What's new

The Virginian (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian#post_3647915
I also expect that when these sets arrive at Sam's Club, the price will be considerably less.
For example, Timeless lists Wagon Train S1 for $79.98. Sam's sold it for $39.88. Also, the two Tales of Wells Fargo sets have the same number of DVDs and the same price as The Virginian -- $69.98. Sam's sells those for $29.97.
Ethan,
Those were my thoughts as well initially, but as I quoted above from Tim the Timeless prices do tend to get pretty heavily discounted later. For example, Amazon had Wagon Train Season 1 on preorder during the period of time it was exclusive to Sam's Club for around $72 with a list price of $80, and now that it is available by them (Amazon) it has been reduced to $47. So I wouldn't put much stock in the early Amazon pricing of this. I'm hoping Tim is right and it ends up around $30 for each half of season 1 shortly after release.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, we shortly discussed that before, a few posts ago. We're hoping the price will come down alright.
But some of us really want to give the proper signal at the moment (I am).

Cees

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker

kemcha

Second Unit
Real Name
Jaref
TV Shows on DVD have announced the first season release:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Virginian-Season-1/13245

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Since this release is coming up, I watched an episode of The Virginian I recorded off of my local RTN affiliate.
My interest in this just kicked up a notch. From what I saw, the show was a very well-written drama.
What confused me though is that the episode timed out around 65 minutes. Shouldn't it be closer to 75 minutes? Did The Virginian have a pre-credits sequence that's being lopped off of these prints?

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
They probably hacked off ten minutes of show so they could place more Commercials in it./img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif

Originally Posted by Tim Tucker /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/30#post_3653262
Since this release is coming up, I watched an episode of The Virginian I recorded off of my local RTN affiliate.
My interest in this just kicked up a notch. From what I saw, the show was a very well-written drama.
What confused me though is that the episode timed out around 65 minutes. Shouldn't it be closer to 75 minutes? Did The Virginian have a pre-credits sequence that's being lopped off of these prints?
It should be 75 minutes. That is the length of the program on Encore Westerns which is currently broadcasting it.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
But does the program have a pre-credit sequence? Because, despite the running time, I didn't notice any gaps in the story.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Tim, no there is no pre-credit sequence. It is likely that the episode was time-sped and possibly trimmed.

mark78

Agent
Real Name
Mark
Now they must have changed plans to release the half season sets. They are going to release a full season 10 disc collection in a collector's tin ala Wagon Train. This idea is okay except for the fact that the Wagon Train set had a cardboard holder for the dvd's which made scratches/damage very likely. They are very hard to remove from the holder. I presume they are planning the same holder this time.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Virginian-Season-1/13289
I contacted Timeless Media to say I won't buy if they use the same cardboard holder they used with Wagon Train and urge other interested parties to do the same. Here is their email address
[email protected]

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Bummer about the change in design. When I received my Wagon Train set I immediately removed all the disks, put then in standard sized DVD cases that hold 4 disks a piece, and created new cover art. The nice tin and cardboard artwork went directly into storage.

I just don't understand the need for trying to over specialize the packaging when disk protection is put at risk. Take the nice cover art, put it on standard cases that protect the disks and wrap it in a nice sturdy box.

BTW, my email has been sent.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Given the shape of the tin, it's just as likely to get double thinpaks as a cardboard holder. Still, I hope they don't go the board book route again.

What I find more disturbing is that instead of two 6 DVD sets, this new set is a 10 DVD set. However, given that the first season had 30 episodes, a 10 disc set with three episodes a DVD would be appropriate.

But I wonder what would have been on those extra two DVDs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, Amazon made me re-order as well. The price is better too, of course.

I don't think (but without any proof) that the content has changed. They must have been monitoring the pre-orders and decided that is is a feasible release.

I second (or third) that hope for the absence of a cardboard holder. As someone living overseas, they will not get impressed by my e-mail, I'm afraid, but every e-mail is a help to our cause!

It looks good to me, and my hope for releases of more seasons has increased.

Cees

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If you do not care for the Packaging the disks come in (A good example was Season 11 of The Simpsons), you can always order a Disk Case for somewhere. (I've ordered some from shop4tech.com) and used them. Replacing the cases has it benefits as well. I nearly DOUBLED my shelf space by doing this with my older sets!/img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Like you "Regulus" it has become common for me at this point to replace certain type cases. Enough, in fact, that I'm half way through my second pack of 50 cases. Not only to better protect disks but to also save space. I use clear standard size cases that hold 4 disks a piece. I get mine from here:

SuperMediaStore.com

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Cees Alons /forum/thread/284109/the-virginian/30#post_3657020
It looks good to me, and my hope for releases of more seasons has increased.
Why am I saying that? Well, because I'm still waiting for the second season of the "related" series
"Alias Smith and Jones". /img/vbsmilies/htf/angry.gif
Cees

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Things may have changed. I just saw a thread on DVDTalk saying that the Virginian 1&2 are now available at Sam's club for $20 a piece. It could be they got too much bad feedback on the Tin idea or just changed their minds from a cost standpoint.

I did not see them at Costco yesterday so hopefully the early word that they would be released early at both warehouse stores is still true. Otherwise, I might have to get a friend to pick these up for me. I used my free trial pass the last time to get the Wagon Train set.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Brad, what you describe sounds in line with what I reported ago would happen, based on TMG's info to me:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Virginian-Season-1/13245

That was IN ADDITION to the tin release for May:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Virginian-Season-1/13289

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
David,

I had read those announcements before, but I guess I had always interpreted them to mean that the switch from a two volume release to a Tin was going to impact both the earlier and later releases. Not that one would contain split volumes and the other a Tin. That sounds a little odd, especially if the later release contains two less disks. But I guess there is nothing to really say it couldn't be interpreted either way.

In any case, I was never a fan of the Tin and would much prefer the standard DVD case design of the independent volumes. So hopefully it will still show up at Costco. Early releases were usually found at Costco and that is where I first found out about TMG. However, the Wagon Train release was only at Sam's. So that has me a little bit worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks