What's new

"The Walking Dead" - Frank Darabont, AMC (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I suppose that if I'm going to snatch them up I should hurry as I'm sure this show will boost sales if it's a hit and the comics will be harder to find.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Nah, you'll be okay. The trade paperbacks are continuously in print and don't increase in value. Now, if you like it enough that you want to buy the original monthly issues, you'll already pay a hefty sum. The first issue was about $150 when I last looked about two years ago--before the show was even in development! But, since you are not a comic reader, if you do happen to like what you read, I would recommend just sticking with the trades. Amazon has them all for $10 apiece.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by TravisR

The Walking Dead might be your one exception. Outside of the orignal Night Of The Living Dead and the original Dawn Of The Dead, it's the best zombie material that I've ever read or seen.

If you liked the graphic novels, I might also strongly recommend picking up the novel World War Z, if you haven't already -- an extremely serious, yet engrossing, look at the collapse of human civilization during a zombie holocaust, told from the point of view of a data-gathering journalist working for the United Nations.

It was a New York Times bestseller, and with good reason -- once you pick it up, you won't be able to put it down again until the very last page. Helluva book.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg_S_H

The first issue was about $150 when I last looked about two years ago

I just took a look on eBay and the first issue goes for between $200 to $300. You know more about comics than me but is there any other modern series where the single issues actually have that kind of value? Obviously, the show has boosted interest in and the price of the comics but I figured that the availability of trades had killed off the back issue market for modern comics.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Kirkman's Invincible goes for similar prices, and that'll explode when and if the movie ever gets made. Both Invincible and The Walking Dead had a typical print run for an indendent comic by a then-unknown--namely, a low one. You're right that it's weird that people would pay those prices when the stories are easily available in cheap trades, but never underestimate the collector mentality! I own a full run of TWD and Invincible, but I saw the handwriting on the wall when Kirkman's Marvel Zombies was in the $50 range and I got the back issues relatively cheaply.

Chew, Locke & Key, Kick-Ass and Y: The Last Man are books that have spiked in price, but I believe they have all settled down a bit. I just saw someone selling Y 1-60 for $200, which is not even that far off from cover. These stories are all readily available in trade, and I think when those of us stuck in the old comic mentality fade away, the only books with any real value will be the hundreds of gold and silver age issues that just can't be easily reprinted.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
FUCK ME, dudes:

Amazing unofficial credits, made by someone who is clearly an evil genius. I would love it if AMC used these. Beyond awesome.

(Tony Moore, the comic book artist, actually posted in the comments section. Pretty neat.)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
If that opening sequence is indeed used by AMC, you have your Emmy win for titles right there.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My guide doesn't have it yet. My software was updated a few months back and all the problems that had plagued me are gone (not a missed recording since), but it doesn't get data as far into the future as it did. I wonder if the premiere will be commercial free.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
HATE comics...HATE zombies...but that trailer KICKED ASS. Plus, loved Shawshank and Green Mile...so I'll at least give this a chance.

(Don't know what all the fuss is about with those opening titles, but I guess it's over my head.)

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I'm getting even more excited as it gets closer to the showing. A local theater here is having a viewing party (free admission) and popcorn that night. I am stoked!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottH

(Don't know what all the fuss is about with those opening titles, but I guess it's over my head.)

It's amazing as a fan-made opening and as a fan of the comic, I found it to be a really cool to see the book 'come alive' but I don't really get the love that the whole internet showered on it either. Especially since the song that was used was completely wrong for the tone of series (assuming it stays even remotely close to the tone of the comic book).

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
In case anyone like me, who does not get AMC in HD, and Uses Itunes, Itunes is offering a HD Season pass for $15.99

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
there is a torrent floating around the net already. I've decided to wait and see it at a local indy theater that is having a viewing party the night it premieres. I am excited but I want to enjoy it the night it airs!

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I wonder if a theater here in Atlanta is showing the premiere. You would think so since it was set and filmed here.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The closer we get to the premiere the more excited I'm getting, it's been a long time since I've felt such anticipation for a TV show!

I hope George Romero sees it, takes notes and remembers that this is how you do zombies, he's lost his edge, his last two fucking sucked.

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
This show is going to be amazing. I'm excited that people who don't read comics are finally going to be able to experience the awesomeness that is The Walking Dead. You're all in for a treat. Is Halloween yet? No? God damn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks