What's new

The wife said Yes ... (longish) (1 Viewer)

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm single :frowning:
But you can count on me not having a serious relationship without the girl understanding that my theater comes.... really close second!!!

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a wife that is very supportive,

We just bought our first home about a year ago, and knowing that I was going to build a dedicated home theater, she was all for it. Never quibbled, never complained at all. I bought my first SVS sub from a very nice gentleman about 2hrs away from me, and she even went with me to pick it up. Since then, she has bought me a second SVS to pair with my original for my birthday.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Mine: "Why are you spending all this money on audio equipment?" "Why are all the boxes so big?"

A week later, after watching various movies carefully selected to demonstrate the equipment's capabilities: "Hey, this is pretty cool!"

Haven't heard much since.

Daniel Hawl

Agent
well, my girlfriend lives with me, and we are basically married thanks to our daughter and shared expenses. She likes HT as much as I do, and even pushed me to buy the Reference line of Klipsch over a much cheaper synergy based setup.
Also, when I decided that we should just opt for a 50" hdtv she pushed me to get the 57"....
So some of us are in good shape at home :)

TomWinRichmond

Auditioning
My wife is awesome... she helped with the construction
of the basement. I've got the home theater, my office,
pool table room... and the whole house wired with Cat5e
and RG6 all over the place. I told her she could do
anything she wanted upstairs, as long as I could take
care of the downstairs... so it's working out well.

I sealed the deal when I bought her some of her favorite
titles on SACD, and brought her down there to listen to
them. She's absolutely hooked, and wants me to upgrade
our upstairs DVD player to a universal as well.

I guess it's all about compromise in the end, but if
you don't mind doing some of the work, trade a new
kitchen and bathroom for being able to have some
space of your own, it's worth it.

--
Tom

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
My SO doesn't like the fact that the speakers are 5' out into the room or the single chair in the sweet spot instead of a Couch or loveseat. But if she doesn't like, she can leave. :)
She doesn't say anything about spending money anymore because when I bought my Cary CD player from a local guy, I went over to his place and gave him $1800 on Thursday (alone). When me and the wife came back over on Saturday and I paid him $1100 "she freaked". OMG! A Thousand Dollar CD Player. aaahhhHHH! But when I sold it on eBay for $2680 three weeks later, she stopped asking me about equipment costs altogether. Same thing with my $2200 amp (that cost $4600) and sold for $4200. She thinks I'm a hero. Now I do what I want, when I want with no questions asked. She knows I'm only looking for the good deal and thinks I wont lose any money in the constant equipment changes. See what can happen when you build trust into a relationship
:D

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have a friend whose wife is 10 years his senior and he just recently bought a 48" Mits TV. After coming over to my house and watching LOTR:Two Towers on my HT he got the HT bug and started shopping for a mid price setup. One recent Sunday PM after the football games he asked me to go with him to pick one up at BB. He came home with a $400.00 Onkyo HTiB (against my advice, I told him to get separates), and when we got back to his house, his wife gave me a look that said "I should kill you for this." We set it up and popped in the "Gladiator" disc and from the minute the movie started his wife was complaining about how loud it was. My friend had a grin on his face from ear to ear and this actually annoyed his wife. After turning it down a tiny bit, she kept saying how she could not hear any difference in the sound from the HT than from just the TV speakers. I really couldn't stand it anymore and went home where upon my wife presented me with a new "The Hunted" DVD. We popped it in the player and I was so happy when my wife asked me to turn up the volume on the receiver and to boost the bass on the sub a bit. I feel really bad for my friend, but am really glad my wife is into HT as much as me. :)

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
My wife helped build the room. PLUS she has said more than once that the Panny L300 we bought is the best thing we could have done for the room. She stood by silent as I added a 15 inch sub, 2 10's and 2 additional amps to drive the front and rears...
She is damn good looking too......
Link Removed

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
After 2 years, my dedicated home theater room was completed about a week ago. FINALLY put my ht together that's been spinnin' it's wheels upstairs in a spare room.
My girlfriend knows how much I'm into ht and videogaming so, she pretty much doesn't say a word about what I do with my ht.
I've always told her my addiction could be asian prostitutes and Wild Turkey.
That puts it in perspective for her! ;)
About the only remark I ever got out of her was when the SVS16-46pc showed up 2 1/2 years ago.
I stuck it in the corner while she was at work and had it all set up when she came home. While she was telling me about her day, mid sentence she says, "WHAT IS THAT"?!!? I casually told her it was always there. She just didn't see it. A moment of silence and she said "...your ass"!!!!
But, that was about it. Never heard a complaint about it again. :)
...I wonder what she's going to say when the new 16-46pc+ I just ordered an hour ago, to keep the original SVS company, shows up? :laugh: My fingers are crossed that 2 of those monsters will really put out some spl's!!!!

Tim Hess

Second Unit
When my wife and I were dating, I came packaged as a Home Theatre 2.0 owner ;)
She was used to a 27" Fisher Tube, a decent yet aging JVC receiver hooked up to some ancient Bose speakers with a first gen DVD player (and VCR), no sub. This was her mothers gear left behind when she moved (her mom has above average taste in most things, audio/video gear included, she's a woodworker, so knows the value of 'good tools').
We move in together as GF/BF knowing we are going to get married. I set up my Klisch RF3 Series, ditch her old TV for my 32" TAU and off we go.
Then we move! Time for a new TV/Progressive DVD player! She comes with me and shops.
We Move! Time for an SVS as we are not attached to another unit.
Keep in mind that none of these purchases were 'joint funded. Then I buy the ring ;)
Guess what? Time to move AGAIN! First thing she asks me is what are we getting! Why a new TV of course!
She is of the 'I can't tell a difference' group, she is learning. She can see the difference between SD, DVD, etc., and Stereo/5.1. But as most woman, they can live without it! Just like we can live with out Diamonds ;)
Though I am sure she came away with more after watching the Lion King the other night than she would have if she watched it on her 'old' setup.
She's wonderful, wouldn't trade her for the world.

Paul Sawyer

Auditioning
My wife was a little hesitant to spend big $ on a HT. She wanted a MITS from HH Gregg(like a Best Buy) and that would have been fine.
I took the wheel, bought a Pioneer Elite PRO730, Elite VSX45TX reciever, Elite DVD plaver(45), and Polk RC65i in walls(7.1- well 6.1, 7 speakers;) ) and a Polk 12" sub.
She loves it! She better for 10K+ in components, speakers, cables, TV, new entertainment center and L shaped sofa.
Now she hogs the HT on Wednesdays(Bachelor is on :frowning: )
I have link on my profile with out HT pic.

My Fiance rocks. :emoji_thumbsup:
We are moving to NYC in a year for career reasons.
I told her we could just sell my Pioneer 50" and make do with whatever for a year since we're only going to be there for a year. She was like no way! I love that TV! It will fit!
Now she wants subwoofers in her Civic too!
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks