What's new

The World's Essential Films!? (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'd have to disagree with you, Arman, that Forrest Gump, Teminator 2, Se7en, Gladiator, Shrek, and Lion King should be disincluded. Oh well, as John said, it's all objective.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I'm glad this thread came back to life because I think the original list is excellent. Popularity is as influential as quality, I'm afraid, so it's necessary to strike a balance between the two, which the list does. I'm not too enamored of The Matrix, for example, but it's importance is enormous if only because it was in the right place at the right time. It's own superior influences are easy to trace, and some are listed, but, c'mon, who hasn't seen The Matrix??

If anything, I'd cut the list by 30-50%. "Essential" is a strong word, and we can't just add every four star movie that comes to mind. Although Robocop, La Femme Nikita, Rushmore, Audition, and Minority Report need spots, I think.:) At the expense of The Royal Tenenbaums, Speed, Shrek, Leon and Far From Heaven, let's say.

The end of the list is much more arguable since the beginning of the list is pretty well settled.

Here's my essential essential films list:

The Passion of Joan of Arc
Citizen Kane
Back to the Future
The Decalogue
Pulp Fiction

Sorry if I slighted anybody!:D

DavidAls

Agent
Friggin' A. It's about time someone else mention this movie. I was beginning to think myself, J. Ro, and a few Iranians were its only viewership.

Don't know if I'd call it essential in the history of films, but it's a mighty beautiful movie.
I agree with you - it's status as an essential can be debated, but it's a beautiful movie that far too few people have seen - I think a lot of folks would be really blown away by it. On eof my favorite endings ever.

Eric Lipp

Agent
Rocky?

PS - I shall now have to smite you, Arman. You gave a thumbs down to one of the best movies ever...The Usual Suspects.

StephenA

Screenwriter
What about Phantom of the Opera from 1925 and Dracula and Frankenstein from 1931? Wouldn't they be considered essential? Or how about Glory from 1989?

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
One Mistake I noticed:
Dr. Strangelove is a 1964 movie (not 1963, as it is incorrectly listed)

Omissions:
- Agree with an earlier statement that From Russia With Love (1963) should be on the list.

- Would also argue for The Innocents (1961) being added to the list.

- Think Insignificance (1985) should be on the list.

- The richly rewarding Dangerous Liaisons (1988) should be there as well.

- Am bothered that Moulin Rouge (2001) is on the list, but Chicago (2002) is not. (Kander/Ebb's music alone makes it a more worthy entry.)

- Additional agree with earlier statements that The Return of the King (2003) should definitely be on the list.

- What about Apollo 13 (1995) ?

- Would add The Man Who Wasn't There (2001) to the list.

- And The Big Lebowski (1998)

- And Blood Simple (1984)

- And Raising Arizona (1987)

- As well as Barton Fink (1991)

- Add The Iron Giant (1999)

- And The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

- And Eraserhead (1977)

- And the other great essential Marx Brothers movies besides Duck Soup and A Night At The Opera:
- Animal Crackers (1930)
- Monkey Business (1931)
- Horse Feathers (1932)
- A Day at the Races (1937)

- And also add Ghost World (2001)

- And one of the biggest omissions: Orsen Welles' superb Chimes At Midnight (aka Falstaff) (1965 or 66?)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I apologize for any repeats... but here are some "essentials" that I'd like to add:

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1932)
The Unknown (1927)
A Hard Day's Night (1964)
Help! (1965)
Yellow Submarine (1968)
Around the World in Eighty Days (1956)
The Great Train Robbery (1903)
Out West (1918) [Fatty Arbuckle comedy]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks