The Wolverine - July 26, 2013

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Sean Bryan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Wolverine is a great comic book character. I mean, he's just really, really cool. When I first read him I thought he was such a total badass, and I was intrigued by a character that was so different from what I was used to reading (Superman, Spider-Man, etc..).
    Jackson, while not quite an accurate physical match to the print character (he's too tall), did a great job in bringing this character to life in film. He was the best thing in The X-Men, and he rocked it in X2: X-Men United (which was simply a great movie all around). Even though X-Men: The Last Stand was bland and disappointing as a film, Jackman's Wolverine was still decent.
    Now, of course, X-Men Origins: Wolverine simply wasn't any good. Period. It's such a shame, because there was such potential for that to have been something really cool. But Fox lost sight of what the character should be, and the movie was just unengaging and unfocused. I was so disappointed in that movie. How the hell can you make a bad Wolverine movie!!?
    I'm still holding out hope for The Wolverine. I'm getting the impression that this will be less "X-Men light" and more of a straight on badass Wolverine story. Yes Aranofsky is out, but hopefully James Mangold can deliver a good Wolverine solo film. The film's story is based on Logan's arc in Japan, so there is the potential for a damn good movie. Here's hoping that's what we get instead of another disappointment .
    A promotional photo from The Wolverine

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    From Jackman:
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/hugh-jackman-talks-about-darren-aronofsky-s-interest-in-the-wolverine

3. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    James Mangold says The Wolverine will be set after the events of The Last Stand. It's not another prequel.
    He described the tone of the movie as
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=35599

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    A bit more from Mangold (from the Empire interview)

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Cool teaser poster!

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    That certainly IS an awesome poster!

7. Jacinto

Jacinto Second Unit

Jacinto
    Must... have... that... poster!!!

8. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    So is Origins no longer canon? Please say yes.

9. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I'm not sure. But it definitely seems as if they want to distance themselves from Origins.

10. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    I'm certain no one cares what is canon or not, just what film they like or not.

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Well, to be fair, the continuity has been pretty shaky in the X-films once the prequel movies were made.
    In X-Men, Xavier said he was 17 when he first met Eric. In First Class he's maybe 30. Also, Charles is surprised that Magneto has found some way to block his telepathy but in First Class Charles obviously is aware of what the Helmet is and what it does.
    In X2, Hank McCoy is shown on the television and looks completely normal, but he turned blue and furry in First Class.
    In The Last Stand, Charles and Eric go to see a young Jean Grey together, but they had their falling out in First Class. And Xavier is walking despite being paralyzed in the 60's.
    In X-Men Origins: Wolverine Charles is shown to be able to stand in his cameo at the end, and again he was paralyzed at the end of First Class in the 60's. Also, the "Emma" character who is the sister of Logan's chick is clearly meant to be Emma Frost (same first name and same power), but she's an adult in First class which takes place over a decade earlier.
    And there's a huge difference in the way Mystique is portrayed the original trilogy and First Class.
    Some of the stuff can be explained away if you have knowledge of the comics and/or some imagination. Like maybe Hank uses an "image inducer" to appear normal in certain situations. Maybe Xavier is just a Mental projection at the end of origins, but that's harder to sell for X2 since he's shown conversing with Eric outside the house. Maybe Xavier uses some type of tech to allow his spine to work for periods of time, but it's painful and he doesn't use it often? Something like that. It's a stretch, but you can make up little explanations for some of the stuff if you want. And maybe the relationship between Charles and Eric is complicated throughout the decades where they work together on some occasions and are at odds on others. And it's not too hard to imagine that over 30-40 years, Raven is hardened into a badass fighter and has little love left for Charles.
    The continuity problems come from both of the "prequel films" (though it's really First Class that causes all the problems) and the fact that there really was no overall "big picture" guidance for the X-films and their prequels. I think the fact that most fans think First Class was good and XO: Wolverine was bad leads to people giving FC a pass on these inconsistencies but wanting to erase Origins from their memory.
    The reality is that First Class takes a good deal of liberties with the story that has been established in the trilogy and Origins. If they would have gone for a pure reboot it wouldn't have been a problem. But they seem to have wanted to have it both ways. This was all before FOX wanted to use the Marvel example and have an interconnected "Marvel" Universe of their own and hired Mark Millar as overall consultant. Perhaps the events in Days of Future Past will allow them to do a "STAR TREK" and reboot while keeping the original story intact?

12. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    New international poster. Love the look of this!

13. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    More from Mangold:
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174341-james-mangold-explains-the-wolverines-placement-in-the-x-men-film-universe

14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Wow, sounds like "the feel-good movie of the year!"

15. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
  16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    I like the look of this! image.jpg

17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    image.jpg

18. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    Saw the trailer in front of Iron Man 3. Now, I don't judge movies by their trailers, and I want to see this move (and am a fan of the old comic book series on which it is based) but I have to say: That's one lousy trailer. Completely generic. Gives the audience no clue why this film might be worth seeing.

19. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
  20. Brett_M

Brett_M Screenwriter

Brett Meyer
    Umm...WOW.