What's new

THE WIRE season 3 (ongoing thread) (SPOILERS!) (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As further evidence of withdrawal symptoms from this show, I offer the following post:

While The Sopranos get all the love as far as quotes are concerned (it's pretty hard to beat "Revenge is like serving cold cuts."), The Wire has some gems as well:

"If it wasn't for your man Serge here, ya'll-d be some cadaverous motherfuckers.", Prop Joe, Season 2.

Any favorites? :D

--
H

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Too long to quote, but I love the extended conversation between McNulty and Bunk in season 1, ep. 4 ("Old Cases") when they're examining the scene of an old murder (the audience knows, but they don't, that it was one of Avon's former girlfriends). The entire conversation consists of variations on one word, and it's the funniest thing I've ever seen.

Simon talks about the inspiration for the scene in one of his commentaries.

M.

Chad Erickson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad Erickson
Count me in! I saw a very small portion of two shows on tuesday night that were behind the scenes stuff for season 4. In just the short amount of it that i caught, it looks awesome.

Also, don't forgot that if you get "on Demand" that the Season 4 premiere show is going to be available starting Sept. 4th.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wow. Wow wow. Wow. Wow.

(paraphrasing a certain S1 investigation...)

I just finished S3 last night. Some really amazing stuff, already discussed in this thread: Avon and Stringer hugging, 'knowing' that it was the end of the road; Stringer awaiting execution by Omar and Mouzone; McNulty turning down another roll in the hay with the political consultant with the huge rack, sorry eyes; Colvin falling on his sword and looking after his subordinates; McNulty returning to the beat and pursuing Beadie Russell...

McNulty must have taken on board what Santangeli said about being a beat cop, in conjunction with what Freamon said about getting a life: also, note that he was doing what Colvin had said (elsewhere) had been lost -- beat cops talking to and personally knowing the citizens on their post. A very nice touch.

And before that, McNulty pulling off the trick of finding the way -- and the equipment -- to get Stringer's 'private' number, the wire going up, yet with Stringer's execution shortly thereafter it was all for naught. And rubbing Avon's face in it when McNulty brandished the search warrant with Stringer identified as the CI that gave up the safehouse/armoury.

Kima hooking up with a hot young woman -- rather expected, I guess. And another funny touch where McNulty covered for her, as he had no doubt done in the past for Bunk.

Dennis f.k.a. Cutty trying to cobble together donations for his gym was both funny, yet touching -- how an ex-con was trying to go straight, and at the same time do something for the next generation to help keep them out of trouble. What was even funnier was at the end, when one of his initially more recalcitrant trainees had returned to Marlo's crew, he still barked out 'yes coach', all the while with Dennis eyeing the little hoodlum who had ripped him off.

Back to donations -- how Dennis was explaining different levels of contribution to Avon, and when Avon found out the total target was 'only' $10K, just handed over $15K, no strings attached. It tied back I thought to the ep when Dennis decided he couldn't run with the gang any longer, yet Avon had the utmost respect for him (Slim: "he was a man" Avon: "no, he a man today") and let him go find his own way, and followed that up with a generous (to Dennis and the kids) donation to fund the gym, with no recognition required (cf earlier discussion on plaques to the wall to recognise 'gold' donors).

What a show. I'm sorry I'm late to the party (as usual!) but on the up side I don't have to wait long to see it all (I must have run through 3 seasons in 3 weeks). On the other hand, I already know this ends at S5. Sigh.

What a show.

Can't wait to see what Carcetti gets up to in his run for mayor. I've read some comments in other Wire-related threads that suggest S4 is the best -- I can't imagine how this could get any better, and look forward to finding out ASAP.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No love for Omar? :D

In retrospect, I think S4 may have been the best. I think it's when the show evolved beyond the "cop show" to become something greater.

--
H

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
It'd be hard for me to pick a best season, especially since I suffer from first kiss syndrome. The first time you experience something good, subsequent things that are objectively just as good may not measure up, if for no other reason than the novelty begins to wear off.

I really enjoyed when Avon Barksdale was around. Avon is just so much what I know some leaders to be -- reasonably intelligent (but by no means brilliant), charming, creative, and above all else -- dishonest and ruthless. That last element goes a long way towards supplementing any inadequacies in the other areas. Characters like Avon are very different from the soldiers on the street who care little about anything. While Avon probably didn't expect to live to 100, he was a guy who cared about supporting his family and friends. That buys you a lot of loyalty that extends beyond just the ability to make a dollar, or fear of being taken out, and gave Avon something many of his competitors didn't have.

Marlo Stanfield was a compelling character to watch, but watching Avon was like watching Tony Soprano to me in some ways. I sat there kind of rooting for him (because of his charm) and hoping that he didn't run into any situation that'd cause his lack of morality to cause him to do anything that too directly attacked my sensibilities. After all, how can I, a self-described halfway decent person root for a bad guy? The answer is slightly uncomfortable, but the fact that The Wire makes me ask myself the question makes it a success.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can tell you why Marlo is fascinating but less "endearing": He is a sociopath. In many ways, such people are not human (unlike Avon and Soprano, evil as they may be.)

But then again, so is Dexter, and from what I hear, viewers seem to like the guy... :crazy:

--
H

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Dexter has his own moral code: yes he's a serial killer, but he only ever kills people who 'deserve' it, i.e. other criminals, usually killers themselves. I've only seen S1 so far and don't remember him ever killing a 'citizen'. So it's almost like rooting for a vigilante like The Punisher (in comics, not the movies).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Hannibal Lecter was also originally written as a sociopath, killing people for no other reason than they're stupid or crass, and the audience roots for him. Well that's a cop-out. I root for him. As long as it's a movie. I often want to slap some crass or intentionally stupid person upside the back of the head. The irony being, taking such actions would in themselves be crass. Anti-heroes allow a certain vicarious release of uncivilized emotions.

Anyway, one reason Hannibal the movie (and book) didn't work for me is because Lecter is a sociopath. Profile of the Sociopath -- one characteristic is "incapable of love". But Harris made Hannibal out to be a love story (with Clarice). It was the worse pandering. Hannibal as originally written wasn't in love with Clarice, he just found her interesting -- and interesting was the end all to Hannibal Lector. He said it all at the end of The Silence of The Lambs -- the world is a more interesting place with Clarice in it. That's the only reason she wasn't on his bad side. Nothing to do with love.

Anyway, back to Marlo. He was definitely fascinating to watch, but only in a sort of clinical way for me. I might watch a documentary on Nazi human experiments, but only for the information, not enjoyment. Marlo wasn't that bad, but I found myself thinking, "Here's a guy who seems to have no redeeming value whatsoever as a human being."

Still, I'm able to admire good qualities in bad people, so while I was put off by Marlo, I did admire his focus and instinct. He also had a certain amount of vision.

One thing is for sure... The Wire rocks, in all it's incarnations.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
i realize I am in the minority, but I've never liked Lecter as a character (and don't find the films all that great.) Consequently, I never rooted for him.

I have been fascinated by sociopaths in movies and TV ever since I realized what they actually were (most people wrongly think of them as "deranged" or "psychos.") From what I see, films and shows often get it wrong, often trying to explain it away with some childhood trauma or somesuch, which is completely wrong.

One of the articles which turned me onto the subject: At last we know why the Columbine killers did it. - By Dave Cullen - Slate Magazine

One of the best portrayals I have seen comes from an unlikely source: Voldemort in Harry Potter, espcially as explored in book 6. Rowlings must have read up on the subject because she truly nails the type.

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks