What's new

The Voice Season 5 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Premiered tonight. We haven't had a thread for the Voice really before, but considering it's ratings are higher then AI and definitely higher then X-Factor, I figure it deserves a mention.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I sort of hate how mentors are faking all of their sincerity to get the contestants to pick them to be on their team.

I didn't like the last contestant that was gushed over by all the mentors. WTF?

So far, nothing too amazing yet in the blind audition rounds, which are my favorite sections of the show, as the battle rounds, and later the voting rounds always lose steam for me.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The blind auditions are always the best part. It does lose steam as it goes, but I think what makes the blind auditions work is you get the feeling everyone will be at minimum decent, ie, no horror shows.

I also didn't like the last act..

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
McPaul said:
Kaley cuoco was on the voice this week.She is not nearly as attractive in real life.
Without all the fancy lights, makeup, etc. that takes hours and a group of people to work on them, MOST Hollywood people are very plain looking. If you see anyone of them in person, be it male or female, you may be shocked. In fact, if you compare them from real life to film, you may walk right pass or say a few words without even knowing.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
True that. I personally prefer women without any makeup, or as little as possible, but when professionally done, it certainly made a noticeable difference.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Jeffery_H said:
Without all the fancy lights, makeup, etc. that takes hours and a group of people to work on them, MOST Hollywood people are very plain looking. If you see anyone of them in person, be it male or female, you may be shocked. In fact, if you compare them from real life to film, you may walk right pass or say a few words without even knowing.
This isn't always true . I met James Gandolfini once; looked exactly as I expected. Or, if you want to go the other way, I met Danica McKellar (Winnie Cooper) .. WAY WAY hotter in person. I mean, sickeningly so.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I enjoy the blind audition portion the best, too. Last year, the judges' reaction to Kris Allen and "Saving All My Love for You" was great -- hard to top that kind of surprise.

Like every year, I'm hoping a male rocker makes it.

There are always 1 or 2 that puzzle me, like the enthusiasm for R. Anthony, who didn't seem that outstanding to me. I was rooting for Jason Kertson, but nobody turned -- hopefully he tries again.

It's interesting how Cee-Lo always has someone who was a solo turn. I really don't think he "sells" himself very well to the singers (and though humorous and not over the line, is a bit inappropriate with the women at times).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
No one yet in the blind auditions has really grabbed my attention so far (but granted, I've mainly been listening to the audition on the HDTV set while staring at my PC monitor post-processing photos).

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Is it just me or does it seem like this season they are trying just a little "too hard" when praising the contestants? Its like the producers asked that they ramp it up a bit and are kind of over doing it. Now that the blind auditions are done though maybe they'll tone it back down.

Oh, and Adam seems to be on the attack this season. To me he's coming off as almost snarky in over half of his conversations especially with Blake.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Nothing at all is memorable for me. Too many music talent shows diluting the talent? Think I'm done with this for the season. Will record tomorrow for curiosity sake but will probably delete the show and the series mid way through.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I think the problem with so many music shows is you are getting a lot of generic talent. People you could see singing at a wedding, but not that standout "holy cow" kind of moment.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, still not feeling most of these contestants, but I did like Grey, who looked a little like Lucy Lawless to me.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
spshultz said:
Is it just me or does it seem like this season they are trying just a little "too hard" when praising the contestants?
I've been suffering from reality show singing competition burnout for the past couple of years so I haven't watched any of them in a while. Within the past couple of weeks my wife was watching one of them, not sure if it was The Voice or X Factor. The performer did a Whitney Houston track which was good enough to win a free drink on karaoke night but wasn't in the same ballpark as the original. The judges were unanimous in their over the top praise for the performance.

I guess it wouldn't make for a very good show if they openly admitted that there is no talent to be found on today's episode, but phony praise is no more entertaining.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
6 minutes. It took 6 minutes for me to stop, delete and cancel this series from my pvr. A best of after 5 episodes?Also the battlegrounds are next week right? Teams are cut in half? I think Adam told everyone on his team they could win this season. Blake too. There are going to be a lot of upset people thinking they could win but get knocked out early.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
McPaul said:
6 minutes. It took 6 minutes for me to stop, delete and cancel this series from my pvr. A best of after 5 episodes?Also the battlegrounds are next week right? Teams are cut in half? I think Adam told everyone on his team they could win this season. Blake too. There are going to be a lot of upset people thinking they could win but get knocked out early.
Apparently you've not seen seasons 1-4.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Bits and pieces. Most of the auditions and hardly anything after that. But that doesn't make it any less bad. Also, the only thing blind about this is before the button press. After they turn around they can still not press as hard for the singer and let cee lo take them. I find he is always slow to decide and wants to know what the other judges think first.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You definitely have not seen seasons 2-3 then.

Ceelo has had the best success so far with his found talent.

Javiar Colon. Where did he go?
Jermaine. Where did he go?
Cassadee. Well, the jury is still out.
Bradberry. Possibly.

There are the winners.

Christina has done nothing with any of her contestants post show.
Adam has done nothing with his.

The jury is out if Blake can pull something with Cassadee and Bradberry.

Ceelo has had hits with 3 of his. (mainly Vicci)

Ceelo's contestants have a commanding lead in iTunes downloads(still in the lead after taking a year off)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chris Mann might be the most successful from Team Christina, but not saying much. :D

I didn't really like either Javier or Jermaine, just never perceived either of them to have much charisma to take it to the next level for stardom for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks