What's new

The Time Machine (1960) coming to blu-ray next year (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Now I'm even more confused! :)The Crescendo liner notes do not out and out say its a re-recording. And the FSM description of their new release says the Crescendo release was a re-recording done in Germany, except for 3 tracks that are tracks from the actual score. Here's what the FSM description says:"This CD marks the premiere release of the original soundtrack recording for The Time Machine. (An earlier recording—released on CD by GNP/Crescendo—was a 1987 re-recording conducted by the composer in Germany, except for three brief tracks from the film itself.) The complete symphonic score is presented in stereo, with "effects" passages (which Garcia himself supervised and considered part of his score) interpolated in mono."So I can believe the Crescendo disc is mostly a re-recording. It could explain why the final track is subtly different. I'm no expert in The Time Machine, so it's interesting to be digging deeper into the score.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
The only soundtrack CD I have owned is the crescendo one, and I always thought it had a re-recording sound to it (considering how many times I've watched the film itself), and just bought the FSM version used online a few days ago. When I get it I'll compare some of the tracks.

schmenz

Auditioning
Real Name
danny
Hello Bruce:Well, I'm no spring chicken and memory does play tricks from time to time, but not in this instance. Someone at MGM/Warner, for some reason, did indeed tamper with the music mix sometime after the the 1980s VHS release. In fact, I just found, and played, an actual recording of the whole film I did on reel-to-reel tape back in the late 1960s when it was premiered on network TV!! Both the network TV showing, the VHS tape - and a 16mm film print that a friend has which we played for comparison - all have the original mix.Regarding the Crescendo recording: the producer of that disk, Arnold Liebovit, has stated that it includes SOME of the original tracks but is mostly a new recording. You can tell the new stuff from the old by noting the orchestra size. On the re-done stuff they used a smaller orchestra than the MGM orchestra in 1960. And when you compare it to the actual soundtrack recently released you will note the differences. I would imagine it was a local pickup orchestra that was used, hence they didn't name it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Since I have both CDs now, I will be making high resolution files to play back and I'll closely compare that track. One thing I really noticed on the FSM release is that a lot more detail can be heard now. Instruments that were not as obvious to me are jumping out. I plan to very carefully listen to those notes now that I think I know what to listen for after hearing the Crescendo version. My guess is if it's a remix, it's merely covering those notes a bit and the exact same notes are there, it just may not be as apparent. With this new FSM disc sounding so clear, maybe I can hear those notes. Just my guess and I can be totally wrong. Danny, it would be very cool if you could somehow get that section of the audio from your reel to reel tape recording as an MP3 or similar file and post it on this thread so we can hear what you hear. Maybe you can record the audio via a mobile device's microphone. Not super fidelity, but enough to hear what you hear. Just a thought. And after I re-listen to the Cresendo disc, I'll try the laserdisc again.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
schmenz said:
Hello Bruce: Well, I'm no spring chicken and memory does play tricks from time to time, but not in this instance. Someone at MGM/Warner, for some reason, did indeed tamper with the music mix sometime after the the 1980s VHS release. In fact, I just found, and played, an actual recording of the whole film I did on reel-to-reel tape back in the late 1960s when it was premiered on network TV!! Both the network TV showing, the VHS tape - and a 16mm film print that a friend has which we played for comparison - all have the original mix. Regarding the Crescendo recording: the producer of that disk, Arnold Liebovit, has stated that it includes SOME of the original tracks but is mostly a new recording. You can tell the new stuff from the old by noting the orchestra size. On the re-done stuff they used a smaller orchestra than the MGM orchestra in 1960. And when you compare it to the actual soundtrack recently released you will note the differences. I would imagine it was a local pickup orchestra that was used, hence they didn't name it.
Yes, that now sounds correct. I would doubt, however, that it was a smaller orchestra - the original recording wouldn't have been more than forty to fifty players - that was the norm back then for most all films. As to a remix, it just makes no sense on any level, unless they were remixing the film into stereo for the laser and DVD releases, which is possible. But the music is the music and unless they screwed up something (certainly possible) then it should be the same. IF they screwed it up, hopefully it will be fixed for the Blu-ray - of course, if they include the original mono track it would have to be the same as it was when the film was released.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I took a slightly longer listen to the track called End Title on both the 1987 Crescendo and 2005 FSM release.

On the 1987 recording, at the 1:53 time mark, I can hear the difference. On the 2005 version, that same place is at 1:41, I hear it after the 3 chimes in both versions. What I am hearing is not a remix. What i am hearing in the 1987 rerecording right after the 3 chimes is a slightly longer version with two or three extra notes to add emphasis to the Filby theme. Or those two or three notes were cut from the version used in the film. In the 2005 version, it sounds exactly like the soundtrack on the DVD.

That's all I can tell from the sources I have on hand. The difference is a very real one. I can see why Danny feels the extra notes in the re-recording makes the end more emotional. It's subtle.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Happened to catch part of this on Film 4 here in the UK today it looks very much like they have revisited this transfer as the image looks much better than the old SD transfer they used to broadcast. Even though its only a 576i SD 16:9 image there was a lot more detail & a hint of digital tools being used as it was a very good looking SD broadcast with much better contrast & colours.

I would not be surprised if this was a newish transfer!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Still no artwork? I'm almost afraid to see what abomination they'll come up with. Warner used to be the best studio with regards to cover art. Look at what they dug up for TIGHTROPE :eek:

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Agreed cineMANIAC. Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything recently about The Time Machine (1960).

And I am hoping for a double Blu release with the 2002 remake. My wife (Kyrsten) loves that film.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
cineMANIAC said:
Still no artwork? I'm almost afraid to see what abomination they'll come up with. Warner used to be the best studio with regards to cover art. Look at what they dug up for TIGHTROPE :eek:
There is not an official announcement yet. We only know this from a post on the WAC's FB page. Art work will come with formal announcement along with list of extras.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Dick said:
Classics Illustrated comics are available on eBay, some of them at great prices. I once owned about a hundred of them. The Time Machine is excellent, and I'd also recommend War Of the Worlds.
Just thought you'd like to know that there was also a Dell/Four Color comic book of the Time Machine which is based on the movie and sports a photo of Rod taylor on the cover. Great news that this classic will be release on Bluray.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
LouA said:
Just thought you'd like to know that there was also a Dell/Four Color comic book of the Time Machine which is based on the movie and sports a photo of Rod taylor on the cover. Great news that this classic will be release on Bluray.
I own a copy of that Dell comic, and it's in pretty damn good condition too.

In the 3rd month of 2014, and no further word on this. Hopefully Warner is still planning on this coming out this year. I don't really pay enough attention to the correlations between release date and when they were officially announced, so maybe it could still be a while before we need to start worrying. Is it like 3-4 months out perhaps?

John Doe

Second Unit
Real Name
aki jebivetar
Are you ready for some good news? TTM is hitting blu-ray in July. Confirmed by Warner's press site.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Secure the $13.99 price point while you can! It will NOT get cheaper before release and it WILL go up before release!

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks