What's new

The Vatican's "Best Movies" list (worth a read!) (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
James Roberts's post is the sort of response for which this thread has been reopened.

Let me clarify a point for those who may be intimidated by wondering what sorts of posts will work in this thread. By ruling out the discussion of religion and politics per se, we are saying this thread is not a soapbox for one to expound on his or her personal feelings about the Catholic church and its administration in particular and about religious groups in general.

But insofar as to how religion intersects the world of film art, you are encouraged to discuss this list from that context. You may even speculate as to the reasoning that went into compiling this list.

From that standpoint, I'd like to ask a question provoked by some of the earliest posts regarding a film dear to my heart (well, several of the films on the list are dear to me, but you know what I mean): Why the puzzlement over the Vatican's having included 2001: A Space Odyssey? Because of its being a film "about" evolution perhaps?

The compilers of this list possessed such an open mind I would dare say they might have been willing to include films that, taken alone, espouse a distinctly anti-religious worldview.

These people, as Rich Malloy noted very early on, possessed an insightful understanding of film and its place in our lives (and that would include, for many of us, our "spiritual" lives).

Now, let's proceed forth from this understanding. I know you can do it!

Here is a newswire concerning 2001: A Space Odyssey and a recent Vatican screening:

Kubrick's Space Odyssey Screened at Vatican
VATICAN, Mar. 2, 01 (CWNews.com) -- A newly edited version of the 1968 film, "2001: A Space Odyssey," was shown at the Vatican on Thursday evening, March 1. The remastered version of the acclaimed film by the late Stanley Kubrick was shown under the aegis of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications. In 1996, that Council listed the original Kubrick film among the most important films of the 20th century.

The Vatican screening was attended by Christiane Kubrick, the widow of the film's director, and by Archbishop John Foley, the president of the Pontifical Council for Social Communications. A second screening has been scheduled for March 15, when that Council will have its plenary assembly. Among those expected to attend this second showing are Cardinals Roger Etchegaray, Miloslav Vlk, Dionigi Tettamanzi, and Dario Castrillon Hoyos.

-------

Primarily, I think the Council recognize 2001 as a work of transcendent art, but also recognize it's potential to incite positive discourse concerning matters related to humankind, and spirituality. Many biblical scholars and theologians have analyzed the film and have acknowledged it as a rich source of ecumenical and cosmological study. Several people have even noted that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not only Science Fiction, but extends into the realm of philosophy and might very well be one of the most philosophical and theological films ever made- a mingling of science and spirituality ("The concept of a force beyond human comprehension, even beyond human imagination that defies human-based logic and human rationalization. As well, The themes of ascension, and intervention."). As noted earlier, the American-based National Catholic Office for Motion Pictures awarded Kubrick for 2001, as 'best film for educational value'.

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I had no big wanting to see the seventh sealBut now after that wonderful description I really want to see it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Then it appears the list has done some good!

By the way, I am aware of the church's award to Mr. Kubrick. And thank you for the information in your post.

Interestingly, the author of the press release made an error: The film was not re-edited. It was simply a freshly struck print with a remastered soundtrack.

Excellent information here.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Instead of those ludicrous CAP Alert movie reviews, perhaps the Vatican should come out with some POPE Alerts. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Now you have to wonder what the CAP alerts are for any of the Vatican approved films. ;)
Wouldn't that look rather foolish for them.

The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops have their own ratings system, to compliment the MPAA's service, acting as an advisory. The Office of Film and Broadcasting has been reviewing films for decades. Here is a link to their version of the "Vatican 45" (including their own ratings and MPAA ratings where available):
The USCCB website- Vatican Centenary List
They include a brief synopsis for each film but, rarely resort to cataloging every questionable frame (we'll leave that to our friends at CAP alert).
Elsewhere on their site, they have a catalogue of their film reviews throughout the years, and a listing of their 'top ten' lists from 1965 to 2001- some very interesting choices in those lists.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks