What's new

The Upgraded Anthem AVM-20 2.0 Thread (1 Viewer)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Someone has already posted this question on AVS, which is: has anyone who is getting the hardware upgrade to their AVM-20 received it yet? I know I ordered the day it was released (12 days ago) and it hasn't arrived yet. My dealer keeps saying that they will call Anthem, find out the order status, and then call me back. I have yet to receive a return call from my dealer (after bugging them 3 times since the upgrade was ordered).
:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Michael

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to hear more about people's impression of "Anthem Logic", especially in direct comparison to DPLII using analog sources.:D
Phil

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I called my dealer today and placed my order for the chip kit. He stated that after talking to his Anthem rep, he should have the kit in house within 7 days. Time will tell.

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be getting the upgrade when I return home after a couple of shows this month. I have already talked to my dealer and it will take a week to get the chipset. But only an afternoon to do the work installing the chip and software. I'm looking forward to it!
I bought the Anthem after considering both the Aragon and the Integra Research RDC-7. The Aragon has great specs, but one crucial thing for me was the lack of balanced outputs. All of my amps have balanced in's. Currently I'm using an Aragon 8008x3B for my L/C/R, and Crown (pro gear) amps for the rest. I use a mixture of older and nw Klipsch speakers including one on the subs, which is from their pro line. I'm going to replace that with a Macintosh THX Ultra passive sub very soon. I find the combination of the Anthem and the Aragon amp to be stunning. The clarity and openness of the sound is nothing short of astounding. So I like Aragon stuff. The Integra unit sounds wonderful and has balanced outputs and even an AC3-RF input, but was almost $1000 more than what I paid for the Anthem, even with a negotiated price. After spending a couple of hours with the processor at my dealer I was sold on the Anthem. I even heard it with Macintosh speakers that sounded so brittle that it was almost offensive. The sound and flexibility for the price won me over, especially after getting it into my system and hearing the difference there. Of course, I'd like a Casablanca or an MC-12, but no money for that. I'm still surprised my wife went for this, but she is loving it. No volume restrictions here!
Bottom line is I love this unit. It doesn't do everything, but what does? I'm happy

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I have done some comparisons using Anthemlogic and PLII with my DSS feed.

Anthemlogic seems to have a pronounced sub channel. I have my fronts set to large and I get alot of sound from the sub and alot of shaking my bass shaker. Not sure if I like that. The rears and center did not seem to be that different from old PL.

PLII seems to have boosted the rears. They do seem to have much more of a presence, not just louder.

The only other thing I noticed on PLII the center on live events, such as the NFL this weekend, seemed to pick up the scratching in the mic of the announcer. This was also duplicated to the rears a bit. Did not like that at all. I switched to AnthemLogic for that game it got alot better, but I lost alot of the crowd noise from the rears. I tried a few other NFL games with PLII and it seemed to help. I must have been something with that mic that the one announcer was using.

All in all I think I will be using PLII for my 2.0 stuff on TV.

The little bit of listening I have done with PLII Music and Anthemlogic Music I ended up going back to plain ol 2 channel and liked it better. I have to give it some more time and see what I think.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Michael and Camp,

I'll address a couple of points.

I ordered the Anthem upgrade chip for my demo unit the day it came out. It hasn't arrived yet but I expect it any day.

Tag vs. Anthem. I am a dealer for Anthem *and* Tag McLaren. The AVM20 is a wonderful piece. It has more ins and outs, the additional zones are an excellent selling point for me (I have a custom installation shop) and it's a great value.

The Tag is superior sonically in every respect to my ears. It is more detailed and music AND movies have more of a presence than the AVM20. It is also worth the price of admission to my ears. In my comparison the ONLY difference was the processor. Both systems were demoed through an Anthem MCA50 amp and Triad Gold speakers.

