What's new

The Tick - Amazon Prime (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Is anyone going to watch The Tick on Amazon Prime? I never could get into the Patrick Warburton show although I thought his voice and physique was almost perfectly Tick. The two snippets they put out of the new show have me intrigued.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I've also seen two clips from the pilot; not sure if they're the same clips John saw.

My thoughts:
The suit is terrible. The lighter blue definitely calls back to the animated show, but it's over textured and the cowl is amateurish. The original live action "The Tick" benefited from Patrick Warburton having a Tick shaped head, and facial expressions that mirrored what we imagined going on underneath the animated character's mask. But Peter Serafinowicz's head is not Tick-shaped. They should have done more with the rubber of the mask to make his head more rectangular. And rather than having his eyes visible through latex eye holes, they should have gone with white lenses that hid his eyes entirely.

Peter Serafinowicz's Tick voice is actually closer to Townsend Coleman's voice from the animated series than Patrick Warburton's was. But Warburton brought such brilliance of his own to the Tick's intonations that it's hard to imagine any other voice.

The dialog in both clips was spot on 100 percent classic "Tick."

Not sure how I feel about the darker, grittier universe with guns and blood that this iteration of The Tick finds himself in. It's harder to embrace the absurdity when you see the real consequences of it. I liked the lightness of the previous television iterations.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I watched, and loved, the '90s cartoon. I might still have my The Tick toy from Burger King. I watched the Warburton live action show too, at least in part. And I've sampled the comic. I'm as much of a Tick fan as the next '80s kid.

So I watched the first episode, hopeful. I expect -- want -- the Tick to be funny, satirical, and light. This had The Tick right, but it's wrapped in a Jessica Jones-type world (if not that completely dark). It's more than dark comedy, its just dark at times.

I'm unsure what I think about it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's it perfectly: "It's harder to embrace the absurdity when you see the real consequences of it."

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I'm sorry. Just as Shelly Duvall is Olive Oyl, and Robin Williams is BOTH Popeye and Mork, Patrick Warburton IS The Tick.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When do more episodes get released? I thought these streaming shows emerged as a complete season.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When do more episodes get released? I thought these streaming shows emerged as a complete season.
This is a pilot. If enthusiasm is sufficient, Amazon will produce an entire run of shows. The Last Tycoon is the most recent Amazon pilot that received a series order.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found a half hour this morning to watch this, and I enjoyed it well enough. Darker than I imagined it would be, but it had some humor and I would certainly watch a season of it if available. I left a four-star rating.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Half way through The Tick season and so far I'm loving it. Each show is 25-30 minutes long and wow does it go fast. Only 6 episodes for the first new season and so they get to the point pretty quickly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My brother is a huge Tick fan. He said he hated the dark tone and cursing. He still loves the animated, and Fox live action series.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I still haven't finished the last episode. Lots of review material came in, so that last program will have to wait.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I really like this show.
The Tick is one of my favorite characters ever but
Somehow I still haven’t finished season 1.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I mentioned in the first sentence that I like It but somehow I watch one and then forget about it for months.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'd watched the pilot episode loooong ago, put it on my "watch list," watched episode 2 at some point, and promptly forgot about it until a few days ago. Over a couple of days I watched the entire series.

I really enjoyed it, got a few laughs, liked the absurdity of it all, loved The Tick himself, and felt Arthur was well done. I don't have a history of reading the comics or watching the animated series but watched and enjoyed the live action series with Warburton. This one had much of the same feeling. The only thing that annoyed me was the blatant Amazon product placement for "Alexa." At least it was short and not really overused. The villain was sufficiently absurd, the plot good, with good supporting characters and interaction.

I'll be watching S2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks