What's new

The World's End - Quick review (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Insanely hilarious, wildly energetic, with a Twilight Zone twist and a healthy dose of self-actualization catharsis. Mix it all up and you get The World's End, a worthy continuation in Wright's assault on genre cinema that had me smiling and laughing all the way through. You can never quite go home again, but you can certainly drunkenly defend that home from secret alien (non)-robot invaders.

10/10

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad someone else here saw (and loved) this movie. I hadn't seen a trailer so I was totally surprised by the sci-fi elements. I'm a big fan of combining humor and heart and this movie did that very well.

Definitely one of the best movies I've seen all year.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I'd guess it was maybe 30 minutes or so. If I had known it was coming, I probably would have been more aware of when it happened. Since I didn't know, I was just wondering what kind of crazy turn the movie was taking. :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Yeah, well over half the movie deals with it. To me its no more of a twist than knowing Shaun of the Dead features zombies. It's a parody of the sci-fi secret invasion films like Invasion of the Body Snatchers, so I don't think it hurts the film to know about that ahead of time.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Also saw and loved the film. Impeccable script, great direction and editing, and solid performances all around. Totally hit the spot.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Heck, my surprise when I saw the trailers was that it *wasn't* entirely sci-fi. It was originally announced as an "end of the world" type film (in more than just name).

Really looking forward to seeing this.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I will say that the marketing in the form of TV ads is very confusing. At first most of them looked like a straight up comedy about 40 year-olds trying to relive their youth and comedy ensues from age and drinking. Sort of a The Hangover type deal and my interest is low. Then some later ads show hints and stronger hints that there is something else going on with all the blue goo getting blasted around. I plan on seeing it this weekend, hoping it is as good as Hot Fuzz, which I just love.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Went with 3 buddies. They all had no clue about the sci-fi twist. Not sure how I like how it ended. But, it didn't ruin the movie for me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'll echo the best movie I've seen this year statements. I'm surprised that I liked it better than Shaun Of The Dead, and Hot Fuzz combined, which to me is saying a whole lot because I loved those two! Now, I have heard the criticism that the character of Gary King is an asshole so the movie is a hard sell for them, him being the main character. What were they watching? I thought he was COOL :cool:
I laughed a lot, and thought there was a message deeper in the film, and toward the end which I loved. With Star Trek Into Darkness starting the summer, and this film ending it, I have to say it has been a fantastic year for movies.
Oh, and I finally caught the trailer for 'Bad Grandpa'...brilliant. Can't wait for that.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My wife and I saw this last night and we were both disappointed. We love Hot Fuzz for its take on the action buddy-cop movie with clever jabs at what people behaving like they do in movies would be like in "real life". "Have you ever jumped through a door and shot two guns at once?"

We were hoping The World's End would be the same thing but going after sci-fi movies. People trying to deal with a movie type scenario using ideas they got from movies but with real world consequences and the humor it generates. Instead the sci-fi part was just to change up the jokes around the old chestnut of "trying to relive the glory days as middle-aged men and drunk". It did have funny parts and laugh out loud moments, "You take the drain pipe", but we probably won't watch this again. I was actually most inspired by the last scene of the movie because that had potential to do a funny take on another genre of movie in the same vein as Hot Fuzz.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Didn't love it, but didn't loathe it. The film plays with the film's title in many ways, almost too much on the nose for me. But a lot of it is entertaining due to the script and cast chemistry, though cohesively, not as much. Given this year's slate of films, it was still a solid film if you're a fan of Pegg and Frost's previous output.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I enjoyed it, not quite as much as Hot Fuzz but still great. The ending was the only weak point for me, but it does fit.

I never saw trailers for this so I really had no idea about the twist. I was a little shocked when the mayhem in the restroom started.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I'll join the group of "good but nothing special" but I guess I should say that I haven't seen DEAD or FUZZ. I know, I know.

I thought the best part of the movie were the opening 40-minutes or so before the twist. I thought Pegg and the rest of the guys did a very good job throughout the film but the entire twist just really wasn't all that special. These "twist" pictures have been done much better including FROM DUSK TILL DAWN and hello, earlier we did get THIS IS THE END. Perhaps I would have enjoyed this more had I not seen that movie but I just felt it was so much more original, contained more laughs and everything that happened at the end worked better. There are still enough laughs to make this worth watching but it fell well short of some of the love going around for it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
...I guess I should say that I haven't seen DEAD or FUZZ. I know, I know.
I wasn't into Shaun Of The Dead the first time I saw it (zombies aren't supposed to be funny) but I've warmed to it upon more viewings. It's a movie about friendship but Wright combines that with a LOVE of Dawn Of The Dead.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
TravisR said:
I wasn't into Shaun Of The Dead the first time I saw it (zombies aren't supposed to be funny) but I've warmed to it upon more viewings. It's a movie about friendship but Wright combines that with a LOVE of Dawn Of The Dead.
Tough sell for me, but Shaun won me over with the idea of which 80's LP records to throw at zombies in your backyard. :)
("Prince Batman soundtrack?" "Throw it.")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks