What's new

The Who: Tommy Coming to Super Audio! (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
But the question for you, Rich, is how do the highs, in particular the cymbals, sound?

Any part of this release that has frequent crash cymbal work is pretty damn close to unlistenable to me. And thats true of all three formats on the disc.

I can live with stuff thats bright, or rolled off, but the cymbals on this disc just sound f*cked up, to use an audiophile term that I am sure will be familiar to most members:D

BGL

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I must have screwed up ears or something.

I think this disc along with "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" sound far better than say "DSOTM".

All that hype surrounding "DSOTM" and to me it was just a bit of a let down.

But, "Tommy" in 5.1 & "GYBR" are outstanding M/C releases in my opinion. A big :emoji_thumbsup:

Maybe it's my system?

Bring on some more!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I think the cymbals reflect the original recording, not the delivered format.
Someone over at Hoffman's posted that opinion as well based on having heard various version of Tommy going back to '69.

And just to be clear, I am in no way, shape, or form trying to blame this on the format.

IMHO, its either in the source, or somehow got hosed in mastering as was the case with the Deluxe Leeds (or at least thats what the prevailing opinion would have one think).

BGL

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Brian,

I did sit down with part of the SACD stereo vers of Tommy again. After about 25%+ of the album, I do agree that there are a number of places where the cymbals are generally "deficient". It seems like they are often muted, almost hidden away, and some of these times they sound sickly (if I can put this into words, I get the aural image of tape distortion). I have a hard time believing it's format-related, and have a much easier time believing it's in the source. Maybe there was the intent to leave original flaws in the recording but at the same time to try to downplay them somewhat. FWIW, it still didn't bother me that much wrt enjoying the album; maybe my expectations with 30+ year old material and the quality of my previous version lead me down this path.

I've only heard the stereo SACD version twice now (and not completely the 2nd time), and each time was with a different player. The second time I'd characterize the player as warmer than the first one. Seems that more listening is in order with both players, as I'm very curious now. Maybe I'll even play my 80's CD version. As for other instruments, I'm all over the guitars and bass, and I was riveted with my first listen of Underture; constant bass, massive room pressurization.

Doug

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
One interesting thing if you read the liner notes, there was actually supposed to be more electric guitar in Tommy, but they ran out of time...

Dan B

Screenwriter
Here's an article with a response to criticism of the bass & drum sound by Rocky Mountain News from Pete Townshend. Also mentioned is that he hopes to complete a surround mix of Quadrophenia, but can not do the same with Who's Next until the some missing master reels are recovered.

Rocky Mountain News Article

Quadrophenia was well-recorded & was created with surround in mind. I am very much looking forward to the high-res surround mix on that one.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I just picked this SACD up and I think it is fantastic!! One of the best SACD's I have. The Underture (track 10) is awesome. Pinball Wizard rocked. Dunno what else to say to those of you who didn't like it. I am using 5 Klipsch Cornwall (Front Left/Right are tube powered) 3 SVS system for a total of 5 15" woofers and 3 12" woofers if it makes a difference :). There was no bass lacking for me :)

I mean I really felt like they were playing right in fromt of me. I have only listened to the MC mix disc 1 so far.

Laters,
Jeff

KrisM

Second Unit
Interesting article Dan. The only problem I had with it was the part about listening to Tommy with the bass boosted. It is just not possible on my system with out converting the signal back to digital in my receiver, which defeats the purpose of SACD. And if the bass should be boosted, then why not in the mix?
The surround mix of Quadrophenia sounds interesting. The thought of the four themes coming from four corners of the room kind of scares me though. I don't think I'll be selling my Mofi version.

Regards
KrisM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks