The Untouchables

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JLKINSER, Nov 5, 2012.

1. JLKINSER

JLKINSER Stunt Coordinator

Hey All, I have been thinking about buying The Untouchables on DVD and was wondering what every ones thoughts were on the series release on DVD. Are the episodes complete and uncut? Is the music intact? What do the transfers look like?
    Thanks for the info!!:)

2. Guest

I have the first three seasons. The shows are uncut and the music is original as far as I can tell. That show had pretty distinctive music! Overall, the transfers are nice, obviously from 35mm. Grayscale and contrast are very nice. Sharp. Some sections in some shows are grainier than others, and sometimes this will vary from shot to shot. It's not perfect but I think you will be happy.

3. JLKINSER

JLKINSER Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for the reply. Looks like this will be the next DVDs I buy!!

4. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

The Untouchables complete series is at Amazon as one of their "Deals of the Day" sales at $107.99 here

5. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    On the DVDs, are the opening credit sequences intact? I've caught an episode or two on MeTV and the openings seem choppy - missing something - perhaps sponsor IDs?

I've wondered the same thing about THE F.B.I. When I watched those as a kid, they always had a Ford Motor Company sponsor ID in the opening, but in syndication it was always choppy. Are the MOD discs similarly chopped, or are they night-of-broadcast intact?

Harry

6. stuartfanning

stuartfanning Stunt Coordinator

Stuart Fanning
    The Untouchables DVD releases have the complete opening credit sequences without the sponsor id's which were easy to edit out, as you will see from the following clips from the original complete opens:

The FBI was different as The 'Ford Motor Company presents' was a part of the opening sequence. Most episodes of the WB MOD releases have the opening sequences edited to remove the 'Ford' component. However for a few episodes WB have used the complete original open.

7. Roy Wall

Roy Wall Supporting Actor

Yeah...I'm gonna give this one a look like I did with "Naked City". Hoping my wife and I have the same reaction as we have with NC. Starting with Season 2 Vol. 2 because of the guest star list for those 16 episodes and if we like them...I'll crank in season 3 vol. 1 (highest episode ratings at TV.COM) and work the rest in as I can afford them.

8. John Hermes

John Hermes Screenwriter

John Hermes
    Yeah, weird about the grain, I agree. I also wish they had all the bumpers during commercial breaks. Overall, they're pretty good.