What's new

The Transformers/GI JOE Dilemma (1 Viewer)

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
RE: GI Joe Series set:
--Posted by Brian Ward on the Shout! Message boards 4/13

So Transformers will be out by the end of the year, and G.I. Joe significantly sooner!

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Another great comment by Brian Ward today in regards to the season set for Transformers (and I would assume GI Joe):
If true, this would be amazing! Especially since the first season of Transformers is due 6/17, and G.I. Joe on 7/21. I can believe it for G.I. Joe, but it seems to be quite soon on the Transformers set.

He does allude to more information coming "in the next few days", so there may be something official by next week to gnaw on!

Regardless, if you're interested in catching up on the ongoing threads at the official Shout! boards, they can be found here:

The Definitive Transformers Thread
and
The Definitive G.I. Joe Thread

As an aside, Shout! is handling these releases as they should. Having the complete series available before the season releases will be great for the die-hards, while the individual releases will be good for the casual fans.

And the powers-that-be are very open and receptive to ideas on how to best present the episodes. I own the Rhino releases, but Brian Ward and Shout! have impressed me to this point, and I think I'll be picking these up as well....

David Levine

Supporting Actor
I think you are slightly misreading that. The Complete Sets will not be out before ANY of the individual volumes, but they will be out before ALL the individual volumes.

We haven't seen dates yet, but we've read (on TVShowsonDVD) that the Complete Sets will be out later this summer. So probably not too long after the first volumes, but likely before the second ones.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
That makes better sense. Thanks for the clarification. The wording throws me off a bit. Perhaps "you will be able to get get the complete series before the final season volume is released" would work better.

In any case, it sounds like final details are forthcoming, so we should have some concrete release details shortly.

Mike Miskulin

Second Unit
Well, the complete series for Transformers and G.I. Joe will be available first at San Diego Comic-Con, then online (via Shout's website, presumably), then at mass retail sometime thereafter. Basically, both complete series will be out by mid-July.

Special packaging apparently is a "foot locker" for G.I. Joe and a "Matrix of Leadership" for the Transformers. No images, yet.

And from today's press release:

Lookin' good to me!

David Levine

Supporting Actor
Very happy about this part:

Also, after seeing details in the HMM story regarding the packaging, Gord and I checked in with Ward to bring up concerns over various specialty TV-DVD "complete series" packages over recent years that were constructed in ways that would not prevent the discs from getting scratched (for example, we've received complaints - or seen issues with our own eyes - over the years for MacGyver, Charmed, I Love Lucy, Stargate SG-1, Fraggle Rock, Little House on the Prairie, The Flintstones and others). Brian alleviated our fears immediately, stressing again - as he did in the HMM story - that "the discs will be stored in digistacks; the outer packaging is an extremely heavy duty cardboard". Additionally, here are a couple of quotes by Ward, posted at the Shout! message board: one is from the Transformers discussion, and the other from the G.I. Joe discussion. He posted these following his response to us, and explains the safety of the DVDs in even more detail:

And, finally, a word about the "Matrix of Leadership" packaging. Make no mistake. We've not steered you toward a package that will harm your discs. We've not actually constructed a replica of the Matrix itself...Your discs will be safe and sound.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Transformers DVD news: Announcement for The Transformers - 25th Anniversary Matrix of Leadership Edition: Collector?s Set | TVShowsOnDVD.com

G.I. Joe DVD news: Update about G.I. Joe - A Real American Hero Complete Collector's Set | TVShowsOnDVD.com

Ahem...

CRAP!!!!!

No, not that either one of these are bad, far from it, but man, it hurts the wallet, plus it's four days from my birthday, so no way can I justify the cost right now of either.

The thing that worries me is the preorder from Transformers says "limited time." Am I to assume that this means that only a limited number of the complete sets of Transformers and Joe will be produced? If so, will supplies hold out until Christmas?

These sets look awesome and Shout! has done an awesome job yet again. Now... what am I going to have to give up to get them? :frowning:

Mr. Papagiorgio

Stunt Coordinator
I'm probably going to get both boxsets, but wait until they hit retail stores. It sounds like they will be available there by the end of the year. I think it will be a little bit cheaper then and it will also be easier to return stuff if something doesn't work or is damaged.

MattQuack

Agent
Real Name
Matt
It'll be easier to get some cash together by waiting til they hit retail. I made the mistake last time waiting for most of them to be OOP....not this time though.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Been lucky, got some cash for my birthday, so Transformers looks good to go. We'll see about Joe though. Not that I don't want it, it's just this can get expensive pretty fast.

I know in the interests of making sure everything is exchangable, I should wait for retail, I'm just a bit gunshy. Dunno how many B&M stores will carry stuff this big, plus worried about potential sellouts. Case in point, I almost missed the MST3K 20th Anniversary Set for that reason.

I'll wait until just before July to order though to collect as much cash as I can so I'm ready. Plus I'd like a listing on what's in the Joe set as well.

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I'll be getting both series by the season as I can't afford to get the complete series.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Understandable, but a shame. Wish everything could be more affordable in this day and age, but glad to be able to get what we can.

As for me, almost got enough for both. We'll see this weekend.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I would pre-roder both Box Sets but I worry too much about issues like Box cuts on the case, or that some side edges may be smooshed etc. I am really anal retentive , I went to three different stores for a decent looking box set for Six Feet Under until I found one that looked like it was in mint condition.

I would rather buy it in a store so I know what I am getting. I don't want to be dissapointed on the case when there could be issues.... Yes I care more about the case then the discs as long as they play I'm odd haha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks