What's new

The Twilight Zone Season 4 and 5 (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
So, how does the transfer for, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge look? Gorgeous?

I did not know that Submitted For Your Approval was included; that's so cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Chas: If memory serves, I got around $250 for my complete set. This was about a year and a half ago, though... and I would think they've gone down in value.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I thought I was a fan, but I guess not with this question: What is Submitted For Your Approval about? I read it's an American Masters documentary. What specifically is it about? The entire TZ phenomenon?
-

JeffT.

Screenwriter
It's about the (whole) Rod Serling (December 25th, 1924 - June 28th, 1975) phenomena and a better topic couldn't have been selected!

This discussion thread should be doing much better than it has been but perhaps as more forum members actually receive the final definitive edition DVD set than there will be further discussion on it.

With the completion of the ambitious THE TWILIGHT ZONE undertaking now reached it's time for the selfsame creative imaginations to turn their attention to another likely project and the most logical choice would be THE INVADERS (ABC 1967-68) starring Roy Thinnes.

You've all done such an outstanding job on this that I feel that THE INVADERS also warrants a similar Definitive Edition treatment.

How about it Gentlemen? Now is definitely not the time to go silent on us!

Jeff T.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Anyone find the set at Costco yet? I was there earlier today and it looks like they don't even know it's new release day. I've seen today and tomorrow listed as the release date for this set so I can see some confusion there. However, they didn't have The Shield, that American Pie DTV sequel, or that Jessica Alba movie out either.

By the way, feel free to call a cheap bastard for only wanting to pick the set up at Costco. :)

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Travis, if I lived even remotely close to Costco, I would buy it there, too. As I complained about over in the "Coupons & Bargains" thread, the B&M prices for season five suck big time! After a pretty thorough search, I ended up ordering a copy online from DVD Empire for $60.96. I may have to wait a few extra days, but I save $30-$40 compared to the local big box stores...

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
No Costco where I am either. I will probably get this at BJ's Wholesale Club. Though sometimes it takes awhile to get on the shelves.

DanMel

Second Unit
I had originally pre-ordered this from Amazon.com about 6 months ago and chose 3 day shipping as opposed to free shipping. I had problems with other orders on free shipping from amazon as they would hold it up for 8 days at the warehouse before they would ship it out.

This time amazon had a ship date of this Thursday for a Monday release and the order would not arrive until next Tuesday.

I cancelled that order and checked with dvdempire as they had the lowest price but they charge a 4-5 dollar sales tax in addition to shipping so I ordered from deepdiscoutdvd as I ordered 10 other box sets from them when they had the buy one get one free deal. I decided to go with two day UPS shipping and it came to 75 dollars which was only 3 dollars more than amazon for 3-5 day shipping. I also had a good experience with deep discount on the outer limits season 2 where I got defective discs on side a for discs one and two. They are allowing me to ship it back to them for free for replacement.

However, with all the talk on people getting defective discs for Outer limits season 2 I do not know if there are ANY sets out there that are not defective. Mine are real bad as when I pop them into the computer it just keeps telling me to please insert disc and in my dvd players it gives me the disc is dirty error code eventhough there are no scratches on the dvd and no fingerprints. I use to think that those double sided disc problems were dvd player releated but no longer as these will not read even on my Sony player with advanced error correction that even plays discs with severe stratches on them.

All four discs for Outer Limits season 1 played on both my computer and my dvd player.

DanMel

Second Unit
I ussually do not mind waiting on dvd's to arrive in the mail. However, I am off all this week and would really like to be watching season 5 right now. So saving three dollars by ordering from amazon is not worth it to me when they are are going to hold off on shipping it out until Thursday with an arrival of next Tuesday. I should have originally ordered from dvd planet as I got season 3 a week early from them prior to release. Amazon NEVER ships out dvds early.

The only thing scary about ordering from dvd planet in their fine print they have what looks like a no return policy for open dvd's even if defective, which is very scary in my view.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Not true at all. Most of my preorders ship Saturday, Sunday or Monday, and arrive Tuesday or Wednessday, sometimes Thursday. This is with free shipping, of course. I guess it will vary from location to location, though.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Here are the Season 5 specs, courtesy of Coconuts.com...

Disc #1 -- Twilight Zone: Season 5

In Praise of Pip
Audio Commentary by Bill Mumy
Isolated Score by Rene Garriguenc
Bill Mumy Interview

Steel
Isolated Score by Van Cleave
Richard Matheson Interview (with Marc Scott Zicree)

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
Rod Serling Lecture (Sherwood Oaks College)
Isolated Score (stock)
Richard Matheson Interview ( with Marc Scott Zicree)

A Kind of a Stopwatch
Isolated Score by Van Cleave
The Twilight Zone Radio Drama, Starring Lou Diamond Phillips

The Last Night of a Jockey
Audio Commentary by Mickey Rooney

Living Doll
Audio Commentary by June Foray
Isolated Score by Bernard Herrmann
June Foray Interview
The Twilight Zone Radio Drama, Starring Tim Karzurinsky

The Old Man in the Cave
(none)

Disc #2 -- Twilight Zone: Season 5

Uncle Simon
(none)

Probe 7, Over and Out
(none)

The 7th Is Made Up of Phantoms
The Twilight Zone Radio Drama, Starring Richard Grieco

A Short Drink from a Certain Fountain
(none)

Ninety Years Without Slumbering
Isolated Score by Bernard Herrmann
Carolyn Kearney Interview (with George Clayton Johnson)
George Clayton Johnson Interview

Ring-a-Ding Girl
Earl Hammer, Jr. Interview

You Drive
Earl Hamner, Jr. Interview (with Marc Scott Zicree)

Disc #3 -- Twilight Zone: Season 5

The Long Morrow
Audio Commentary by Mariette Hartley
The Twilight Zone Radio Drama, Starring Kathy Garver

The Self-Improvement of Salvadore Ross
(none)

Number 12 Looks Just Like You
Audio Commentary by Marc Zicree

Black Leather Jackets
Michael Forest and Earl Hamner, Jr. Interview

Night Call
Richard Matheson Interview (with Marc Scott Zicree)

From Agnes - With Love
(none)

Spur of the Moment
Isolated Score by Rene Garriguenc
Richard Matheson Interview

Disc #4 -- Twilight Zone: Season 5

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Isolated Score by Henri Lanoe
Conversations with Rod Serling (Part 1)

Queen of the Nile
(none)

What's in the Box
(none)

The Masks
Audio Commentary by Alan Sues

I Am the Night- Color Me Black
Terry Becker Interview

Sounds and Silences
The Twilight Zone Radio Drama, Starring Richard Kind

Caesar and Me
(none)

The Jeopardy Room
Audio Commentary by Martin Landau

Disc #5 -- Twilight Zone: Season 5

Stopover in a Quiet Town
Earl Hamner, Jr. Interview

The Encounter
(none)

Mr. Garrity and the Graves
The Twilight Zone Radio Drama, Starring Chris MacDonald

The Brain Center at Whipple's
(none)

Come Wander with Me
Isolated Score by Jeff Alexander

The Fear
(none)

The Bewitchin' Pool
Earl Hamner, Jr. Interview
Isolated Score (stock)

Season 5 Bonus Material
Highlights from the Museum of Television & Radio Seminar
Conversations with Rod Serling (Part 2)
Alfred Hitchcock Promo
George Clayton Johnson Home Movies
Excerpt from Rod Serling's Sherwood Oaks College Lecture
Season 5 Billboards
Season 5 Photo Gallery

Disc #6 -- Twilight Zone: Season 5

Rod Serling: Submitted For Your Approval (American Masters documentary)

...Initial thoughts:

Well, Bernard Herrmann's Twilight Zone scores have now all been made available, so for a Herrmann fanatic like me, this alone is worth the price of the set. However, the scores of Nathan Van Cleave (my second point of interest in this set) regrettably aren't fully represented ("Black Leather Jackets" and "From Agnes, With Love" aren't present; fortunately "Steel" and "A Kind of Stopwatch" are). Overall, this set has the LEAST number of isolated scores, which is unfortunate and undeniably disappointing.

The commentary track by Martin Landau on "The Jeopardy Room" should be fascinating (as was his earlier commentary track for season one's "Mr. Denton on Doomsday"). The non-episode-specific extras look interesting, particularly the Serling interviews (I'll be interested to see just what the heck the Alfred Hitchcock promo is). Too bad they couldn't have secured a commentary track by William Shatner for "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet".... :D

JeffT.

Screenwriter
Thank you for the extensive listing of just what can be expected in the way of special extras included with all 36 black-and-white, half hour episodes from the fifth season (1963-64) of THE TWILIGHT ZONE definitive edition DVD collection.

Well Shatner didn't participate by providing either an audio commentary or a taped interview for "Nick of Time" (18/11/1960) so I personally wasn't really surprised to see that he (similarly) didn't involve himself with "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" (11/10/1963) arguably the single most famous segment of the entire series.

Truly a missed opportunity and it just may come back to haunt him someday. Never neglect (or overlook) public opinion especially the online grumblings from devout TZ fans whose numbers are legion (on a global scale)!

However whatever the problems with Shatner may have been surely (survivingly) TZ alumni like Mark Richman and Hazel Court (both of whom have attended TZ conventions) could have been secured to provide (some form of) commentary for "The Fear" (29/05/1964) for instance.

But at this late date why quibble? The PBS AMERICAN MASTERS series 1995 documentary "Rod Serling: Submitted for Your Approval" was included (afterall) and I'm sure that the best job possible was done on the parts of everyone involved with these highly recommended classic tv series DVD releases.

Jeff T.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
So, in the end, it appears that the only "feature" of consequence not included in the five volume set is the ersatz TZ 'pilot', The Time Element. Thank you, Image for coming through with a comprehensive, stellar TV-on-DVD package that I am proud to have in my library! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The lack of participation from William Shatner for both his segments is unfortunate. But I bet if he did, you might be dissapointed.

He's said over the years that he quickly forgets things. If you heard his commentary on Star Trek 4, IIRC, he wasn't that informative. I can't blame him, he had to do stuff for the Star Trek material, but I'm not surprised he didn't do anything for this set. Though he did do a commentary for a little known film called Incubus by Outer Limits creater Leslie Stevens.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I'd heard a story about Shatner that he didn't even remember doing the Animated Series! As for Twilight Zone season 5... today was a bust! None at BJ's Wholesale club (where the other seasons are selling for 60 bucks) and none at Best Buy either. Guess I'll give it some time and see if it shows up at BJ's.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find it at Costco today either. Maybe the big wholesale stores decided not to stock it this time?

Between gas, time, aggravation and my impatience, I gave up and paid the extra $10 that it costs from Amazon. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I've found that BB and Costco do not stock these older titles on day and date. (Or they don't put them on the shelves) My guess is they put priority on the new titles that appeal to the wider buying public.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks