What's new

The Twilight Zone (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
A Stop At Willoughby is a great one too. The only thing that I don't like about it is that

(spoiler text for those that have had the episode sitting on their DVRs for the last 53 years)
Williams dies. Granted, he ends up in heaven and is happy but it's still pretty grim that he had to die to achieve some kind of happiness.
But Travis, it makes perfect sense. After all,

The only way to get to heaven is to die

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
RobertR said:
But Travis, it makes perfect sense. After all,

The only way to get to heaven is to die
To build on that, I was a bit disappointed
in the manner of James Daly's death. I think he should have died of a heart attack or a stroke rather than throwing himself off the train. I like to think that the brief glimpses he had of Willoughby were because he had had a mild heart attack during his naps. The show seemed to be building toward his demise due to too much stress. I think a more effective ending would have been to have shown Daly's body in his seat, dead, with a smile on his face.
It's still a great episode, in my handful of favorites. Daly gave an Emmy calibre performance, IMO.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
I doubt it'll get down to that low of a price but the Blu-ray series set is tomorrow's Amazon's Gold Box Deal Of The Day tomorrow (June 25).
It's $107 for the Blu-ray set. That's about $21 per season and less than 75 cents an episode so, if I didn't already own them, I would go for this set rather than maybe spend years waiting for it to accidentally drop to $60 again.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
TravisR said:
It's $107 for the Blu-ray set. That's about $21 per season and less than 75 cents an episode so, if I didn't already own them, I would go for this set rather than maybe spend years waiting for it to accidentally drop to $60 again.
I am very tempted at that price...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Shatner's Grim Reaper said:
To me..compared to what else is available on Blu-Ray.....TZ at $107 is a gift horse made of pure gold.
The deal expired. Next time.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Osato said:
I am very tempted at that price...
I would have probably bought it at this price last year. However, given that I now have an Amazon Prime subscription (with streaming HD episodes available to watch anytime), and also given the $60.00 price awhile back (though it was apparently an error), I decided to wait and see if it dips back down sometime.

If I'd known about the $60 price in time, I certainly would have bought it then, Prime membership notwithstanding!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am the night - mixed feelings

i enjoy messages, and dont mind it being preachy, to a certain degree

but i felt a bit uncomfortable with the overwhelmingly strong correlation to the story of jesus dying on the cross

i think it would have been better to take that sort of religious reference out of the show, and just left it with "hatred is causing us problems"

plus the conversation between the preacher and the condemned man seemed a bit odd ?

they guy is supposed to be innocent, and yet they show him as saying he enjoyed the killing ? dont think that really rang true.

plus he helped a black man, and then the black preacher all of a sudden comes up with the man enjoying the killing ?

i think the show had excellent intentions, but parts of it would have been better, had it been done differently...

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
sounds - i did not care that much for the actual story

but i enjoyed the acting

john mcgiver is one of those faces that i see all over

his particular character reminded me of the head of the household in mary poppins

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
caesar - went from a talking doll to a talking dummy

sorry, it gets the same crappy review from this viewer !!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The episide called Ring of Ding Girl is very good, especially the ending!! The great thing about the twilight zone was the ending!!!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
the encounter

excellent show, excellent acting by both men

i watched the ending several times, and i am confused

the serviceman puts sulu down, as the samurai sword falls to the ground.

he then reaches for the desk, and somehow gets stabbed by what looked like some sort of sword ?

anyone know exactly what happened ?

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
mr garrity - good

however, the point was made as he was leaving town

having the people actually get up from the dead cheapened the effect some, for me

btw, here is another case of where the increased clarity hurt things - but in a small way

you could clearly see the dog's eye nose area twitch !!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I watched A Game of Pool, Steel, and Walking Distance last night. And then I watched Walking Distance again with my children tonight as I knew they would love that one. What a wonderful episode. I loved the music, and while watching it I thought that the compositional style sounded a lot like my favorite composer of film music (Bernard Herrmann). It had the characteristic string work and harmonic vocabulary that I am so fond of in his music. So I was pleased when I found out that he did in fact write the music I was hearing in the episode.

There are some interesting moments during the last third or so of Walking Distance when Martin Sloan (Gig Young) is approaching a merry-go-round. The camera work was compelling in that there was a severe tilt (in both directions) as Martin sees himself (as an eleven year-old boy) get injured running away from himself. (He then feels this injury as his adult self as well and we learn that this is how he got the limp he now has as an adult.) I don't think I've seen such a pronounced tilt since some episodes of Batman.

Other moments from the episode that are enchanting are the soda fountain (in both 1934 and 1959), the rock 'n roll we hear as we find ourselves back in the present day, and the moment adult Martin realizes what has happened when a young boy tells him that he has a brand new 1934 automobile (out of Detroit). It was neat too seeing a very young Ron Howard as the little boy playing marbles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks