The Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by joshEH, Dec 9, 2013.

1. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    First trailer is now out:

So which act does Sean Bean die in? I'm gonna say second.

This is basically what Iain M. Banks' Culture books look like in my head, and I love those books. The story also looks kind of like a "Special Circumstances" first contact-kind of thing.

This one did its job -- the world-building on display is impressive, the story seems intriguing for a science-fiction concept, the visuals kick ass, and Giacchino's score sounds dope.

Between this and Cloud Atlas, the Wachowskis continuing to get back to their sci-fi roots is more than enough to get me excited.

gruagach likes this.
  2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Can't say I'm cray about the 2 main leads in this particular project, though. Did like the production values in the trailer.

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

You had me at Iain Banks' Culture. I'm a huge fan of those works and the universe Banks created. About the only thing missing were sentient drones & A.I. ships. (Who knows they may be there as well, but not in the trailer.) Definitely looks like a "Special Circumstances" type of storyline. Looks awesome.

- Walter.

joshEH likes this.
  4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Meh.

5. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Cinematographer
    Supporter

Luis
    Warner must really love these Wachowski dudes since they've greenlit what looks like another pet project that won't make tons of cash. The original Matrix must still be paying off.

andySu likes this.
  6. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    I won't complain about the Wachowski siblings getting some money for their movies. I'll consider it a tax on all of the crap that gets made with bigger budgets and smaller ideas.

andySu and joshEH like this.
  7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also, during the film, Mila Kunis needs to undergo a single pregnancy lasting 40 or 50 years.

That trailer makes the movie's world look more rich and interestingly-fantastical than a lot of other major SF movies. It's not the visual aesthetic alone, it's the weirdness and the way it seems to imply a unique narrative.

Of course, it could all be smoke-and-mirrors, but the Wachowskis have always displayed an actual interest in SF ideas, as opposed to just shiny things exploding, so it seems perfectly reasonable to be optimistic.

(Granted, I'm the guy who thinks the Matrix sequels are more worthwhile than the average blockbuster, and that everyone else on Earth is insane and trying to steal my magic bag, so.)

8. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    If you go back to the HTF Matrix threads, you'll see plenty of love for them here. And plenty of discussion.

9. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    New trailer and two new character posters officially released:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This just went from weird to delightfully weird. I'm into this.

The unabashed space-operatic quality of it is awfully appealing. And despite the well-worn basic outline, this is the Wachowskis we're talking about, so I have no doubt that there'll be enough interesting and imaginative details to keep it engaging.

(Not sure about the posters, though. The Mila-one looks like it could be the cover of a YA novel for 9-year-old girls. "Fiona Flanellia and the Golden Compass Things of Fate's Heart's Desire.")

10. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also...y'know, if Sean Bean's character lives through this movie, that would make an awesome tag-line: "Come See The Film Where Sean Bean LIVES."

(People would want to see it then, right?)

Aaron Silverman likes this.
  11. Chuck Anstey

Chuck Anstey Screenwriter

Chuck Anstey
    I would.

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

This thing looks seriously bad ass on the visual side of things. I'll be at the theatre to see this for sure. They might not succeed all the time when it comes to the writing but the Wachowskis at least try to make their SF different from the typical Hollywood fare.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yep. I don't even like most of their movies but I will always give the Wachowskis credit for trying to do something different.

14. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    I saw an ad on TV yesterday for a new series starring Sean Bean. My first thought was "oh nice, he won't get killed off in that!"

Yeah yeah, I know. . . :wacko: :D

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

The release date has been moved to February 6.

16. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis are the deal-breakers for me. If this was a rom-com dance musical I might not mind because I'd skip it as a matter of course. But for a project like this, you need actors with gravitas and real presence, which those two don't have. At least as far as I've been able to see.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Channing Tatum won me over in 21 Jump Street but he proved to me that he could act in the pair of Steven Soderbergh movies that he did. Mila Kunis is good in Black Swan and... and... well, at least she's really hot.

18. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    That's strange, I saw the trailer for this yesterday before seeing Maleficent.

19. Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs Ambassador

Brian Dobbs
  20. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    One the one hand, a studio moving a big picture from July to Februray is not a good sign of confidence in the film. It throws up a pretty big warning flag. But on the other hand, if it wasn't going to be ready it's nice to see a release being pushed back and not rushing it to screens just to meet an arbitrary release date. Still, a move to December would have shown studio confidence. Moving to February? Not so much.