Between the two, it boils down to what feature set and what level of performance my customer desires. Both are exceptional for different reasons but only one really gets me and that one is the Tag. Regards.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Michael,
I was merely posting my impressions. I don't have a need to "prove" anything. I have had the opportunity to spend extensive time with both processors on an excellent system from front-end to speakers. 99.5% of the population has not. Take this information with a grain of salt if you wish but you have no right to tell me that I'm wasting time in this thread.
BTW, why don't you stop switching processors (although it appears that you have) and upgrade those Marantz amps. Now, there's where you could really improve things. ;)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Dennis,

"Is Anthemlogic just a different mame for Cinemalogic on the old chipset or is there a difference?"

I am not sure we have the "official" word on this. It is possible that CinemaLogic is now called AnthemLogic - Cinema and that AnthemLogic - Music is a new DSP mode. It would be interesting to find out whether Anthem updated the algorithms for AnthemLogic or just carried over the old CinemaLogic.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,

"The only other thing I noticed on PLII the center on live events, such as the NFL this weekend, seemed to pick up the scratching in the mic of the announcer. This was also duplicated to the rears a bit. Did not like that at all."

That seems to be somewhat common for surround matrix modes for 2 channel sources. BTW, did you use the DPL II Movie mode or the DPL II Music mode? The reason I ask is that I have heard with the DPL II Music mode you can adjust some of the mode parameters. This might help alleviate some of the odd sounds you are getting in the surround speakers. With the DPL II Movie mode, the parameters are fixed, so there are no such adjustments.

"Anthemlogic seems to have a pronounced sub channel. I have my fronts set to large and I get alot of sound from the sub and alot of shaking my bass shaker. Not sure if I like that. The rears and center did not seem to be that different from old PL."

One of the best matrix surround modes out there, Logic 7, does something similar, at least it does with the Lexicon MC-1. If the mains are large, a subwoofer connected via subout, and you are using Logic 7 (or Music Logic) with a 2 channel input, you can get an overlap in bass between the mains and the subwoofer. At least with the MC-1 you can turn down the subwoofer's level for these modes if your system is set up like this.

BTW, did you set separate crossovers for the speakers? If so, did you set a crossover for the subwoofer? I wonder how Anthem implemented this?

Thanks for the feedback.

Michael

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
My apologies to everyone, especially Bill, for my prior outburst earlier this evening on this thread. I would like to say it had something to do with my frustration waiting for the AVM-20 upgrade hardware or my wife being laid off soon or the constant forum arguments of "mine is better than yours" (which I stepped right into!), but it was still uncalled for.

Michael

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
MIchael,

No problem. I had no intention of being in the "mine is better than yours mode". I find that thought process appalling. I was simply trying to offer a view as someone who has spent significant time with both. I'd be proud to have either processor in my system and if I didn't think the AVM20 was a wonderful peice I wouldn't carry it. I have no interest in the "piece du jour" and simply want to provide the best solution for my clients given their system requirements.

BTW, if you met me you'd drop the arrogant dealer feelings in a hurry. I'm probably one of the most honest, down-to-earth people you'd ever meet. Regards.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I spoke to my dealer yesterday...he put in an order for my hardware upgrade last week. If he can get it to me any time this month and still honor his agreement to do it for free I'll forgive his ignorance on Anthem gear. :)

Randy Haines

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to hear the TAG unit sometime. I don't know who is their dealer in my area, though. I had to go to Colorado Springs to hear the Integra RDC-7. Luckily, I found an Anthem dealer in town here that was willing ot let me take their demo home to play with. I also could not find anyone local to hear the Aragon. I do have a frined that owns a company in Baltimore, but I was not sure when I would be there next to get a chance to hear the unit, so I chose to go ahead and buy. If I had the money, I'd rpobably buy the Casablanca.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Isn't the TAG a bit lacking in features? It doesn't do video switching (but many people scoff at that anyway) but I was under the impression it strongly erred on the side of audio quality over features.
Obviously, I have no experience with it so my impression may be totally off base. It is ugly though :)

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I just got off the phone with my AVM-20 salesman. The word he got from his "rep" is that Anthem will be shipping the hardware upgrades (mine and two others) he ordered next Monday. Oh well, so much for having the upgrade before this weekend.

I have numerous questions about how the AVM-20's bass management functions have changed with this new upgrade. I am not sure where to start. Has anyone asked Anthem questions about the new crossovers and how they are applied in the various DSP modes?

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks