THE WONDER YEARS (Consolidated Thread; No New Ones, Please!)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by ManuelIP, Apr 27, 2003.

1. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

Well, some songs just can't be licensed.

I don't think it could be profitable, it would be pretty funny though if the original music DVD cost in the regions of $100s you could tell that to the people who moan about music replacement.

I would like any possible original music, but I'd rather the episodes, I can't even remember half of it and I do not think 20 seconds of background noise is more important than 22 minutes of the show.

2. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

It looks like those of us who recognized what a quality series it was and taped and archived the original broadcasts have a lot of transferring to do.

3. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

4. ChadKo

ChadKo Stunt Coordinator

Watching that without music is like watching Beavis & Butthead without the videos. Its just not even close to the same. I would not buy it if less than 90% of the original music were there.
    Chad

5. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    How did the UK release of this handle the music?

I know some music in the show might be more essential than other music but if they must replace some incidental music in the background, they should still go with something proper from the period.

Music labels should be made aware that putting their music in these shows on DVD serves as advertisement for music that sometimes no longer get airtime on radio. Some of this music is out of mind, some people have forgotten it. If I hear something on boxsets of Wonder Years, China Beach, and WKRP that I have not heard in years, I might be inclined to purchase an album. If I have never heard a song before in my life and heard it on these shows I would probably be inclined to investigate them further. By not allowing classic songs to appear in classic television on DVD, those who own the rights are destroying the music's cultural significance and longevity of life. They are stabbing themselves in the foot by making this matter more complicated than it has to be.

6. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl

7. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg

8. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

The UK release is a no go, its delayed and delayed.

The UK couldn't even be uncut, they had to replace some songs just to broadcast it here. The Pilot sounds completely different.

9. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

10. Elena S

Elena S Supporting Actor

11. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
  12. Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz Stunt Coordinator

Music Studios are so stupid. Don't they realize that by including their songs in tv episodes and movies it puts a visual context with the song and promotes the music at the same time? I have bought a lot of cassettes, cds and mp3 downloads over the years based on hearing a song in a movie or tv show. The music studio should PAY to have their music featured in such prominence.

13. Josh_LaF

Josh_LaF Agent

I completely agree. Some of my favorite bands are bands I heard of through TV shows, mostly "Scrubs."

14. Hank E

Hank E Stunt Coordinator

15. Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou Cinematographer

I just saw on amazon.uk that wonder years is coming out on dvd tomorrow august 7th ? Ill believe it when i hear someone recieved it, anyway thats what it says on their site.

16. David Rain

David Rain Screenwriter

Dave
    The Wonder Years is headed to the I Network (formerly PAX) later this year. Since I didn't tape the original run of the show and I doubt that the entire series will ever see the light of DVD, I'll be Tivo'ing these. I hate syndicated cuts but at least the show will be back on in some form.

17. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

18. RoryR

RoryR Stunt Coordinator

19. LindseyS

LindseyS Stunt Coordinator

20. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

I wanted to let fans know that those who don't always go over on the "Studio and Manufacturer Feedback" forum here, that I've left Fox Home Entertainment an open feedback thread on "The Wonder Years". I hope other fans will follow on over and reply to that thread. With "WKRP in Cincinnati" coming next year, and with music substitutions, I hope the same fate will not happen to "The Wonder Years". I do have one question though. Refresh my memory, but was there an article with a Fox rep who said that this series was being worked on, but it's taking longer because they have to "replace some of the music in this series" and "that it’s not an overnight process”? I could be wrong.

Here's the direct link to that thread:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...01#post3038301