Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

The X Files: The Event Series Blu-ray Review

xfile10top-150x150.jpg

The X Files: The Event Series was something of a mixed blessing event at the start of 2016 with the return of one of the most iconic series of...
Continue reading the original article.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Thanks for the review, Matt.
But here's a laugh: Just got the blu-ray, and on the cover sticker, it says "New Episodes Answer All Questions" (!) and "Extras Reveal More Secrets!"

Does anyone really feel the series "answered all questions"? Or any?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Overall, I enjoyed these episodes but the big problem was that the two weakest episodes were the last two to run. Between that and a completely unexpected and unwelcome cliffhanger*, fans probably don't have the best memories of this season.

* I saw Chris Carter point out that the show almost always went out on a cliffhanger and that made me somewhat 'forgive' this season for going out on a cliffhanger as well (since I'm sure they'll eventually be back) but it was still a bad move and hopefully that doesn't get repeated.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One of the things I always liked about THE X-FILES was that it didn't answer all the questions, or even most of them. Yes, it was frustrating and confusing a few times, but overall I enjoyed the mystery more than the answers. It's kind of like a wrapped present: it's often more fun anticipating opening it--and wondering what could be inside--(anything!) than it is opening it and finding out. For me that was a big strength of THE X-FILES: not knowing.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I agree, it never bothered me that some of the X-Files loose ends went unresolved and unexplained...entirely a different reaction to my feelings about Lost...I was disappointed with the resolution of that show and regretted ever having stuck with it for the long hall, feeling the whole absurdity of that show was contrived as they just threw things together...I have mixed feelings about "X-Files, the Event Series", but I'll still resume watching when it comes back next season...I don't feel the need to ever have the series on dvd / blu however...

My favourite memory of the original '90s series is Scully and Mulder standing over a body cut in half and burned beyond recognition...
Scully : "Well, should we arrest David Copperfield?"
Mulder : "Yes, but not for this"

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
i have mixed feelings about "X-Files, the Event Series", but I'll still resume watching when it comes back next season...

The problem is that it's not coming back next season, so it was especially awful to end on a cliffhanger when there's no return. The principles have all expressed interest in doing some more episodes further down the road, but there are no set plans to do so, and I believe it's been stated that if the show comes back again, it won't be next year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...and I believe it's been stated that if the show comes back again, it won't be next year.
I think when they announced their fall schedule, someone at Fox said they were hoping to get it on in the 2017-18 season. Obviously that isn't definite but that seems like a reasonable expectation with Anderson's schedule. As for Duchovny, it was a miracle that Aquarius got a second season so I imagine that show won't get renewed and he'll have more time available.

I waited more than 7 years after the last movie (and over 13 since the last episode) to see M&S again so I can deal with a two year wait.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think when they announced their fall schedule, someone at Fox said they were hoping to get it on in the 2017-18 season. Obviously that isn't definite but that seems like a reasonable expectation with Anderson's schedule. As for Duchovny, it was a miracle that Aquarius got a second season so I imagine that show won't get renewed and he'll have more time available.

I waited more than 7 years after the last movie (and over 13 since the last episode) to see M&S again so I can deal with a two year wait.

I can deal with the wait too - I just wish they hadn't ended on a cliffhanger, much less a cliffhanger to a new mythology that I found incredibly unsatisfying and that contradicts everything that we've actually seen with our own eyes over nine previous seasons and two movies. When you know you're coming back in three months, sure... when you've got no idea if you're ever coming back? That's just bad storytelling.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Y'all are being WAY too kind. We got jacked, plain and simple. The original mythology was intricate and fascinating, albeit convoluted and ultimately less than cohesive... but I still loved it. This "new" mythology completely jettisoned that intricate and fascinating tapestry for what amounted to a half-baked and over-simplified sucker punch. I was furious when that sixth episode aired, and I'm no less furious now. This whole "event series" was a crass cash-grab on Chris Carter's part and is a blemish on the series as a whole. The only worthwhile episode was "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster," which Carter didn't write. If it does come back (and there's no guarantee it will), I hope Vince Gilligan is running the show. He's the only one who can save it.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Morgan, Wong, Gilligan, and Spotnitz should be the only ones allowed to touch The X-Files! Gilligan and Morgan would be preferred over any of them IMHO.

Carter just needs to hang it up.

The Were-Beast episode was the absolute best out of the mini-series. The rest were varying degrees of eh and the ones where Anderson and Duchovny seemed the most out of it and bored.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks