What's new

The Truman Show: Special Collector's Edition - 8/23 (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck

I can't say for sure, but I imagine that, like most "flat" films, it was projected at approximiately 1.85:1 in the U.S. and at 1.66:1 in the UK. Not sure about anywhere else.

I definitely am looking forward to this release, though; I caught part of this on TBS the other night, and I was reminded by how prophetic the movie turned out to be (what with the current reality show craze). Fascinating film with a brilliant script.

I'm so glad that Carrey chose an honestly good film to be his first major foray into drama. It was really a wise decision.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't there a TV special that used deleted footage? We never got it in the UK but I remember reading about it - doesn't look like it's on the disc. I'd also have loved to see the test footage they made with Gary Oldman as Truman - hopefully that will show up in the documentary.

Looking forward to picking this one up!

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I liked this movie and bought the first dvd. But then I never watched it again.

Experience is teaching me not to buy this again.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I like the artwork, but only at the appropriate size!!! That design was made for a poster, because those blocks are individual images. I don't see how this will work effectively at a DVD cover size. I'm sure the artist is mad as hell.

Other than that, it's about time this came out!

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
There was indeed a 1/2 hr TV special with deleted footage. It was a phony documentary, hosted by Harry Shearer, playing a journalist, investigating the world of the film, with all the actors in character as well. It was assembled from footage shot for an abandoned concept of a documentary within the film. I can't remember the title of the documentary for the life of me, and couldn't find any mention of it by Goggling. I have it on video somewhere at home, haven't seen it since it aired.

There were also numerous subplots shot and then deleted, the film was in post-production for something like two years, I think. I remember a friend of mine saw it nearly a year before it came out at a test screening.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
To those complaining about the artwork, not to be an ass or anything, but do you buy the movies for the movie/extras themselves or the artwork? I mean, the box sits on your shelf and you only see it when you take it out to watch the movie. The only reason I could see for replacing covers is for the old style WB snap cases vs the regular ones.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Complainers about artwork usually are "big picture," "whole package" types. They see a release as more than the feature on the disc. Rarely is a complaint strong enough to prevent a purchase, but from a creative standpoint why would one choose to wrap a project representing thousands of hours of work in something sub-par?

And my complaint was based on the presentation of the artwork not doing justice to the work itself.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
It's about time for a proper special edition of Truman Show with the deleted scenes I've read so much about. I really hope there's a commmentary.

The artwork collage is from a theatrical poster and works well. Of course it would look better on a laserdisc jacket than on a pitiful dvd box but oh well.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I'll step here on this one. The biggest complaint about snappers vs keep cases is how they fit on the shelf. For those of us who alphabetize their collection on a shelf where snappers are side by side against keep cases, they aren't the same size. Snappers look ugly when mixed in a row of keep cases. Further more, when on a shelf, sometimes, snappers can get caught on another case when trying to pull out of its spot.

Having all snappers in a row doesnt look too bad, having all keepcases in a row looks even better, but having them mixed and matched looks terrible.

This is one of the biggest complaints against snappers.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
What a lousy review. No comparison to the previous release's sound and video quality. Just: What the hell is that? lol

No commentary... bummer. :-(

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I was thinking the same thing. The DVD had a weird ratio, likely fixed and cleaned for the new released.

Ah, any other reviews?

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I'll be posting my review tonight.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a side-by-side from me, you'll be disappointed. I've never seen the prior release. I will, however, have at least a couple of paragraphs on the audio/video quality of the new SCE.

Remember, DVD reviewers are volunteers, and often don't have easy access to prior releases for direct comparisons. That said, I think reviews deserve more than a couple of sentences on the technical merits of the transfer.

I was pleased with The Truman Show... and certainly the bump up to anamorphic had to make it an improvement.

-Scott

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I don't think Peter Weir has ever done a commentary track...too bad as I think he would have quite a few interesting things to say...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I remember hearing he was on a commentary for the R4 edition of The Dead Poets Society. Or was that one of those commentaries compiled from interviews?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks