What's new

The Wire: Season Five (see post #1 re: SPOILERS) (1 Viewer)

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
Bodie is dead and stays that way. I just really enjoyed the arch of his character over the first 4 seasons. Hopefully we get at least one more "Poot" scene. He always cracks me up.

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
I wasn't very closely but somewhere I saw someting about prequels (one was Omar). I found them at Amazon and YouTube. Interesting little ditties.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I loved the first four seasons.. I'm not sure how this season is going to work out for me, because

(SPOILER)
I've read repeatedly that this season is going to have a Jayson Blair / Newspaper angle about making up the news, etc. Which has almost no interest to me at all.. it just seems at odds with the great landscape of the past few years

But knowing the Wire, they might pull it off and I'd be onboard ;)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So I guess McNulty has completely lost it. What was that all about? I'm not sure how I feel about what happened.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
The following is my own conjecture and so I am not putting it in a spoiler.

I think he is trying to create a new series of murders so he can get the special unit back in operation. Given that this year's season has the Baltimore Sun newspaper involved in the series I imagine someone at the newspaper will start doing an article about these "serial murders".

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
"The bigger the lie, the more they believe it" -- or something like that :). As news junkie who feels the mainstream media is insulated, inept and corrupt to the core, I am loving the newspaper angle. I wonder how long the editor will remain on the right side of journalistic integrity. In this Baltimore, bad things happen to good people all the time.

What happened at the end of ep2 was a whole new level of recklessness, even for McNulty. I can't remember him doing anything that nuts. I wouldn't not be surprised if he were no longer on the force by season's end. Even bunk was freaked out.

--
H

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I just couldn't believe a kid in a wheelchair would want to suffer through an Orioles baseball game.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, though pretty much I'm really displeased with that turn. Basically, McNulty tried to stabilize his life with port chick, and then walla, he's creating crimes. Yes, he's doing it to provide funding in a cash strapped city.. but still, some part of him, the part that in Season 1/2 was arguing for "proper police work" goes totally out the window in that he's constructing a case based by committing fraud so he can keep going after his target.

I think its obvious that the Baltimore Sun will follow along and get into sensationalism (I wonder how the real paper feels about it's name being used this way)... but I definitely know their can't be a happy ending to this :)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I was wondering about this as well, and am surprised the Sun is letting them use their name in the show. Although I guess as they say, "no publicity is bad publicity."

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

from what I've read, the folks at the Sun are ticked off. Although they are laughing it off claiming that this isn't how a real newsroom is run. Simon used to work for them and he's still got a lot of bad blood from his experience.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
So does that mean the show didn't even need the Baltimore Sun's permission to use the name?

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Good to see Avon is still in the game. I think Marlo was just a little surprised to see him in prison.

Also I'm glad they are spending some time on the Bubs storyline - I've always had a soft spot for him.

As far as the media angle to this season I am loving it. I feel for the editor who is trying to do his job correctly and is consistently overuled by the paper's boss.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
I loved all of the references to past seasons that came up in this episode:

McNulty using the last words spoke by Bodie when they met on the park bench last season - "The game is rigged"

Bunk talking about McNulty (and I'll paraphrase) - There he goes caring when it ain't his turn

Avon and Sergei coming back

Freemon reading a magazine about miniature furniture when staking out Marlo

I think there are others, but that's all i can come up with from memory.

Can't wait to watch episode 3 tonight.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Whewww... episode 3 really kicks things into gear for this season. Don't get me wrong, I thought the first 2 episodes were great (come to think of it, I've liked every episode of all 5 seasons) but I've already watced episode 3 twice, and I'll probably watch it again.

I'll be bummed when this show is over.... I guess I'll start saving to buy all the seasons on DVD.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Agreed about ep3. Nothing specific or earth-shattering, just the season building up and pieces getting set. It's all evolving very organically. Very engrossing. That hour goes by fast. I am always disappointed when the credits show up.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks