Plus, the Warner Archive BDs have pretty much been non-existent. Why take on another studios' library if you're barely doing anything with your own catalog?
It is not a paramount acquisition. It is a distribution deal in which Warner and Paramount decide which titles to release based on the condition of the elements. Warner is not doing any work on the elements and depends on what Paramount has, which we learned with the release Blu-ray release of HATARI. The deal is a renewable agreement for three years that started Jan 1, 2013. So far it seems that WAC has been the supporter of getting OOP titles back in the market.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well there's so many 50's & 60's Warner (& I'm thinking of Warner & the old MGM) titles I'd love, & I can see just one on Brandon's list, The Americanization Of Emily, & we have the forthcoming, The Time Machine. I'm not hopeful.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Thought about picking up the upcoming Warner bluray release of the catalog title "Rock Star".

Asked the SO if there was any interest in upgrading the title, but so far no interest. (My SO was into all that hairspray rockstar stuff back in the 1980's). The dvd was "good enough".

EDIT: If I do end up purchashing Rock Star on bluray, most likely it will be from the $5 dump bins a year or two from now.

EDIT2: This "Rock Star" movie is not exactly my favorite movie. It's way down low on my priority list.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In hindsight, the only titles that the SO was interested in upgrading to bluray, turned out to be mostly action and sci-fi type stuff. (ie. Stuff with a lot of fast moving scenes, special effects, etc ...).

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have heard that Warner is working on at least some of the Bogart Becal titles. I think that they are doing a good job on the Paramount titles so far. I am really disappointed with what they have been doing lately with their pre-1970s catalog. On the other hand, I am super excited about their upcoming release of the Batman series, so it's a mixed bag.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
JoeDoakes said:
I have heard that Warner is working on at least some of the Bogart Becal titles
Well that's some encouraging news at least, while we wait for them to resume their activity regarding pre-1970 catalog. Hopefully we'll see something this year.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
JoeDoakes said:
On the other hand, I am super excited about their upcoming release of the Batman series, so it's a mixed bag.
Actually now that you mention it it looks like the Adam West series, assuming it does get released this year, will undoubtedly be the biggest publicized deep catalog release of the year and quite possibly the hottest seller.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
bruceames said:
Well that's some encouraging news at least, while we wait for them to resume their activity regarding pre-1970 catalog. Hopefully we'll see something this year.
We already have just not to your satisfaction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks