What's new

The Windows VISTA Poll (1 Viewer)

PatH

Second Unit
For Ron or anyone would like to answer:

Please tell me what's in each edition or at least where to find out. When I bought my computer in Feb 2006, I planned for this, but I figure the only one I can't handle is the 64-bit, though I have two 32-bit processors. Still not planning on immediate upgrade, though.

PatH

Ron:

In one post you say you're getting Ultimate; in another, Premium. I'm confused.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Pat,

Happy to help...

First, you can compare the various editions across the board
and decide which version is for you by clicking here

The fact I said I was buying PREMIUM was a typo and
has been corrected to ULTIMATE.....

...however, it's a tough decision whether to buy ULTIMATE
over the PREMIUM version. It seems the only extras
that ULTIMATE offers is extra security that most home
and small business users like myself really won't need.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I installed Vista RC2 and ran it for a couple days. That was enough to tell me that I'm going to want to hold off as long as possible. Everything (well, except Nero) ran fine. But I got really sick of my screen going dark until I approved the latest riddiculous warning dialog seemingly every time I did something. In the balance between security and ease of use, ease of use got its ass kicked.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not sure what your settings in Vista were, but I've been running Vista for months now and don't ever get those warning dialogs.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
No thanks to Vista. XP for me it is. It does what I need, works fine on what I have, and I don't have to worry about any new MS stupidity since I got it to run how I want it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know someone who has the final release of Vista, toyed
around with it and removed it.

Seems the problem is pretty much the same as I experienced
with the RC2 version....

Many XP programs will not work under the new operating system.
This includes major software such as Nero.

Now, certainly, many of these companies have another 6 weeks
to update their programs and/or offer patches. Whether that will
happen or not by release date is yet to be seen.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The only piece of software that I use that I couldn't get intstalled that bothers me is Zone Alarm. So I'm using Vista's Firewall and I'm not real thrilled about that because I really, really like Zone Alarm. But they are working on a Vista compatible version. AVG antivirus also wouldn't install, but Avast! does, and frankly, after using Avast! I like it better than AVG, so no big deal.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I would suspect that in the next month ALL the antivirus
companies will have readied Vista compatible software.

None of those companies want to risk their customers
switching over to another product just because they don't
offer a Vista ready version.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

I think on the day that Windows Vista consumer versions are finally released (30 January 2007) we'll see new Vista-compatible versions of all the utility and security software out there. This is actually a good idea, since Windows Vista works differently than Windows XP in terms of handling programs.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm running Vista RC2 and I should be getting the "final" release of Ultimate from Intel soon. Got to love vendor promotions! For people that have problems with NERO, make sure you are 7.5.9.0. Mine is fine over here.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Oh, so finally, there is a compatible version of Nero available
to run on Vista? That's good news!

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
I will not allow Vista to be installed on any of my current machines -- and I am not the least bit sorry about it. However, I may purchase a future computer with Vista preinstalled. Far more likely is that I switch to Mac OS with my next computer purchase. Time will tell, but Microsoft has all but lost me as a customer at this point.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm building a new computer this year & I'll buy the "Ultimate" version. BUT, I'll be buying thru the Big 10 university I work for so I'll be paying approximately $60.00 for the software. And I won't be buying until about the May to July time period. :laugh:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Vista's release is less than ONE week away!

I did something interesting. I bought a Mac Pro.

I absolutely love it!

I have ordered Vista Business as it is the least expensive
version that allows me to run VISTA under Parallels, a
virtual program that runs under Mac OS X.

Can't wait to get this!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll be running XP until the software I use requires something else.

- Steve

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Now I'm reading on New Egg that the DRM situation is hyped up, from people who have bought Windows Vista.

I just don't know who to believe anymore, and quite frankly I just don't care. After HD DVD and Blue-Ray are gone and buried by whatever new format is up and coming, I'm done with Hollycrap :). It can't get any better than 1080P HDTV as far as I'm concerned :). I'll just buy a couple of combo players in case one breaks in the next 50 years and call it quits :).

Has Hollywood ever provided any proof that Pirates really cut into their bottom margin? DVD's sell into the 10's of millions of dollars, and box office cuts still buy back the cost it took to make the movie ....

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We received our volume alotment of Vista yesterday. Here's my thoughts:

(1) There is one monumental difference from what was promised in Vista Tech Tour, 10/2006, which is that you now have to buy specific 32bit and 64bit versions. I view this VERY negatively.

(2) They have instituted an interesting option: all versions are on every disc. So, you buy Vista Basic, decide you want to upgrade.. go to their website, pay the difference, insert new key, functions turn on, and so on. That's a nice touch.

(3) SLI support is virtually non-existant. That is to say: it doesn't work right. In fact, a lot of cutting edge drivers are still a bit in flux.

(4) AMD's taken a pounding recently. But Vista 64-bit and it's NUMA memory management really whip up for AMD, especially quad (4x4) boards. The one thing Intel is still wrong about in the Core2 is that the memory controller is still external to the CPU. But because of the way XP managed it, it didn't mean a lot, Core2's brute force paid big dividends. In Vista 64, AMD finally sees some payoff, especially in dual-processor boards (quad processing) where each processor has it's own memory bank. Performance for apps that can use it takes a very nice benefit.

(5) Since each disc contains all versions, I stick by my logic that Vista Premium is the best buy. If at some point later you decide you need Ultimate, you can go to the website and buy an upgrade key.. and away you go.

(6) The install is also different from the previous RCs in that some functions have really been streamlined, especially the upgrade procedure which is now, by far, MS's best.

(7) The sound scheme sucks.

(8) Best bets: Get this, a dual core chip, a DirectX 10 card (8800GTS/GTX) and be prepared for some really cool demos that will be downloadable 1/30.

(9) If you're dead set on Vista, get it pre-installed. OEM pre-installs have one big benefit over the coupon, which is that you put the onus on the OEM to make sure all the drivers are right and OEM's new pre-installation kit gives us the ability to install new "widgets" which will be made available to download... much later. But if you're OK with XP, then wait: it's the best bang, you get valid licenses for both and you have the option to go back easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks