THE WIRE - Some questions (S1 spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Holadem, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    I look forward to a full series box set of The Wire, hopefully by the end of this year. This show and these characters were so remarkably rendered by great novelists, it will bear repeated viewing for years to come.

2. David Levine

David Levine Supporting Actor

I'll be shocked if it comes out this year. Season 5 doesn't street until mid August. They won't rush out a complete series so soon.

I'd guess Sopranos gets the nod this year. Then next year we might get The Wire (or maybe Deadwood first).

3. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne

That makes sense. For some reason I thought season 5 was out already (I've seen the newspaper-themed cover). But I'll be happy to go with that Sopranos box set if it comes and wait for The Wire for next year.

4. Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf Stunt Coordinator

Saw it years ago[​IMG] Though it was only recently I made the connection that Aidan was the same guy. (I'd only ever seen him in "Shanghai Knights" other than that.) Though I really don't remember much about that show. (I watched it on Showcase up here in Canada when they first aired it... Man, that was a long time ago.)

I love the way The Wire doesn't even try to be accessible for folk who want to watch a random episode. More TV needs to do that. I mean Babylon 5 was billed as a novel for TV, and JMS did have the entire thing mapped out, but you could watch individual episodes. There may be arc stuff in it, but a newbie could sit down and watch a random episode and still get a whole story.

I think with The Wire, if you don't watch from season 1, episode 1, you're by and large screwed. You can probably pick it up, but you don't get the character development and miss out on a lot.

I am writing this on a laptop that, when I installed XP two weeks ago, I named McNulty[​IMG]

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have watched every season as they were aired on HBO and have always thought it was one of the best series on TV. Now that my fave shows have had their season finales I plan to start re-watching The Wire from the beginning of Season 1. I am really looking forward to watching it again. I have almost forgotten some of the storylines in Season 1.

6. Bonedwarf

Bonedwarf Stunt Coordinator

Despite only seeing S1 for the first time late last year, I'm going to start through again as well. Knowing how the story plays out now will make it even more interesting. There's a particular scene in the series finale that I will enjoy a LOT more second time around knowing it won't lead where I thought it would.

Gonna be weird going all the way back to the beginning and actually KNOWING all the characters names from the start.

BTW, theme music: Loved the gimmick of same song, different artists, but I gotta say I only liked S1 and S5. 2-4 sucked to varying degrees. (Pains me to criticize Tom Waits, but oh well.) In fact I was kinda miffed that the CD they put out of the music DIDN'T have the Steve Earle version on it.

7. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne