The Who Live At Leeds MFSL CD vs. Remastered 2 cd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Has anyone compared the new remastered Live At Leeds with the MFSL version?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Robert, I haven't done the comparison, as I don't have either version. However, I would be curious to hear what people would decide upon doing the comparison. Just this morning, I compared the A&M remastered CD of Supertramp Breakfast in America to the MFSL gold CD and preferred the A&M remastered CD. If you are interested, the review is contained here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=78797

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

All I know is that the remaster seems to be reviled. You might try looking around on the forums at Steve Hoffman's website:
    www.stevehoffman.tv/forums

4. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Check out White Fang's Who site for comparisons of Who related albums. He's got comparisons of more than 20 different releases of Live at Leeds.
    http://www.thewho.net/fang
    The Deluxe 2 CD version is crap. The '95 remaster is my favorite. I haven't heard the MFSL version, but based on their other Who releases, I wouldn't expect any improvements.
    Buy the Deluxe 2 CD edition for the Tommy Disc only. The other songs sound much better on ANY of the other versions. Some prefer the original running order (& fewer songs) of the original release.
    -Dan B.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

The MFSL version and the '95 remaster are for all intents and purposes identical. The '01 2-disc "Deluxe" version is a step down in quality, as the whole thing was remastered by Jon "No-Noise" Astley.

The '95 edition is my favorite. I always felt like the original six-song version was just too short, and can't imagine doing without the great performances of "Fortune Teller/Tattoo," "Amazing Journey/Sparks" and others.

The Deluxe version would be great if it didn't sound like it was recorded in a metal tube.

Ryan

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i have just about every version of this record on cd and lp(not including the versions from all the different countries). i guess i'll have to do a comparison myself.

i haven't compared the 2 latest versions at home yet i only listened to the 2 cd version in the car.

the only one i dont have is the mfsl version, which i am guessing is a mobile fidelity version. i didnt even know one existed. and i should be punished for not knowing that.

i even have the 4 cd version of lifehouse pete was selling on his web site.

i drew the line at the maher baba tribute music though.

8. Ryan Spaight

Oh, wow, I'm in a .sig file.

Thanks, Tony. I'm honored.

Ryan

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    IMHO, the original is the Live at Leeds I grew up with - cracks and pops included. The expanded and remixed 1995 release (which I believe is what is on the MFSL) is an OK sounding clean-up of the same with a different mix approach and some 25 years later overdubs on some of the added tracks.

The expanded "Deluxe" edition with the separate Tommy disc has a few more overdubs and edits on the added tracks to hide goofs, is out of sequence so that Tommy can fit all on one disc (but adds a lot of amusing between-song chatter with the extra space), and falls short of complete by omitting a somewhat awkward version of "Spoonful" that was segued into directly from "Shakin' All Over". These are all forgiveable. The mastering job is not. No-noise-a-palooza. Yuck.

Regards,

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

The single disc with bonus tracks sounds fine, but the 2-CD set sucks big time. It proves how deaf Pete Townsend has become. Only someone with severe tinitis would think it sounds good.

11. Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne Supporting Actor

The '95 remaster sounds great to my ears (blew me away when I first heard the remastered SHAKIN' ALL OVER through headphones) but I've heard too many bad things about the current 2-CD extended set. Funnily enough there are a number of websites that claim to sell boots of the same material with better sound quality, more song chatter etc... I'll have to grab that 4-CD LIFEHOUSE set someday.

12. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Didn't the MFSL use the same digital files as the redbook aluminum disc of the 1995 remix/remaster?

Regards,

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

15. Ryan Spaight

16. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

I bought the 2 disc deluxe version before reading this thread, but I have to say I'm pretty happy with it. Sounds great to my ears, but I've got nothing to compare it to.

17. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Indeed! [​IMG]
    I had the '95 master that I *combined* with the somewhat available boot of "Live Tommy at the Leeds," but then I jumped right to the 2 disc master.
    Luckily, I kept the boot. I'll have to go back and compare now myself.
    One question: I thought that Pete's guitar was mixed lower in the '95 version (as compared to the original), but that they brought it back somewhat in the newer 2-disc version. That's why I really didn't like the '95 version.
    Anyone ever compare the Midas Touch (MD 61500) boot of Tommy vs the remastered 2 disc version? I have both, but haven't yet... [​IMG]

18. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

19. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

What? Chinese Eyes was remixed? Why? Does the original sound better? Are there any bonus tracks on the new version that are any good?