What's new

The Unsinkable Molly Brown... (1 Viewer)

Dan M~

Second Unit
How is this DVD? I would like to pick it up, unless there is a better version in the works.

Thanks.

EDIT: Woops... lost the "T" in The in the title! Can an Admin fix that please?

John Gido

Second Unit
Bought this for my wife as it is here favorite movie/musical. Looked pretty good on my 27" TV and the sound was OK, better than I expected.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thanks John and Thomas,
It's lunch time and I'm going to run out to Best Buys for a copy right now. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Good sound for the age of the film and *awesome* 16x9 WS transfer. A very "film like" image. I was very impressed.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Considering this movie wasn't available for viewing on video ever, or on television for decades, having ANY disc is a pleasure. But this one's pretty nice, and I've not heard of it being revisited.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
????

It came out on letterboxed laserdisc years ago and I'm sure there was a VHS release as well.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
?????

The film was released on Laserdisc twice, once in Pan & Scan and again in letterbox. There have also been numerous VHS ediitons going back to the early 80's. AMC and TBS also screened the film in the letterbox format. Rhino release a Compact Disc just last year.

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thanks All,

I've got my copy on DVD and will watch it with the family this weekend. I've been picking up some of these old musicals as they are ALWAYS acceptable for the whole family to watch! Ages 2 to 72.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The letterbox laserdisc had the L&R sound channels reversed.

I'm not sure if this was ever corrected.

I consider that there is also a problem with the sound on the DVD.

I think the mix is wrong in as much as the surround channels are far too loud at times.

Try sitting close to the surrounds during the "I ain't down yet" number and see if you don't get blown out of your chair by the excessive volume of the orchestra.

My Wife had ringing in her ears for ages after sitting too close.

Other wise, the DVD is fabulous and by far the best version released so far.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Too bad about Warners general policy of "remixing" older films soudntracks with directional dialogue into a "mono" center-channel configuration.

I really enjoy the soundtracks from musicals from Fox which always do their best to preserve the original "mix" as much as possible...including directional dialogue.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Hm, I had understood that this was tied up in some kind of rights hell forever. I must have been thinking of another movie? :confused:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Right, but I think he's thinking of Annie Get your gun which had not ever been made available on any home-video format and hadn't been shown on television for many years prior to the very recent DVD (which received much press due to this fact).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks